Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:12:57 pm

Author Topic: QLD grading  (Read 5608 times)

XD12345

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
QLD grading
« on: August 25, 2020, 06:53:29 pm »
I’ve been on a lot of forums where people talk about their grades and what ATAR is possible with certain grades in each subjects etc. I am currently in year 12 and I’ve been working with percentages this whole year. I’m just wondering what percentage is actually equivalent to what grade (including + and -) because it would allow me to have a better understanding of the discussions.

Thank you

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: QLD grading
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 05:19:47 pm »
+1
Hey!

In the reading I've done I haven't seen anything from QCAA tying specific percentages to grades, additionally, even if you did know what grades tied to what percentages that wouldn't give you enough info to predict ATARs given that it's all about relative performance compared to the rest of the state and the information on what everyone's marks are isn't available.

There's no consistent system for what % mark goes to what letter grade but generally above 90% would be A+ and people think of C as being around 50%.

If you look at the way Victoria figures out A, A+ etc. it's dependent on the % of the state which achieves that score so it changes between subjects and years. (e.g. 2019 data)

I again want to emphasise to you that even in states where there is this kind of historical record no one can actually know for sure for ATARs are possible with your scores so far. Some predictions are more likely to come true than others but nothing is a done deal yet.

Do you mind sharing how they were trying to make this predictions about possible ATARs?
I'm struggling to think of what information base could be used to support those given that we don't know average IA grades etc.

I hope this helps!

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
Re: QLD grading
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 05:17:40 pm »
+1
I’ve been on a lot of forums where people talk about their grades and what ATAR is possible with certain grades in each subjects etc. I am currently in year 12 and I’ve been working with percentages this whole year. I’m just wondering what percentage is actually equivalent to what grade (including + and -) because it would allow me to have a better understanding of the discussions.

Thank you

Hey!

From what i've heard from my teachers, QCAA will determine grade boundaries once results come in. They will generate a distribution curve that will determine grade boundaries based on the spread of data from all of the IAs and EAs.
Every school will have different grade boundaries and those may just be their guesses as to what the boundaries could be.
For example, at my school to get a C you need to get above 40%, B is above 60% and an A is above 80% (with an A+ being 96% and above).

Do you mind sharing how they were trying to make this predictions about possible ATARs?
I'm struggling to think of what information base could be used to support those given that we don't know average IA grades etc.

My school has the exact same thoughts. We aren't doing any predictions due to the fact that there is no data. We have been trying to guess how subjects will scale based on how they scaled in the OP system (which makes it difficult when looking at subjects that didn't exist in OP such as psych). 
From what i've heard, my school wont be doing predictions for a few years. They are going to wait until the system really settles in.
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics