Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:16:55 pm

Author Topic: Low Percentile:  (Read 1567 times)  Share 

lazaward

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +33
Low Percentile:
« on: February 13, 2018, 07:04:46 pm »
Hi everyone,

So I decided to rip the bandaid off and do a practice exam off of med entry despite reading no guides or doing any prior practice. I got a really low percentile and I’m really very upset about it. I know it’s my first practice exam but I wasn’t expecting to get this low. I did finish an hour earlier so I was doing the questions in a rush (I have a bio sac in 2 days) and skipped 80% of section 1 questions which I found super difficult. I got an okay score for section 2 (79th percentile), but really really low for section 1 & 3 🏼🏼🏼

I know the UMAT is based on “natural” talent, so that’s probably why I’m super upset. I feel like I won’t be able to improve in time and there’s only 5 months left.

Does anyone have any advice? Am I overreacting?

TheAspiringDoc

Re: Low Percentile:
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 07:09:12 pm »
+3
I've heard scores can vary a lot between days. Just give it your best shot and nothing is set in cement. Either way, you can definitely change your ATAR, so keep chipping away at that bio SAC  :D

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 07:10:35 pm »
+5
Medentry percentiels are dynamic so something that may seem low now may change to an ok score once more people do it - and remember the students who have already done prac exams are the super keen ones which isn't too reflective of the medentry population (let alone the total population)

Obviously skipping 80% of the section won't yield you your potential nor will finishing an hour early (most finish quite late - if not having to guess a few at the end) so maybe have another go when you have some free time for a better "evaluation".

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 07:21:45 pm »
+6
Hey,

The UMAT is an extremely tough exam and it’s perfectly ok to feel disheartened at times. I think when you are feeling this way, it’s good to focus on the positives. 79th percentile in section 2 is a great score, and bodes very well for your UMAT performance in the future as section 2 is undoubtedly the section most reliant on intrinsic ability and the medentry cohort is a lot more competitive than the actual UMAT cohort.

Since you rushed the exam and did it before reading any guides, your overall score is definitely not representative of your actual ability in the UMAT and you should not worry at all about your percentile. I think the fact you did an exam straight off the bat will work in your favour, as while many people will be beginning revision in an aimless fashion, you can get straight into targeting your weaknesses and making sure that you are in the best possible form for the actual exam. Five months is plenty of time to formulate and execute an efficient effective study regime for the UMAT, so really don’t stress about the time. I guarantee you that you are ahead of most people in terms of revision.

Good luck! (Hope the bio SAC goes well)
UAdel MBBS

lazaward

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 08:59:13 pm »
+3
Thanks everyone, I feel a lot better now

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
  • Do not touch the great one
  • Respect: -14
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 09:31:55 pm »
Gumtree has some pretty rad med resources if you want to take a look.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:44:01 am by The Special One »
Bachelor of Laws @ Monash (2nd year)

Feel free to PM me about anything, happy to give advice about school and/or uni.

MG226

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 02:03:43 am »
+1
There’s definitely plenty of time to improve and section 3 is the easiest to improve in. As you do more drills and practice recognising the patterns gets a lot easier. 79%ile is great in s2, especially when that’s the first exam because I think that’d be the hardest to improve in. If it helps at all when I did the medentry course and we had s practise exam, I was given a less than 40%ile for s3 (it didn’t say an exact one) in the actual exam my s3 score was ~93%ile so there’s definitely a chance to do well, similarly, s1 they said 50%ile but ended up with ~97%ile in s1 so don’t give up hope. Best of luck with UMAT and school