Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:56:07 pm

Author Topic: daily life of an engineer?  (Read 5335 times)  Share 

LiquidPaperz

daily life of an engineer?
« on: August 20, 2014, 11:37:20 am »
Im interested in civil, followed my electrical but i was wondering exactly what do these engineer's do. Right now im interested in engineering/commerce, im a math/sciency/interested in business student and their isn't anything else that appeals to be other then the two courses mentioned. Im not exactly sure what a engineer does, i know they design stuff is that about it? (need to be at drawings? is this true). I know theres lots of math involved and i love math so thats one box ticked.

Thanks

huaxiadragon

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Life is like Tetris, You can't take it back
  • Respect: +31
Re: daily life of an engineer?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 10:01:13 pm »
+3
Hi Mate

Im currently working as an engineer at the moment. I am an electrical engineer.

From my experience and essentially what I heard from at work.

Daily life of an engineer is truly different each day, you are always working on different things, so it's definitely not boring.
Most engineers after graduation do a bit of technical work, such as calculating stress of a concrete beam or power required for a railway traction motor etc. Over the years they move on to more managerial positions.

I am an electrical engineer, I also do a lot of programming. I can tell you for the last few weeks I have been working on oil and gas projects involving software design. Mainly programming everyday, writing up user manual and test the program for bugs etc. On some other days I was involved in doing some work in railway/signalling and signalling management system, looking at business opportunities. So everyday is different and being an engineer is indeed very rewarding and fulfilling.

Hope that helps
ATAR 2010: 98.15
Chemistry: 50

2011-2013 (UoM | Bachelor of Science | Electrical Systems Major)

2014-2015 (UoM | Master of Engineering | Electrical | First Class Honours)

2016-2017 (Graduate Electrical Engineer)

2017+ Senior Engineer (Electronic Maintenance)

My Personal Guide on How I studied to get a 50!
Huaxiadragon's Experience in getting a 50 in Chem (Guide to How I studied)

odeaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
Re: daily life of an engineer?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 08:59:20 am »
http://youtu.be/rW2bjgGQVng
This video gives a rough idea of what one engineer does, although its a very broad field and its different for everyone
VCE Class of 2015

Monash Uni