Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:05:16 am

Author Topic: 2019 YR10 BIO 1/2 discussion  (Read 4446 times)

justinely

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
2019 YR10 BIO 1/2 discussion
« on: December 10, 2018, 02:58:32 pm »
+4
Bio is one of the most popular vce subject to study in Year 10- if not, the most popular! So, i thought i should make a forum dedicated for discussions regarding this. You can post questions you need help with so we can discuss together, or share your experience so far and what you think about bio, or share some helpful tips/resources, just to name a few! :) I hope this forum will be useful for everyone!! :D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 06:17:59 pm by justinely »
'21
English 50 | FM 43
ATAR: 97+

aspiringantelope

Re: 2019 (yr10) BIO 1/2 discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 03:03:26 pm »
Bio is one of the most popular vce subject to study in Year 10- if not, the most popular! So, i thought i should make a forum dedicated for discussions regarding this. You can post questions you need help with so we can discuss together, or share your experience so far and what you think about bio, or share some helpful tips/resources, just to name a few! :) I hope this forum will be useful for everyone!! :D
Should I do Biology over Economics/Accounting or Legal Studies? Is Biology just remembering content and how it relates to the nature of life? Are there any formula's that we will need to know for Biology, as in like Speed = Distance/Time in Physics? Is there a great workload?
Thanks for creating this thread :)

justinely

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 03:11:31 pm »
+4
Should I do Biology over Economics/Accounting or Legal Studies? Is Biology just remembering content and how it relates to the nature of life? Are there any formula's that we will need to know for Biology, as in like Speed = Distance/Time in Physics? Is there a great workload?

Hi! Which subject you choose depends on your own interests, so you should consider that! :) And yes, bio is about understanding the nature of life and how life can be sustained, you know, stuff like cells, organs, respiration, dna, and so on. For all subjects, you must "remember content", but i think with bio, you should understand rather than just memorise, because everything in bio is related! (like cells and organs etc) And regarding formulas, there's only ONE or two formulas you need to know!! :D And that is photosynthesis and cellular respiration (which is literally just the opposite of photosynthesis ahaha). And that's about all i can say, because i have not started bio at school yet because its still 2018 ;D But i do have a head start because i am studying it at tutor hehe. Hope this helps, and its my pleasure!!  :) :)
'21
English 50 | FM 43

aspiringantelope

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 03:17:14 pm »
Hi! Which subject you choose depends on your own interests, so you should consider that! :) And yes, bio is about understanding the nature of life and how life can be sustained, you know, stuff like cells, organs, respiration, dna, and so on. For all subjects, you must "remember content", but i think with bio, you should understand rather than just memorise, because everything in bio is related! (like cells and organs etc) And regarding formulas, there's only ONE or two formulas you need to know!! :D And that is photosynthesis and cellular respiration (which is literally just the opposite of photosynthesis ahaha). And that's about all i can say, because i have not started bio at school yet because its still 2018 ;D But i do have a head start because i am studying it at tutor hehe. Hope this helps, and its my pleasure!!  :) :)
Wow thanks for that!!! Might consider Biology again :p

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 03:18:44 pm »
+3
Sounds like a great idea!

I studied bio 1&2 in year 10 too :)

I thought I'd leave a few relevant links here:
VCAA biology page
the biology board

Best of luck with the year ahead & let me know if there's anything I could do to help this group out :)

No one can make that decision for you, and we definitely don't have enough information about you & your circumstances atm to provide you advice. VCE biology doesn't really use formulas,

I'd encourage you to have a quick look at the study design to see what the main topic are :)
You could also look at the VCE subject reviews to see different perspectives

justinely

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 03:20:04 pm »
Wow thanks for that!!! Might consider Biology again :p

No problem!!!
'21
English 50 | FM 43

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 10:37:06 pm »
+2
I did 1/2 bio in year 10 too! I didn’t even realise that bio was a popular subject to do in year 10 until earlier this year haha

Really cool that you’ve started this thread, especially given it’s probably a lot of people’s first VCE subject ;D

You’re welcome to ask any questions about what you’re learning here as well.

Is there anything in particular that you’re looking forward to learning about?
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

justine__

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 03:56:02 pm »
I did 1/2 bio in year 10 too! I didn’t even realise that bio was a popular subject to do in year 10 until earlier this year haha

Really cool that you’ve started this thread, especially given it’s probably a lot of people’s first VCE subject ;D

You’re welcome to ask any questions about what you’re learning here as well.

Is there anything in particular that you’re looking forward to learning about?

Thanks!! Hmm not at the moment, but I’ll make sure to ask questions next year, when I start the subject at school! 😄😄

Thanks!!😄 Hmm not at the moment, I’ll make sure to ask questions when I start the subject next year 😊

Friendsfvv

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 05:06:18 pm »
+2

Hey there! I did Biology in year 10 last year and it was the correct decision for me. Despite often being referred to as the "easiest" science (other than psych if you count that), Biology is not a subject where you can just wing through the year. Biology requires constant revision, just like other subjects and it requires you to understand and memorise the content. The trick about Biology isn't about how much of the content you remember, but rather how you apply the knowledge to answer what the question is asking. Sounds simple, but the way you structure your answer to demonstrate full knowledge in response to a question is what separates year 12 students apart.

In Accounting, you need constant repetition and practice. Unlike Biology where you have to understand, in Accounting, you need to memorise. If you are a maths type of person, go for accounting, but if you prefer a subject with common knowledge and common reasoning skills, I'd say go for biology.
2018 - Biology [47]
Happy to do tutoring in Melbourne CBD, flexible rates and times :)

2019 - Methods, French, Chinese, English Language, Chemistry

w0lfqu33n89

• Trendsetter
  • This is my text until I find another poetic quote
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 12:41:47 pm »
Hey all, I am yet another bio nerd trying to invade year 11's and take a spot in there yr 11 class. all the posts here are from 2018, is this still being used?

justinely

• Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 09:49:04 pm »
+1
hiii, yes it is :))

Hey all, I am yet another bio nerd trying to invade year 11's and take a spot in there yr 11 class. all the posts here are from 2018, is this still being used?
'21
English 50 | FM 43

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 04:58:41 pm »
Hey guys!
I was just wondering where you are all up to in Unit 1 this year? We are having our AoS1 test on April 26th. Does that seem late?

Also, what have you guys been struggling with so far? For me, it has been vascular plants.

justinely

• Trailblazer
Re: 2019 YR10 BIO 1/2 discussion
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 06:27:37 pm »
+2
Hey everyone!! Wowow this chat has been so dead haha. Just wanted to ask how's everyone going with bio so far?

I personally think it's been great, although i found some parts a little boring, cough cough adaptations. I've been averaging about 80% in all my tests so far (hopefully i can do better next semester!) I honestly did not study much at all, which is terrible because i cannot stop procrastinating :-\ (this applies for all my subjects). This semester, my final exam's ranking was 4th! I'm not too disappointed, but i can definitely do better next time. How's about you guys?
'21
English 50 | FM 43

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 07:15:27 pm »
+3
I've been really enjoying bio, but the Unit 2 content certainly interests me a lot more than what we have been doing. I've been really happy with my marks, so far A* on everything with a 95% on the final exam, which I believe was the highest mark in my class, although there are also two other classes.

Overall I've found the workload fairly good. How have you found balancing it with your other subjects?

justinely

• Trailblazer
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 08:45:50 pm »
+1
I've been really enjoying bio, but the Unit 2 content certainly interests me a lot more than what we have been doing. I've been really happy with my marks, so far A* on everything with a 95% on the final exam, which I believe was the highest mark in my class, although there are also two other classes.

Overall I've found the workload fairly good. How have you found balancing it with your other subjects?

Hi, that's great!! Personally I have not had any trouble with balancing it with my other subjects, including my other unit 1/2 subject. It honestly just feels like normal subjects, if that makes any sense.
'21
English 50 | FM 43