Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 03:23:14 am

Author Topic: Which areas of Maths Methods are the hardest?  (Read 1036 times)  Share 

SmellsLikeTeenSpirit

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Which areas of Maths Methods are the hardest?
« on: August 27, 2019, 11:30:54 pm »
Really, which areas are the hardest? Based on the VCE Maths Methods exams between 2006 and 2018, a top list is attached. Please note: the areas in the list do not exactly match those in your textbooks. The main reason is: some areas like Basic Geometry, or Equations, or Evaluations, are not explicitly listed as topics in Maths Methods textbooks, but pop up often in VCE exams!
And there are other insightful analyses at https://tmvscientific.com !
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 11:33:46 pm by SmellsLikeTeenSpirit »

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
Re: Which areas of Maths Methods are the hardest?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 11:37:02 pm »
Really, which areas are the hardest? Based on the VCE Maths Methods exams between 2006 and 2018, a top list is attached. Please note: the areas in the list do not exactly match those in your textbooks. The main reason is: some areas like Basic Geometry, or Equations, or Evaluations, are not explicitly listed as topics in Maths Methods textbooks, but pop up often in VCE exams!
Tbh with you, I also find integration more difficult than differentiation. I mean, units 1 and 2 of calculus for both components is quite similar in difficulty, but when looking at more advanced aspects, such as improper integrals and contrasting that to Units 3/4 of differentiation (like product, quotient and chain  rule), differentiation (in my perspective) is waaay more easier. I do find functions quite hard as well (mainly piece-wise defined), but for me units 3/4 of integration is gonna be the winner here  :). So yh, most of what I think is hard correlates to the data you've just found  :).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 11:39:12 pm by ^^^111^^^ »

SmellsLikeTeenSpirit

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 02:35:41 pm »
+1
Hi ^^^11^^^,

I agree with you. There are various topics involving differentiation (chain rule, differentiation of products of functions, or their quotients etc), but more than 50 % of students solved the problems involving these topics. The only exception is a group of tough differentiation problems (I classify them as Miscellaneous) that involve absolute values of functions, or discontinuous functions, or finding the maximum of a gradient etc. Those problems do not pop up often of late for some reason, and the examples of them are:
* 2007, Q 3a in Test 1 and Q 3c in Test 2B
* 2009, Q 10a in Test 1, Q 5 in multiple-choices test and Q 1e ii in Test 2B
* 2011, Q 7 and 9 in multiple-choices test
* 2015, Q 2b in Test 2B

As for integration, it also covers quite a few topics. Students generally do well with the approximation of area under curve, or identifying a function if its derivative and a point are given. What seems to cause a lot of grief are topics like:
* If x*f'(x) is given, calculate the integral of x*f(x)
* Calculation of area under a curve, or between two curves
* If function contains a coefficient of unknown value, and and the area under the function is given, calculate the value of the coefficient
* Some really quirky problems like
- 2008: Q 19 in multiple choices test, Q 2d in Test 2B
- 2010: Q 22 in multiple choices test
- 2013: Q14 in in multiple choices test

Cheers

SmellsLikeTeenSpirit

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 03:06:34 pm »
+1
And just to add a couple of additional observations:
* For some reason, less than 40 % of students solve the basic geometry problems involving triangle, rectangle and trapezium. They are really not hard, and I guess the reason for the low success rate is that students get focused on the topics taught in Years 11 and 12, while some stuff from Years 7-10 often pops up at the exams.
* While functions are generally the easiest area, they contain both the easiest topic (finding a period of a function), and the hardest one (inequalities). Only 12 % of students solve the inequalities, and they seem to be fairly regular fare of late. The examples are:
- 2016: Q 4d, 4e (iii) and 4i (ii) in Test 2B
- 2017: Q 4i (ii) in Test 2B
- 2018: Q18 in in multiple choices test
* The next two hardest topics are (a) finding whether two events are dependent or independent, and (b) determining the conditions under which an equation would have a single solution. Only about 30 % of students solve them.
* It should be noted that all three hardest topics were encountered in 2018!!

Cheers

SmellsLikeTeenSpirit

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 11:31:30 pm »
There are many more features and useful insights in the app. See the demo at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fPQ1_A25WQ, or check out what's included at https://tmvscientific.com/pages/vce-maths-methods-tutor-feat.
 :) ;)