Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:54:55 am

Author Topic: Currently in the process of updating my resume  (Read 2051 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Currently in the process of updating my resume
« on: December 12, 2019, 10:39:26 pm »
+1
Not only have I lost the original resume I wrote all the way back in Year 9, it was also very outdated. I am also lost when it comes to the structure of my resume, and given that I have barely any work experience so far in my life, and my ATAR and results weren't very impressive, I don't really have much to say about myself that would convince someone to hire me. Aside from your typical "hardworking, reliable, willing to learn". What I have found from my consultation with Google has only yielded rather vague and unhelpful instructions.

If this gives anyone reading some more context, I'm mostly applying to restaurants, fast food included.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Currently in the process of updating my resume
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 10:44:56 pm »
Do you have any volunteering and/or school activities/leadership experience?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 11:03:58 pm »
+5
Hey, JR_StudyEd!

You could use the resume template attached I made for myself in Careers (this was a subject we did in Year 10 that literally forced us to do this and I am so glad it did) as a guide. It basically outlines everything you should include in it and should be no more than two pages long.

Do you have any volunteering and/or school activities/leadership experience?

And I second this as things to consider. You can be creative with what you can put in it! If you did any extra-curricular activities in school, got involved in any charity work, even something like babysitting, include them! I put down my AMEB course qualifications for music, that I played in my high school futsal team and that I did work experience at a bakery even though I was applying for a tutoring position because it showed that I had extra interests and pursued other activities beyond academic study. Your results won't matter if you're looking for a job in fast food or restaurants; they'll be looking for more signs of initiative, enthusiasm and eagerness to try new things  :)

Hope this helps! Keen to see what others suggest  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 11:09:36 pm »
Not only have I lost the original resume I wrote all the way back in Year 9, it was also very outdated. I am also lost when it comes to the structure of my resume, and given that I have barely any work experience so far in my life, and my ATAR and results weren't very impressive, I don't really have much to say about myself that would convince someone to hire me. Aside from your typical "hardworking, reliable, willing to learn". What I have found from my consultation with Google has only yielded rather vague and unhelpful instructions.

If this gives anyone reading some more context, I'm mostly applying to restaurants, fast food included.
Your results and atar really have no relevance to the positions your applying for. Usually other achievements as mentioned in previous posts will hold more value as it shows what kind of person you are. Atar and Hsc results are purely for getting into university. After that they don't matter at all.

Anyway I hope you get the job =)