Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:25:19 am

Author Topic: _  (Read 1947 times)

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
_
« on: July 04, 2019, 11:37:17 pm »
_
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 06:27:09 pm by Snow Leopard »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Ball
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 12:26:28 am »
+6
It is your decision. I could respond to this saying "you'll regret it", "don't miss out on a great once in a lifetime opportunity" but I too did not go to my ball/formal so I can understand.

If their hassling is getting to you after you've reminded them that it's your decision, I would definitely either speak to your parents or somebody who can advise on the matter. Teachers who encourage (sometimes over the top) have the best intentions but unfortunately their interpretation of trying to do good isn't being received in the right way.

Again, it's your decision and you shouldn't be made to feel like you have an obligation to go. If it was a requirement as part of a leadership role and you understood that and took on the role anyway, then it's a different story... but yeah.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 12:53:56 am »
+9
Ok, so we can rule out the "i'm a leader so I have an obligation to go" reason.

Stuff what the teacher thinks (and I don't say that lightly as I'm one myself) - know that nobody can pressure you into going. The ball is not a compulsory event as it's outside school hours, so if all else fails you have that to fall back on. You cannot be made to attend something outside of school hours unless your parents are notified and have given consent for it to happen.

I think you are analysing this way too much - I am interested why you are so concerned as to what a teacher thinks/says about this issue. They have absolutely no authority to force you to go. Like I said, if it bothers you (the way the teacher is pressuring you), speak to your parents and/or somebody e.g. student coordinator.

I'm glad you can see they have the best intentions (and they probably do, not saying anything to suggest otherwise), but have you stated to them that you feel uncomfortable with what they're saying/doing? They might not even be aware of it. If you have (or don't want to tell them), refer to previous comment above re: parent/coordinator.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 12:57:24 am by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 06:35:02 am »
+1
Unless it is a requirement of your leadership role that you attend (and not just something your teacher is using to pressure you), it is entirely your decision and you have no obligation to go. Do whatever you would prefer and don't subject yourself to a school dance unless you think that you will enjoy it.