Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 01:23:38 pm

Author Topic: Law at Monash  (Read 10849 times)  Share 

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
Re: Law at Monash
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008, 06:06:39 pm »
IMO, Internal transfers @ Monash r easier than starting somewhere else and transferring 2 Monash.

If u're trying 2 transfer 2 Monash, u need a very prettiful transcript.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2008, 06:14:22 pm »
Yeah, I know heaps of people who transferred to law from arts, commerce, even performing arts (?!), but only one who managed to come from VU
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2008, 10:28:30 pm »
So basically, if we get into any course at Monash (even the ones which require a minimal ENTER score), and complete one year, then we can just transfer into straight law?

If this is the case, all of my problems are solved! :))

costargh

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2008, 10:43:58 pm »
Its highly competitive from what I hear...
Also, can courses be transferred after a semester or do some courses require a full year of study to be completed before applying for transfer? My bro applied for Eng from Sci, but I'm not sure if it differs for other courses/faculties.

ninwa

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2008, 02:37:10 pm »
I'm pretty sure for law it's a full year. Not sure about Eng tho costa.

xox.happy1.xox, it's not that easy, I think you need a distinction or high distinction average in your course. I really have no idea how the performing arts person got into law, but generally the transfers have been from arts or commerce

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2008, 11:32:11 pm »
You'll need a HD average to be competitive.

In retrospect, I could've done it (86% average) if I had wanted to - and I only got 93 for an ENTER.

In other words, if you're keen and willing to put in the hard yards in your first year of your degree, you may very well get into law via a lateral transfer.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

vce01

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2008, 01:37:37 pm »
is there a reason why some people say law isn't that good and stuff...or is it just down to personal opinion?

looking at doing law/arts...anyone doing that? would like to know how it is, thanks :)
ENTER - 96.00

2009: Commerce/Law @ ANU.

ninwa

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2008, 05:03:07 pm »
I'm doing arts/law at Monash :) and having a lot of fun with it! Arts is the coolest degree EVER :P

That said, law is one of those subjects where unless you really have an interest in it, it'll be hell to study ... be prepared for lots and lots of reading!

Golfa

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2008, 07:12:10 pm »
You'll need a HD average to be competitive.

In retrospect, I could've done it (86% average) if I had wanted to - and I only got 93 for an ENTER.

In other words, if you're keen and willing to put in the hard yards in your first year of your degree, you may very well get into law via a lateral transfer.

i went to the open day today and they said they accepted people with a 70 average although a couple said a 80 average would 'easily' get you in and the cut offs around 75ish...

2007:
History: Revolutions

2008:
English
Further Maths
Psychology
Math Methods CAS       
Legal Studies

vce01

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2008, 06:14:43 pm »
I'm doing arts/law at Monash :) and having a lot of fun with it! Arts is the coolest degree EVER :P

That said, law is one of those subjects where unless you really have an interest in it, it'll be hell to study ... be prepared for lots and lots of reading!

lol, reading isn't really work for me, so i guess that should be alright. byy coolest, what do you mean exactly? :p like, what's good about it haha.
ah, i should've gone to monash's open day -_-
ENTER - 96.00

ninwa

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2008, 06:38:59 pm »
it's cool because of the huge range of subjects you can do ... from languages to psychology to philosophy to sociology to linguistics to literature to journalism to politics to international law etc etc

I'm biased, but I reckon arts subjects are some of the most interesting and rewarding ones that you can study ... though I do admit many of them are useless once you graduate into the real world ... but that's what the law side of my degree is for ;)

vce01

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2008, 02:27:22 pm »
it's cool because of the huge range of subjects you can do ... from languages to psychology to philosophy to sociology to linguistics to literature to journalism to politics to international law etc etc

I'm biased, but I reckon arts subjects are some of the most interesting and rewarding ones that you can study ... though I do admit many of them are useless once you graduate into the real world ... but that's what the law side of my degree is for ;)

that sounds pretty good, really interested in journalism so good to know i can do that. excepptt, having a look now, its not available at clayton? that sucks lol.
ENTER - 96.00

ninwa

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2008, 05:52:31 pm »

that sounds pretty good, really interested in journalism so good to know i can do that. excepptt, having a look now, its not available at clayton? that sucks lol.

yeah it's only offered at caulfield. my friend has to take the shuttle bus to get to her journalism classes