Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:52:31 pm

Author Topic: HSC (Holky's School Conclusion)  (Read 5273 times)

holky

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
HSC (Holky's School Conclusion)
« on: August 14, 2018, 07:02:14 pm »
+5
So hey, I'm Holky (If you ask real nice I'll tell you how I got that nickname). I know that half of the HSC is over, but I wanted to get in on the fun.
My subjects are English Advanced, English Extension 1, Music 1, Modern History, Drama and CAFS. Last year, I accelerated in Mathematics and got a band 5 yeet.
I just finished trials, thank god, and I'm currently focusing on my music and drama performances and submissions later this term. I'm doing four performances in music and a directors folio for my drama IP - if you ask me about it, I'll talk for hours, so please ask haha. I'm coming first internally for all my subjects, which trials should hopefully cement.
I'm aiming to get band 6's in everything and an E4 in extension, and my ATAR goal is 98. I have a uni offer and scholarship from Western Sydney. I'm planning to do a Bachelor of Arts (Pathway to Teaching Secondary) at WSU.
So yeah, that's me. I don't know how often I'll update this, maybe once a week? Yeah, that sounds good. Oh yeah and besides school stuff, I'm super into theatre and am an actor. I miss theatre (I'm taking a break for the HSC) but theatre companies near me have already started announcing their seasons for next year so I've started planning.
So that's it for the first installation of Holky's School Conclusion.

English Advanced  English Extension 1 Modern History CAFS Music 1 Drama

Mathematics 84

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: HSC (Holky's School Conclusion)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 07:15:43 pm »
+2
Soooo... How'd you get the nickname? ;)

Awesome to have you in the journal jubilee! Awesome goals, awesome plans, just awesome all round. I'd love to hear more about your music performances!! ;D

holky

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 08:25:24 pm »
+3
Soooo... How'd you get the nickname? ;)
Well, since you asked haha
Picture the scene, 13 year old me has just been cast in her first play (As You Like It, if you care to know) and she is ecstatic. So, there's a facebook group for this play and someone makes a post introducing themselves and everyone else hops on board that train, including me. Except, I was typing very quickly in my excitement about my first play and I spelt my name wrong. So there you have it, the story of Holky. Thanks for picking up on my not-so-subtle clue haha
I'd love to hear more about your music performances!! ;D
I will gladly oblige :)
I was originally going to do three performances and a comp but my teacher was absolutely useless when I asked her to help get me started so I scrapped that idea and decided to go with four performances.
So I'm a singer which is why I didn't want to do all performance, but my vocal tutor is a legend and we've been working on getting my stamina up. This is my song list in order:
Somewhere That's Green from Little Shop of Horrors (Music of the 20th and 21st Century)
Art is Calling for Me from the Enchantress (Theatre Music)
Heroes by Mika (Pop Music)
Pulled from the Addams Family (Also Pop Music)
If you couldn't tell, my favourite genre is musical theatre, and I've worked my song list to reflect that. I think it's a pretty good mix, I have upbeat and energetic songs and slower more subdued songs plus a mix of some super high soprano stuff and some more mezzo belting and some stuff in between.
It looks to me like I've typed a lot because I'm on phone rn so I hope this isn't like an essay length reply.
I've also realised that I'll probably update way more than once a week because I obsessively check to see if there's new replies to my posts haha

Mathematics 84

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 08:41:23 pm »
+1
Hi holky! Great to have you here - excited to read more!!

Here's my question: What made you want to become a teacher? And another one: what subject/s do you want to teach?
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

holky

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 09:05:23 pm »
+3
Here's my question: What made you want to become a teacher? And another one: what subject/s do you want to teach?
I think if I had to choose something, I'd probably say my year 10 English teacher. She was a literal angel and helped me so much to improve. But she didn't ignore any of the class, like most teachers would ignore the low ability students to focus on the smart kids or vice versa but she paid equal attention to everyone and that was really inspirational to me. Plus that year my family was given a month to move which scared me away from pursuing acting because of the whole financial security thing. I'm leaning back towards acting again, but education's still a really big passion for me so I'm going to get my teaching degree and just see where life takes me.
In regards to subjects, I'm planning on teaching English, History and Drama :)
Like I said in my last reply, I obsessively check this website, so get used to quick replies on this thread haha

Mathematics 84

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 09:37:20 pm »
Hey holky,
I'm really keen to read through all of your updates (I also did 4 performances for music & am doing education now)!  ;D
Congrats on the scholarship-really amazing!! What made you choose Western Sydney?
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

holky

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 07:50:30 am »
+2
Hey holky,
I'm really keen to read through all of your updates (I also did 4 performances for music & am doing education now)!  ;D
How'd you find doing 4 performances? I'm finding it really fun because I get to play around with different (ish) styles. What's your instrument? I'm a singer and I was sooo sick during trial performance which sucked heaps.
Congrats on the scholarship-really amazing!! What made you choose Western Sydney?
Hey thanks!
Well, I literally made a table with WSU and other unis and then I assigned them point values for different things like location and duration of degree and scholarships, then I weighted everything, so scholarships was worth more than the duration of the degree for example, and added the totals up. WSU had the highest score. Plus, I already knew I had a guaranteed offer and scholarship from a program I did in year 11.
So yeah, WSU it is :)

Mathematics 84

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 07:35:30 pm »
How'd you find doing 4 performances? I'm finding it really fun because I get to play around with different (ish) styles. What's your instrument? I'm a singer and I was sooo sick during trial performance which sucked heaps.
I've played the clarinet for 11 years and I loved doing 4 performances. My topics were an instrument and its repertoire, 19th Century music, and 20/21st century music. My pieces were also different enough that I didn't get too bored with them and I had heaps of stuff to practise.
These were my pieces if your interested:

Must be so hard as a singer if your sick. Hopefully everything goes really well for your HSC!  ;D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

holky

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 06:54:05 am »
+3
Thanks for all the support guys!!
So it's only been like a day since I dtarted this but I feel like updating this lmao
So yesterday, I got my marks back for music. For my performances, I got a 19, 20, 18 and 20 (out of 20) for my songs. I'm really freaking proud bc I was soooo sick during that, to the point where I had to stop halfway through one of my songs to have a coughing fit. So I was really worried that my marks might not be amazing because of that. I was also really happy bc the song I had to stop was one of the ones I got 20 for!
She also told us our exam mark - we can't have the actual exam back yet until the end of August. So I got the second highest mark of 28/30 which I am super happy with, especially considering my teacher almost never gets us doing theory. It's super frustrating, and I'm kinda thinking about looking for a music tutor to help me keep up with and keep improving the theory.
I also got an assessment from last term back in CAFS - 40/40. My new hope is that the trial comes back 100% bc then I would have a perfect internal score. During my prep for trials, doing past papers, I realised that I finish the exam with an hour to go. I got my teacher to check my responses and she had almost no problems with my work. I was worried I might not have been using enough detail,  but she said I was actually providing more than the question asked in some cases. What does help is I usually finish the multiple choice in 3 minutes and not the recommended 35 minutes. So I'm feeling very confident with CAFS.
Oh, also in English. My teacher for Advanced marked Mod A and my teacher for Extension marked Mod C so I asked them my marks in class. So some context about my Paper 2 - my school gave us the questions and Mod C had a weighting of 20%, Mod B 5% and Mod A had no weighting. But if we didn't attempt all of the questions my school threatened us with n awards. So I /ran out of time/ and /only had time/ to dotpoint a response for Mod A. I got the highest mark of 9/20 for Mod A. I also got 19/20 for Mod C which I'm actually very happy with.
I'm hoping the rest of my marks come in quickly because I am DYING to know how I went.
Oh, and last night I edited my folio for Drama. I spent an hour just fixing up my set drawings and they look so much better now. My logbook is now about a week behind. I had it ready to give to my teachers during trials, but she didn't want them then, and asked to have them this week. She hasn't asked for them yet. Oh, also got the date we're performing. Well, dates, we're a big class. So on the 27th I submit my directors folio and our performance days are the 28th and 29th. It's kinda scary how close it is, but I think we'll be ready.
That is it for today.
This has been Holky's School Conclusion (HSC) - just a headsup I'm going to mention this at least once a post bc I'm very proud of it

Mathematics 84

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 09:50:00 am »
Loooove the HSC pun hahahaha.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

holky

• Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 09:04:48 am »
+3
Time for an update!
On Friday, I got my Extension exam marks - 21/25 for the creative and 25/25 for the essay.
I am super super happy with that. I also got the marks back for one section of my Modern exam - I got 8/10 for part a and 14/15 for part b of the personality question. Pretty happy with that, but I really want to see the exam so I can see where I lost the mark and if I can possibly get an extra mark. Also, got 20/20 for the multiple choice in my CAFS exam. The exam's still being marked, but my teacher could see some of the marks that had been uploaded to SENTRAL and she told me for sure that I've lost 3 marks in the sections that have been marked so far. Disappointing that I won't get a perfect internal score, but I'm not too upset about it because I should still get a really awesome mark. Plus, I wasn't aiming for a 100 when I sat the exam, that goal developed when I found out my mark for the assessment before.
I'm now starting to freak out about drama next week. My group keeps ignoring my messages trying to organise rehearsals, and we kinda need them. I really hope we can actually organise something so we can polish our performance and get it ready. I do actually have less stress than most of my class as I'm only performing my GP and not doing a performance IP. At this point, my directors folio is pretty well near ready for submission. I just need to update my logbook and make a few adjustments to my actual folio and then I'm done. Oh, I also need to figure out what referencing, if any, I need to do and then do that, but I got pretty quick at doing that in my uni unit last year (had a uni assessment due every week, it was insane). I'm pretty stress-free about my folio, and I'm hoping that doesn't change between now and next Monday. I'm pretty confident, probably because I've pretty much been done since May, and I've just been refining it since then.
I had some medical stuff last week, all is well now, but I didn't end up going to WSU open day bc I needed a mental health day after the stress of the medical crap. I'm kind of bummed I didn't go, but it was the best choice for me brain and I already know I'm going to WSU anyway so it's not like I really needed to.
I'm sure I'll be updating this again really soon once I get more marks back, but for now, this has been Holky's School Conclusion. Yeet.

Mathematics 84

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 11:58:01 am »
Congrats on your extension, modern and CAFS marks!!  ;D
Good luck for drama next week! Hope it goes well!!  :D What day is it?
What uni unit did you do last year? How did you find it?

holky

• Forum Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 10:10:10 pm »
+2
Congrats on your extension, modern and CAFS marks!!  ;D
Thanks so much! I'm pretty happy with everything I've gotten back so far!
Got my mark back for the entire CAFS exam - 95/100 which I am spectacularly happy with! It was the highest mark, which makes my rank for the whole year first - hOORAY. Plus, because of weighting, the mark my school submits to NESA should be a 99 (if they round up and I'm hoping they do).
Good luck for drama next week! Hope it goes well!!  :D What day is it?
Again, thank you!
I'm performing my GP on Tuesday, and submitting my folio on Monday. I'm actually printing everything off as I type this! It's crazy to think it's this week! At this point, I'm just hoping the GP happens, because one of my group members is basically refusing to speak to me right now. During a rehearsal on Monday, one of our friends interrupted to talk to her, and I was kind of frustrated because hello, we perform next week! and another girl had been interrupting us heaps as well. So I said, listen, I know you're trying to be funny, but we're rehearsing so could you please not interrupt us. Now she's giving me the silent treatment, and the girl in my group is upset with me because I didn't apologise (I have now by the way). Plus we had to cancel rehearsal today because she was feeling sick (I think she just didn't want to deal with me). Oh well, all I can do is push through and be professional over the next couple of days. If she tries being antagonistic, I'm going to ignore her, at least until Wednesday. Our class is big, so our performances go over onto the Wednesday, and she's on the Wednesday, so she gets a free pass until after her HSC. Very frustrating, but what can ya do?
What uni unit did you do last year? How did you find it?
I did Global History at WSU and I loved it!
I got a HD, which I'm super proud of, especially since the tutor I had the first week (because my normal tutor was away) was really condescending and basically implied he didn't think I could get a distinction. So, proved him wrong!
What sucked was I had a uni assessment every week, on top of year 11 stuff, but it meant I didn't have to do an exam at the end. All up, a pretty awesome experience!

Unrelated to school, a friend of mine has his German speaking exam next Saturday, so we're gonna hang in the city afterwards. He's British, so we're gonna go to the British Lolly Shop in the city, and he's booked/ing (not sure if he's done it yet lol) us tickets to the aquarium! Fun times ahead :)

So yeah, thanks for tuning in to Holky's School Conclusion!

Mathematics 84

holky

• Forum Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 08:55:20 am »
+5
oof I have neglected this so much
I don't remember which marks I've posted yet, and I can't be bothered scrolling to figure it out, so I'm just going to block post them woo
English Advanced
12/15 for short answers
9/15 for creative (yikes)
14/15 for essay (gotta love my boi frank hurley
8/20 for mod a (but it was weighted 0 per cent bc my school is weird idk)
18/20 for mod b
19/20 for mod c
Not gonna talk about the percentage bc it's messed up bc the weighting is all messed up
English Extension
21/25 for creative (hells yeah)
25/25 for essay (hells yeah)
92% overall
Modern History
23/25 for section 1
22/25 for section 2
22/25 for section 3
23/25 for section 4
90% overall
CAFS
95/100 (yeety yeet)
Drama
19/20 for contemporary aus theatre
18/20 for tragedy
92% overall yeet
Music
28/30 theory
93% overall yeet
18/20 core performance
19/20 elective 1
20/20 elective 2
20/20 elective 3
96% overall

So I am extremely happy with everything.
Plus, I've been completing scholarship applications, which revealed to me that I'm first in Advanced, Extension, Modern, CAFS and Music. Not sure about Drama yet, but fingers crossed.

So the last few weeks have been intense.
Lost some friendships bc some bitches were bitches but in the end it was
Started dating a guyy yeet its cute I like him a lot and ye very happy

Oh yeah, drama went super well
We were really happy with our performance, my folio was submitted no dramas

I have my Music HSC on Thursday which I'm hype for
I was sick last week but I'm getting better now so I should be allg to sing on Thursday

Anyway, this has been Holky's School Conclusion,
Seeya next time I remember this exists

Mathematics 84

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 09:01:18 am »