Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 01:12:13 pm

Author Topic: HSC Journey- From Prelims to HSC  (Read 51995 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: HSC Journey- From Prelims to HSC
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2018, 11:54:53 am »
+3
Congrats on getting through your first exam! :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2018, 11:57:29 am »
Congrats on getting through your first exam! :)
It was only 2 hours and I'm already exhausted. I'm not sure how I'm gonna deal with 3 hours xD
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #182 on: August 09, 2018, 08:52:35 pm »
+5
Hey guys,
I just had two exams today and I'm exhausted. I keep finishing my exams early, which is alarming because maybe I'm missing a few things in my paper. Let me actually start talking about Paper 2 and then I'll get to today's exams.

Tuesday: Paper 2
I'm glad I didn't have a panic attack on Tuesday, but I was trying not to vomit after being over-fed at Breakfast Club. Literally though, I wanted a hash brown, a bit of bacon and a sausage but the girl was like "Hey! You want some bread! I'll give you some bread" and puts the hash brown on the bread. There's a reason why I've cut down on carbs- I have the tiniest appetite and even eating rice with something makes me full way to full (which is why I'm considered disgraceful to Asians lmao). Anyway, I spent Monday night trying to memorise quotes from 'Easter 1916', 'Leda and the Swan', 'The Second Coming' and 'Among School Children' because I knew the quotes for 'When You Are Old', 'An Irish Airman' and 'Wild Swans', which meant I sacrificed my time in memorising quotes for Mod C. But then when I saw the question, I was like 'Aight cool I'll do When You Are Old and Wild Swans' because I did a practice paper using those two poems. Turns out I spent so much time memorising quotes for the other poems it took me a while to get the quotes on the page. I also found it difficult to spot techniques in poems. Usually when I see a quote, I can see a few techniques but Yeats is a lot more difficult. It went from doing 3 quotes per poem to 2 quotes per poem to whatever quotes I can remember and throwing in a critic just to make sure I'm fulfilling the 'critical study' part. Now that I think of it, I didn't use first person- my teacher's gonna roast me rip

Mod A and Mod C weren't too bad. I'm surprised I remembered quotes for my Mod C related text, considering I didn't spend too much time memorising the quotes. But I didn't write as much as I wanted to. Usually I write at least 7 pages but I only wrote 6 pages (I think with Yeats I wrote 7 pages). But yeah, I had about 15-20 minutes left so I kinda used that time to cross my t's and fix up my s's.

Today: 2U Math
Again, I finished early. Very early. In fact, by the time I finished, I still had 1 hour to go. The multiple choice was a bit difficult and I feel like I just wrote some dodgy working out- I'm hoping I could at least get a mark for significant progress. I feel like the paper wasn't too bad but my sketches are so ugly lmao. I feel like my dodgy working out put me in a sense of false hope because I was like 'Aight this paper isn't soooo bad' and then I hit question 15 and I was like 'Oh rip :/'. There was a weird applications of calculus question where it was about a moving particle, but the question was like 'What's the velocity as t approaches infinity.' I don't even remember what I did- probably something dodgy. I was stumped on 1 question and I didn't know how to figure out despite me writing down a bunch of related formula.

Also today: Modern
I feel like I could've done better if I actually remembered quotes and statistics. The multiple choice wasn't too bad but last week my teacher warned us when she did the multiple choice, she made a lot of silly mistakes so I'm not sure if I did well in that. The Germany questions weren't too bad but I didn't write as much as I wanted. I only wrote 6 pages and 3 body paragraphs- usually, I write 4 body paragraphs and 7 pages. I feel like I repeated myself a bit in one of the paragraphs. As for the Personality question, Part A was a weird question as well because it wasn't like the questions I've seen (i.e. three key significant events, rise to prominence, describe their life). Part B was okay but I feel like it was a bit repetitive considering how Riefenstahl is only known for impacting film history but not really anything else. Conflict in Europe was where I struggled the most. We only learnt the content last week so I didn't feel prepared at all. Again, the replacement questions weren't too bad but when we went through the content in class, the info we went through didn't feel like I could flesh it out into actual body paragraphs. Again, I wrote 3 body paragraphs and 6 pages. I also finished with 15 minutes left, so I'm not sure if I'm missing stuff or if I just wrote fast.

I'm really not looking forward to Tuesday's exam because I'll have to prepare for two exams again -_-

Anyway, see you soon!

- Olivia
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2018, 03:38:20 pm »
+4
Hey guys,
So today was Day 4 of Trials with my SOR exam. To be honest, it wasn't too bad. I feel like I made a bunch of silly mistakes with the multiple choice- I'm always paranoid with the multiple choice -_- And the question 11 was also a bit weird. We had a stimulus but the stimulus was... not one I've seen from the past papers I did (I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say about the paper so I'm gonna leave it at that). As for Section 2 with the short answers, I kinda thought I would do Christianity in Section 2 and do Islam for Section 3 because we've done an essay on Islam earlier this year. But then when I read the questions, I kinda backtracked with this idea because I didn't know a lot on baptism :/ And the Christianity essay question wasn't too bad. Oh yeah, I misread one of the short answer questions during the exam. Luckily I finished it early (40 minutes early in fact) and rewrote my response underneath the lines provided lmao

As for Section 3, I was really surprised how much writing space they gave us. I was expecting our usual 6-page writing booklet but they gave us a three-page writing booklet. To be honest, I'm not even sure if that's a 'booklet' because it was essentially a horizontal A3 piece of paper folded in half to make it look like a booklet. I had to ask for more paper during the exam and ended up writing five pages. Even though I expected myself to ask for more writing paper, I never expected myself to write a lot because the points I made were usually points I'd bring up in a short answer, but I somehow managed to flesh out these points into a paragraph each. I don't know, maybe I was rambling and repeated myself.

So yeah, the exam was only 1 hour 30 minutes so it wasn't too bad. I'm more worried about tomorrow because I have an exam clash: physics and society & culture. Yes, this is my second day where I have two exams. Yay. I'm a lot more worried about physics only because I fail in physics lmao. Also, my teacher likes to roast me for not being able to get full marks in my responses so that's fun ;-; As for society & culture, I really need to finish this practice essay I've been working on for like 2 weeks whoops. At least hand in something to mark and spend the rest of the night studying physics because I have no clue what I'm doing in physics. Like, I didn't know how galvanometers worked until a few weeks ago- I remember Jake telling the story in the physics lecture on the importance of diagrams and I copied the diagram and somehow managed to figure out how a galvanometer worked (kinda like with Jake last-minute learning what a galvanometer was right before Trials lmao). Funnily enough, I told my friend I figured out how a galvanometer works and she now knows how it works lol

I feel like with math and physics, it really takes me a long time to figure out how things work. Like, I didn't know how all that locus stuff worked until before half yearlies (so about 5-6 months after we learnt it). As for parametrics, that's a lost cause lol. I knew how to derive one of the formulae, and the rest I had no clue what the formula meant or how to apply it so thank god I don't do 3U math anymore.

I should go back to finishing my essay.

See you soon!

- Olivia

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2018, 11:29:11 pm »
+6
Hey guys,
I'm really exhausted, both physically and mentally (to be honest, it's taken me like 1 hour to actually start writing this). I thought 2U/Modern in one day was tiring but physics/Society & Culture was even more tiring. It's probably because I spent last night cramming as much as I could with physics, and I didn't even get to cram quanta to quarks. The thing is, it takes me so long to understand something. I didn't understand what the photoelectric effect was until last night- and we covered that months ago. Like, I know that in class you're supposed to ask questions if you're unsure but how can you ask questions when you don't even know what you're unsure about? It takes me so long to absorb content it's kinda annoying. Oh yeah, I also don't trust my notes so I end up leaching off other people's notes, which makes me feel guilty because it takes so long for people (or at least me) to make notes- and I know, it defeats the whole purpose of having a Notes section here but I usually don't like using other people's notes.

I didn't sleep until 1am (more like I turned off the lights at 12 but I couldn't fall asleep until about 1), so I've only had about 5 hours of sleep. Possibly 4 1/2 hours. Who knows. I tried cramming for quanta to quarks at Breakfast Club but it was pointless. I remember bits and pieces (like the basics of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, a bit on controlled/uncontrolled reactions, a bit on Bohr's postulates and limitations of his model, and a bit on Rutherford) but when one of my friends (who's not doing physics) tried to test my friend and I (since she was also struggling with quanta to quarks) both of us literally just sat there and shrugged. I was probably able to stumble on a few words and manage to say a few key words that led to an answer but apart from that I was screwed.

So yeah, I was waiting around in the basketball court trying to cram as much as I could, which also somehow included me talking to other people in my class. Usually I talk to the girls in my class (which is literally 4 girls including myself) but I guess everyone was so caught up in trying to cram when someone asks 'Hey does anyone know about...' another person goes like 'Yeah man it's...'- quite strange, considering how a lot of the people in my class are ridiculously competitive (I'll probably end up ranting about this one pretentious guy that pisses off my friends and myself but that's for another day).

As for the paper, I feel like if I actually knew my stuff it wouldn't be so bad. Literally, there wasn't a lot of math-based questions. As for the short answers, I had the idea of what I wanted to say but I'm not sure if it's enough to suit the amount of marks allocated. Nor do I even know if I answered the question. The worst part was quanta to quarks because there were some questions where I knew where it was on the syllabus dot point but I had no clue how to answer it. And then there were questions where I didn't even know what to say so I rambled on about something (I hope) that's relevant to the question. Also, the fact that I didn't write much for the 6 mark question (didn't even take up a whole page) has been one of the most blasphemous things I've ever committed. To be honest, these Trials have been a nightmare because I'm not writing as much as I should (or as much as I usually do). Considering how I kinda gave up with quanta to quarks, I kinda went back through the whole paper and spent the remaining hour re-typing numbers into the calculator. Yes, I had an hour to spare. Meanwhile, one of the guys in front of me asked for an extra booklet twice so rip for me :/

I told myself after the exam that I don't have time to break down over physics but of course, I broke down. Like, with math, I didn't break down because I was too busy trying to deal with Modern (and I always break down after math) and it wasn't until when I got home and everything just sunk when I started to cry. Physics was a different story. After the exam (we were the only group left) I broke down to my friend. She told me she already broke down before the exam and our physics teacher told her not to break down. He's not really good at sympathising with students to be honest. Like, the number of times he's told me that all this crying is good so I could get it out and he doesn't have to deal with me...

So I'm walking back to the office after crying so I can get my food (CSSA has some weird regulations where you have to hand in your bag and be isolated from everyone else if you have an exam clash). I spent lunch trying to cram any statistic I could remember for SAC whilst eating. To be honest, none of those statistics were memorised. I'm not even sure if those statistics were even relevant to the questions. Even then, some of the questions in the SAC Trial paper was really weird, especially the Belief Systems question. Again, I didn't write as much as I usually do. I only wrote 5 pages, significantly less than my usual 6> pages. Probably because I had no idea what to say for each essay question. Well, for the Social Inclusion question, I had a better idea on what to say but Belief Systems rip ;-;

Anyway, I had tutoring after school and I just sobbed to my physics tutor (and to be honest, my physics tutor is like my second mum). We went a bit easy with physics and just did some light work- her asking me to verbally explain a diagram, do a basic HSC question, more verbally explaining concepts. English tutoring was also light considering how english was done what seems to be like ages ago and I had to prepare for History Extension. Now that I think of it, it's kinda depressing how I spent a good 30 minutes crying over physics and then I jump into trying to understand postmodernism.

I'm hoping to submit a full paper to my history teacher before the end of the week so I can get it marked but History Extension takes so long to write. It took me a few days to fully develop my introduction (and it's probably a crap one).

Anyways, see you soon!

- Olivia

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #185 on: August 20, 2018, 09:19:01 pm »
+4
Hey guys,
So today was my last day of Trial exams, which was History Extension. To be honest, I'm not sure if it was a good idea as to having five days between my exams because I procrastinated for four days straight lmao. Like, I finished the 2017 paper (and stayed up until 1am to finish it so my teacher can mark it) and then procrastinated. I told myself that I deserve a break after staying up until 1am but then that reasoning kinda died. I also had tutoring on Thursday for History Extension so I guess it's kinda productive but then I spent the rest of the day with my mum trying to look for a formal dress.

Can I just say how difficult it is to find a formal dress? I haven't invested too much time in surfing online but from the 1-2 hours I've spent in looking for a dress, it's so hard to find a dress that's suitable to me. A lot of the dresses I've seen (based on Facebook ads and the dresses the girls in my year group have bought), they're either tight-fitting, have slits or are floor-length. For someone who's short and recently gained weight from stress-eating, those kind of styles don't fit me. Also, since spring is coming, a lot of stores are into flowers and lace- the two things I hate the most lmao. Personally, I find those flower dresses looking like the curtains in my old house, and lace- I associate that to what my grandma would wear. I actually prefer something simple, maybe like a skater dress or something. But nope, for some reason a lot of stores don't sell 'simple' designs. Idk, I don't know fashion well enough to be able to track down the different styles and trends that come and go :/

Anyway, back to my Trials preparation. I didn't write a practice essay after completing the 2017 paper. I kinda looked at the past papers and started writing thesis statements and then got distracted. So I ended up adding more quotes in my quotes sheet (the same quotes sheet I used for half yearlies) and compiled some quotes for my case study. Let me just say, I struggle a lot with Question 2. Like, no matter who I ask, everyone says to prepare for Question 2 like Question 1 but I still find it difficult to write an essay. I have no clue how to structure it or even know how to write an essay. I tried using the source to frame my essay but Question 2 sources are really short. The source I got today was a bit weird but I managed to kinda write two long body paragraphs. I somehow managed to write 7 pages but it's probably 7 pages of bs lmao

As for Question 1, again, I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say about the question but we got a replacement question, which was weird because I thought we have covered everything (apart from postmodernism). The thing is, when I read the source, the points I drew out of the source were the same points I drew from the 2017 source and my half yearly source. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing because I know that you can't regurgitate an essay for History Extension but there were points in the source that I was somehow able to relate to the points I've used. Idk, I wrote 9 pages for Question 1 but I'm scared my teacher would read my essay and assume I regurgitated my essay (and she also has a copy of my practice essay).

So yeah, Trials are finally done and I'm so tired. I also have school and tutoring tomorrow but I'm too lazy to go. I'm pretty sure half of my year group is gonna skip out tomorrow because of Trials (even though not a lot of people had exams today -_-).

Anyway, I'm gonna sleep early tonight so see you soon!

- Olivia

darcyynic

• MOTM: NOV 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #186 on: August 20, 2018, 09:41:29 pm »
Hey guys,
So today was my last day of Trial exams, which was History Extension. To be honest, I'm not sure if it was a good idea as to having five days between my exams because I procrastinated for four days straight lmao. Like, I finished the 2017 paper (and stayed up until 1am to finish it so my teacher can mark it) and then procrastinated. I told myself that I deserve a break after staying up until 1am but then that reasoning kinda died. I also had tutoring on Thursday for History Extension so I guess it's kinda productive but then I spent the rest of the day with my mum trying to look for a formal dress.

Can I just say how difficult it is to find a formal dress? I haven't invested too much time in surfing online but from the 1-2 hours I've spent in looking for a dress, it's so hard to find a dress that's suitable to me. A lot of the dresses I've seen (based on Facebook ads and the dresses the girls in my year group have bought), they're either tight-fitting, have slits or are floor-length. For someone who's short and recently gained weight from stress-eating, those kind of styles don't fit me. Also, since spring is coming, a lot of stores are into flowers and lace- the two things I hate the most lmao. Personally, I find those flower dresses looking like the curtains in my old house, and lace- I associate that to what my grandma would wear. I actually prefer something simple, maybe like a skater dress or something. But nope, for some reason a lot of stores don't sell 'simple' designs. Idk, I don't know fashion well enough to be able to track down the different styles and trends that come and go :/

Anyway, back to my Trials preparation. I didn't write a practice essay after completing the 2017 paper. I kinda looked at the past papers and started writing thesis statements and then got distracted. So I ended up adding more quotes in my quotes sheet (the same quotes sheet I used for half yearlies) and compiled some quotes for my case study. Let me just say, I struggle a lot with Question 2. Like, no matter who I ask, everyone says to prepare for Question 2 like Question 1 but I still find it difficult to write an essay. I have no clue how to structure it or even know how to write an essay. I tried using the source to frame my essay but Question 2 sources are really short. The source I got today was a bit weird but I managed to kinda write two long body paragraphs. I somehow managed to write 7 pages but it's probably 7 pages of bs lmao

As for Question 1, again, I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say about the question but we got a replacement question, which was weird because I thought we have covered everything (apart from postmodernism). The thing is, when I read the source, the points I drew out of the source were the same points I drew from the 2017 source and my half yearly source. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing because I know that you can't regurgitate an essay for History Extension but there were points in the source that I was somehow able to relate to the points I've used. Idk, I wrote 9 pages for Question 1 but I'm scared my teacher would read my essay and assume I regurgitated my essay (and she also has a copy of my practice essay).

So yeah, Trials are finally done and I'm so tired. I also have school and tutoring tomorrow but I'm too lazy to go. I'm pretty sure half of my year group is gonna skip out tomorrow because of Trials (even though not a lot of people had exams today -_-).

Anyway, I'm gonna sleep early tonight so see you soon!

- Olivia

Congratulations on finishing trials!! You must feel so so relieved (and you should definitely feel so proud!)

The history ext exam was definitely my hardest trials exam, but I am sure you absolutely smashed it. After all, you've put so much hard work into it! What's your plan now post-trials? Do you have any texts you want to read for HEXT?

Also, in terms of formal dresses, you could check out websites such as Bariano or The Iconic! They have some good stuff. Sending you lots of luck in finding one! xox
HSC Class of 2018: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Modern History, Ancient History, History Extension, and German Continuers.

2019: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Politics and International Relations) (Dalyell Scholars) at USYD.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #187 on: August 20, 2018, 10:04:47 pm »
Congratulations on finishing trials!! You must feel so so relieved (and you should definitely feel so proud!)

The history ext exam was definitely my hardest trials exam, but I am sure you absolutely smashed it. After all, you've put so much hard work into it! What's your plan now post-trials? Do you have any texts you want to read for HEXT?
Well firstly I need to clean my room lmao. During Trials, I would pull out random worksheets and class notes from previous terms and leave them on my desk and then I'd eventually dump it on the floor, so I need to put the worksheets back in order. As for the remaining loose leaf sheets of paper on the floor, well... those will live there probably until the end of HSC lol.

After giving myself a break, I'd probably go back and do some past papers. More practice essays, especially for Question 2 (Trials was the first time I was assessed in my case study). I'd probably do more readings for my case study and dig around for more perspectives (the difficult thing about doing Churchill is that I can't leach off notes because it's one of the uncommon topics unlike, say, JFK or Elizabeth).

But yeah, I do feel relieved but I'm not ready to go to school. I haven't gone through all five stages of grief lol

Also, in terms of formal dresses, you could check out websites such as Bariano or The Iconic! They have some good stuff. Sending you lots of luck in finding one! xox
I'll check those out! I'm still tossing up whether I should get someone to make my dress or buy it from a store. The problem with buying online is that I'm not sure what material it is, the shipping price and I want to try the dress before purchasing it :/

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #188 on: August 20, 2018, 11:02:05 pm »
Yay! Congrats on finishing trials!

Finding a formal dress is hard -- I can definitely relate, especially because I went to two and left dress shopping until a week before each oooooops. I got both my dresses from Forever New, and they were relatively affordable - $130ish so that might be somewhere to look into! I know Myer has a bit of a formal section but you've got to be willing to go in-store and look. I can shout you a staff discount hahahaha. When's your formal?

Hope you have a good break from studying, and best of luck finding a dress!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2018, 08:06:33 am »
Yay! Congrats on finishing trials!

Finding a formal dress is hard -- I can definitely relate, especially because I went to two and left dress shopping until a week before each oooooops. I got both my dresses from Forever New, and they were relatively affordable - $130ish so that might be somewhere to look into! I know Myer has a bit of a formal section but you've got to be willing to go in-store and look. I can shout you a staff discount hahahaha. When's your formal?

Hope you have a good break from studying, and best of luck finding a dress!
Omg seriously dude shout me a staff discount! Lmao the last time I went to Myers to check out a dress, most of them were either expensive or they were more like floor-length dresses (and I'm short so I don't think floor-length dresses suit me rip ;-;)

I've been to Forever New multiple times (both online and in-store) and I'm not liking their styles at the moment. They're into flowers and lace at the moment and I don't like those styles lol. As for the other dresses, most of them are maxi dresses. Even their high-low are too long for me (like the back of the dress drags on the floor),

But yeah, my formal's next month (tbh I don't know if I've booked my makeup/hair appointment whoops).

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2018, 09:11:58 am »
Omg seriously dude shout me a staff discount! Lmao the last time I went to Myers to check out a dress, most of them were either expensive or they were more like floor-length dresses (and I'm short so I don't think floor-length dresses suit me rip ;-;)

I've been to Forever New multiple times (both online and in-store) and I'm not liking their styles at the moment. They're into flowers and lace at the moment and I don't like those styles lol. As for the other dresses, most of them are maxi dresses. Even their high-low are too long for me (like the back of the dress drags on the floor),

But yeah, my formal's next month (tbh I don't know if I've booked my makeup/hair appointment whoops).

Hey just because you think it won’t suit you, doesn’t mean it won’t. :-) I’m not a fan of all flowers and stuff but you never know until you try it! My friend, who’s quite short, had a high-low dress and she looked amazing!

Do any of your friends know how to do hair and makeup? That cuts out a good ~$200! If not you can just go local. :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2018, 09:47:48 pm »
Do any of your friends know how to do hair and makeup? That cuts out a good ~$200! If not you can just go local. :-)
Haha not really. Most of my friends are too broke to even buy makeup! Personally, I know how to play with makeup but not use it (and by makeup, it's more like mascara- still struggle putting it on sometimes- and lip products).

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #192 on: August 25, 2018, 10:07:23 pm »
+6
Hey guys,
First week of school and I'm already exhausted. I come back to school on Tuesday and I was grumpy as hell. I was really tired and it was made even worse when the teachers are like 'We know you're burnt out but you gotta keep pushing on.' What happened to mental health?? So that ruined my mood for the rest of the day. Luckily, Tuesdays are sports days so I had 3 periods and study during sport (and by study, it was more like my friend and I online shopping for dresses and together a group haul for Korean cosmetics). I mean, I'm really burnt out and I've gotten used to having holidays after exam blocks.

Anyway, I was grumpy for the whole week because we were getting Trial papers back already -_- I wasn't ready for that, considering my last exam was on Monday. Math made me kinda salty because I made a lot of silly mistakes. I passed, but there were too many silly mistakes that it made me more salty than depressed. Of course, there were some questions where it had simple working out but I couldn't figure it out during the exam. And then there were other questions where I couldn't even get one mark for a 3 mark question because of the marking criteria.

As for physics, the quanta section wasn't as bad as I thought. Because I at least put something down I was able to get some marks but it wasn't the best. I am glad that I recounted my multiple choice marks and found out my teacher miscounted so I was able to get one more mark. I'm hoping to scab another mark from the quanta section because when we went through the marking criteria for the question on the different parts of a nuclear power station, I named all the parts (fuel source, moderator, cadmium rods, radiation shield) my I got deducted 1 mark- I don't even know where I lost marks because I said uranium fuel source but my teacher said I needed to say Uranium-235 but he said he'll think about it. As for my overall mark, not the best but my rank isn't too bad. For someone who was last-minute cramming content, coming fourth out of fourteen people wasn't as bad as I thought (considering how I was sixth for a good portion of the year group).

I got Society & Culture back as well. I feel like my teacher was marking us a bit easy because Term 2 was a bit disjointed and we were preoccupied with the PIP. I did better in both Depth Studies than my multiple choice and short answers. And boyyy am I kicking myself with these silly mistakes. I lost marks in areas where I could've gotten full marks. But I really struggled with two short answer questions and I literally bs-ed my answer because I had no clue what to write (still got some marks for it though). I really wanna blame the fact I had 2 exams in one day for this but that's just me being salty. My rank isn't too bad- fourth out of twenty something people so it's not as bad as I thought. I'm just salty that I lost easy marks.

English is a bit unstable. I knew I was gonna fail Mod B. Not as bad as I thought but it's not as high as the marks I usually get in English. My short answers and discovery essay were also not as bad as I thought. I'm salty with short answers because the mark I got was the same mark I got for my practice responses, so it's not like I improved or anything. My discovery essay mark was the same as my half yearly mark so it's not like I have anything to say there. Mod C was surprising because I failed my Mod C task last term but I managed to do well. Considering that I couldn't remember the quotes correctly and remembered a good portion of the quotes, my teacher didn't call me out (not sure if he noticed or not), making Mod C my best essay. I haven't gotten Mod A and creative back and I'm a bit concerned because the teacher gave us general feedback for Mod A and the fact that she's used caps and red font is already concerning. I haven't got creative back but my teacher said a lot of us just regurgitated our creative. Since we finished all our modules, we've kinda been doing Trials reflections and my teacher even set a whole lesson showing us how our internal marks are moderated in comparison to our exam mark and HSC mark so that was interesting.

I still haven't got SOR or any of my history subjects back. Modern is a bit concerning because my teacher told us a lot of the source analysis was done poorly and she gave a lot of 6/10 (and that was her and teachers from other schools being optimistic). She also said a lot of the Germany essays were weak because some people completely agreed with the question even though their arguments were weak and no one argued against the question. She said a lot of people got mixed up between the November Criminals, stab in the back legend and the Treaty of Versailles, and also got annoyed that people didn't write a lot. I mean, I did question b so I'm not sure if she's got problems with responses that did the other question. As for Personality essays, she said our Part A essays were the 'most ludicrous essays she's ever read' (that's a legit quote, I'm not paraphrasing). She said a lot of people didn't address the question. She also said Part B was also done a bit poorly because a lot of people agreed with the question even though there was room to disagree. To be honest, it's a bit difficult to do Leni Riefenstahl because she's a film director, not a politician so it's not like Leni would significantly change the course of history. She hasn't marked Conflict in Europe (and I'm not expecting her to finish over the weekend considering she was going away for the weekend). So yeah, modern is concerning.

With all these Trial papers being given back, I've been doing my scholarship applications. I'm not sure if I'm taking the phrase 'apply for as many scholarships as you can' too literally because I've applied for a bunch of scholarships and the uni isn't even in my Top 5 preferences. At the moment, I've applied for: ANU Tuckwell (unsuccessful), UTS Women in Engineering (still waiting for a response), Macquarie Uni Faculty of Science and Engineering scholarship, UOW Early Entry and WSU True Rewards. I'm currently applying for Macquarie Uni Global Leadership Program, Macquarie Uni Alumni Scholarship, WSU Leadership Program, UNSW Women in Engineering, UNSW Co-op and USyd Equity Scholarship (i.e. Women in Engineering). I need to keep track of these dates since most of them are due in September. I should also scan my application for the Macquarie Uni GLEP since applications close on Monday. I also need to gather all my certificates and scan them for SRS application. At this point, my career adviser has called me a veteran for scholarships lmao. I think I've reached the point where I can copy, paste and edit my previous responses because the questions they ask are similar. I mean, UNSW Co-Op is probably one I actually had to do more writing because they have the most unique set of questions and a larger word limit (I'm bs-ing my response because of the 1000 character limit. I'm not sure how I'm gonna survive the 1250 character limit).

Also, I finally got my formal dress! My mum took me to Parramatta after tutoring today and she was like to me on the train 'If we can't find a dress here then I have no clue what to do.' We actually went to Myers and found a dress in the sale section that was decent enough for me to wear. It's kinda like a high neckline dress with spaghetti straps. The skirt is also kinda high- low, i.e. there's no dramatic difference between the skirt at the front and back but there's a bit of difference in length. And it also has pockets!!! POCKETS!!! I've never encountered a dress with pockets, and this is great because I don't have to buy a clutch. I will never understand why pockets are never an option in women's fashion because holding my phone is really annoying and I use backpacks not handbags (handbags are actually bad for your shoulders because the pressure is only applied to one shoulder whereas backpacks put an equal amount of weight on both shoulders). Anyway, it's a navy dress (my friend forbade me from wearing black because I wore black to my Year 10 formal lol), and I'll probably be wearing my shoes from my Year 10 formal as well. The sad thing is that they didn't have it my size, but thank god Myers has this thing where you can order your size (since my size was available in Myers Sydney CBD) and pay today and they will send the dress to you via Australia post. My dress should be here by Thursday.

As for my friend, well I'm not sure if she's in much luck. The problem with both of us is that we're both under the petite section and as Asians, we have a different body type/frame to the models that wear the dresses. We're both flat front and back (if you know what I mean lol), we're short and we don't like anything tight-fitting, low-cut or even strapless. Except, my friend is a lot more petite than me. I consider myself a "fatter" petite- you know, got a bit of flab but short. But she's tiny, both height and weight. So dresses don't fit her well and a lot of stores aren't petite-friendly (well the dresses she likes aren't petite friendly).

Anyway, with all this formal stuff aside, I should get back to... binge-watching Youtube videos. I was wondering, is anyone going to UNSW Open Day next Saturday?

Well, see you soon!

- Olivia

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #193 on: September 01, 2018, 09:23:31 pm »
+6
Hey guys,
I forgot how exhausting Open Days are. I went to the UNSW Open Day and was lost for like 10 minutes lol. I should've asked a UNSW student but I was too lazy to ask lmao. Usually, buses stop at Anzac Parade but since they dropped us off near the Medicine Building, I was so thrown off I just wandered around the campus until I found the University Mall. By the time I found the University Mall, it was already too late to go to the Co-op lecture. I did go to the Scholarships Lecture but it wasn't like I missed out on anything important. Most of the time, I was just wandering around, looking at a couple of displays and picked up a couple of pamphlets. I was also wearing a black leather jacket so I was sweating throughout the day lmao. Apart from going to three or four lectures, I kinda just wandered around and managed to reach my step count goal! I also got to see superconductors and pet a water python so that was cool. Something interesting that happened today was someone tapped me on the shoulder as I was walking and asked me if I did the Year 10 UNSW work experience. It was kinda awkward because he looked kinda familiar but at the same time I didn't know him so we kinda was like 'Yeah nice seeing you, bye.'

Apart from Open Day, I'm slowly getting my Trial marks back. My rank in 2U math wasn't as bad as I thought. I barely missed being part of the top 10 but it's better than nothing. As for English, my Mod A wasn't as bad as I thought. I was a lot more shocked at my creative mark. So here's the back story: in my tutoring place, the owner established a writing class. My mum and I were a bit annoyed how she just threw in creative class in the fees without asking us but I gave it a shot in Term 1 and left the writing class. In Term 2, she was talking to my physics tutor about something and managed to somehow get into the topic of creative writing. Then she was full on like to my friend and I (since we both left writing class): 'I'm worried for both of you. Maybe I should get you to write a creative and give it to my friend who is an English teacher.' My physics tutor was understanding because I told them I had already written a creative (which was true). During this time, I was stressed doing 13 units and that pushed me over the edge and I broke down in the middle of physics tutoring (keep in mind I do one-on-one tutoring for physics). I was stressed because I already have a lot of things on my plate and asking me to write a creative was too much. Anyways, the tutoring owner would sometimes say to me "I'm expecting a 13/15 in creative for Trials." Sure, it's not like that's not gonna make me stressed or anything. I think she's lowkey salty that I'm not doing writing class. The thing I didn't like about writing class was that we had to read out our creatives. Personally, I don't like reading out any of my work- essays, creative, anything. And you would do this in front of other students (there are about 6-7 Year 10-12 students, and one guys is obnoxious af). Anyway, when I got my creative back, I was shocked but also felt a sense of self-gratification because I got a 14/15, and the teacher's feedback was essentially to keep refining my word choice (and there was a small section they commented on). So yes, if the tutoring owner ever asks me for my creative marks I can actually prove her wrong, because she doubted me and I hated that because her saltiness kinda made me think she thought I couldn't do well in something without tutoring- if that made sense.

Anyway, I got some of my Modern back. I got 22/25 for WW1 but I don't know what I got for Germany and Conflict in Europe. I knew I wasn't gonna do well in Conflict in Europe because I told myself not to do appeasement if I get a question on it because I haven't completely made up my mind on how I feel on appeasement but then it was either appeasement or dictatorial powers and I had no clue what to say with dictatorial powers. Anyway, I ended up contradicting myself and my first argument was quite weak. As for Germany, I feel like that was stronger than Conflict in Europe. Since the question was on control of media, terror and repression, I used those three as my essay structure. I feel like I could've added more detail but I managed to include as much as I can within the limit. I haven't got Personality back but my teacher said they were really bad so rip :/

I also got my History Extension Major Work. We were expecting to get our Majors back during Trials but then my teacher decided to give it to us after Trials. In fact, two weeks after Trials. I ended up getting 24/25 for my essay. I'm not sure what my rank was but my teacher said I'm invited to the HSIE Afternoon Tea so I'm assuming I came first, but yet again, I shouldn't assume anything. I'm not sure where I lost a mark but I'm assuming it's a mix of long sentences and small grammatical errors. I may ask my teacher if my essay will be sent to the HTA Extension History Prize but I'm not sure if she would since last year was the first time she's ever sent anything to the HTA Prize, so that clearly shows how highly she thought of those two essays she sent. Even though I did well in my Major Work, I kinda feel self-conscious with my topic. Like, all the topics for the Major Work is on complex ideas that I don't even understand and then there's me with history based video games :/

Anyways, I should get back to finishing my homework.

See you soon!

- Olivia

darcyynic

• MOTM: NOV 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #194 on: September 04, 2018, 09:26:31 pm »
+1
Girl you should be so proud of yourself!!! Your HEXT mark is incredible! You have put so much hard work in and should be very proud of your achievements. Sending you lots of love! xox
HSC Class of 2018: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Modern History, Ancient History, History Extension, and German Continuers.

2019: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Politics and International Relations) (Dalyell Scholars) at USYD.