Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 04:33:21 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1235814 times)

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4650 on: September 30, 2020, 01:00:31 pm »
For the related texts I think you need to have prepared at least 2 but I’m not sure

Edit: this is only for internal assessments
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 04:22:44 pm by Chocolatepistachio »

Fozia

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4651 on: September 30, 2020, 01:18:30 pm »
+1
These still 20 days until your exam so it’s not too late. Try doing some practice essays and get the marked and get feedback for you to improve. Do some past papers.

Prepare some quotes, themes and ideas .Write out a study plan and do a bit for each module every day. You could make some flash cards and have like quote and technique. Use only quotes that are relevant to your themes and contain techniques. You should write out essay plans so you are more confident and prepared in answering questions in the exam.

Some people like to write a prepared response and then adapt it to suit the question in the exam. Make sure you get a good nights sleep the day before you exam

Good luck!

Thanks  ;D

Fozia

• Adventurer
« Reply #4652 on: September 30, 2020, 06:23:02 pm »
I'm studying the prescribed text Vertigo by Amanda Lohrey for the common module and I've chosen these related texts: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and Still I Rise by Maya Angelou. These books don't have a lot of common themes other then the fact that they are full of human experiences. How would
I go about relating by prescribed text to these related texts?
Also, should I use a related texts for all the Modules or just the Common Module ?

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #4653 on: October 01, 2020, 04:17:22 pm »
I think you only need the related text for the common module. I think you didn’t need to use all those books. You should probably choose a related text that has common themes with the prescribed.  If you haven’t already chosen a related and analysed it You could maybe choose a poem or something. You should do 2 paragraphs on the related and to paragraphs on the prescribed.

I looked it up and you actually don’t need to talk about related texts in the hsc exam and it is only assessed internally

mrsc

• Adventurer
« Reply #4654 on: October 01, 2020, 08:41:30 pm »
Hey, just wondering what tips would u suggest while practising for Mod C. I plan on doing creatives and my related text is Nam Lee's love and honour. But I'm not sure what type of practice would help with writing the story on the day on the spot. What sort of stuff should I pre-prepare and perfect before HSC. Any other tips would also be appreciated thanks.

Fozia

• Adventurer
« Reply #4655 on: October 02, 2020, 08:16:05 pm »
Hey, just wondering what tips would u suggest while practising for Mod C. I plan on doing creatives and my related text is Nam Lee's love and honour. But I'm not sure what type of practice would help with writing the story on the day on the spot. What sort of stuff should I pre-prepare and perfect before HSC. Any other tips would also be appreciated thanks.
Hey sorry, this isn't an answer to your question but i was wondering, is it necessary to have a related text for Mod C? I have like, four for the Common Module but none for Mod C.

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #4656 on: October 03, 2020, 05:29:36 pm »
+1
Hi Everyone, :D

If I am faced with an essay question in the HSC that is very, very obscure and I don't have enough textual support to answer the question effectively, could I play devil's advocate and disagree with the question? To support my disagreeing response, I would use my textual support that I have prepared before the exam.

Thanks in advance!
Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4657 on: October 04, 2020, 12:12:04 am »
+4

Hey, mrsc!

I think it's first important for you to come up with a topic you want to explore in your creative writing piece. Do you want to look at the impacts of language barriers on immigrants? Do you wish to present an alternative perspective on divorce through the perspective of a couple's neighbours? Ask yourself what you are most passionate about; you will always write better responses when you write from the heart  :D

You should then try to decide on at least two major stylistic features that you intend to use in the exam in light of your study in Module C with Nam Le. You might choose to use anecdote, for example, as one of them and prepare some possible anecdotes that can help you develop your character in greater depth and complexity. These stylistic features can give you tools to equip in the exam and enable you to tackle the provided stimulus with an engaging response that also engages with the craft of writing  :)

Hey sorry, this isn't an answer to your question but i was wondering, is it necessary to have a related text for Mod C? I have like, four for the Common Module but none for Mod C.

Hey, Fozia!

You do not need a related text for any of the modules. The related text is only assessed internally. All your responses in the HSC will be derived from your prescribed texts and, in the case of Section I for Paper 1, the unseen texts NESA provides you on the day. No need to waste any precious time looking for related texts that you won't be using  :)

Hi Everyone, :D

If I am faced with an essay question in the HSC that is very, very obscure and I don't have enough textual support to answer the question effectively, could I play devil's advocate and disagree with the question? To support my disagreeing response, I would use my textual support that I have prepared before the exam.

Thanks in advance!
Coolmate 8)

Hey, Coolmate!

You can definitely play Devil's Advocate so long as you establish it clearly in your thesis your stance. Try to agree to a limited extent at the very least so you can engage with what NESA has given you but you are then welcome to argue what you wish! For example, with a question like this, " The Tempest and its key ideas are only realised to their greatest potential through Hag-Seed. To what extent do you agree with this statement?", you could have an argument that says something like this; "While Hag-Seed does share and engage with the ideas that Shakespeare first raised in The Tempest, suggesting that these ideas are only fully realised through the former of the aforementioned texts would limit the appreciation of the latter and negate the purpose of the appropriation. Rather, one should consider how Atwood seeks to enlighten the contemporary reader on the ongoing importance of The Tempest which resonated with the Elizabethan audience and still continues to shape our understanding of justice, power and legacy today." I have definitely disagreed with a question before in the past and it paid off so, based on personal experience, I would recommend doing it if your prepared material is competing against the question. Be confident in your analysis and links and you should do perfectly fine!  Hope this helps  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Fozia

• Adventurer
« Reply #4658 on: October 04, 2020, 10:36:56 am »
Hey, mrsc!

I think it's first important for you to come up with a topic you want to explore in your creative writing piece. Do you want to look at the impacts of language barriers on immigrants? Do you wish to present an alternative perspective on divorce through the perspective of a couple's neighbours? Ask yourself what you are most passionate about; you will always write better responses when you write from the heart  :D

You should then try to decide on at least two major stylistic features that you intend to use in the exam in light of your study in Module C with Nam Le. You might choose to use anecdote, for example, as one of them and prepare some possible anecdotes that can help you develop your character in greater depth and complexity. These stylistic features can give you tools to equip in the exam and enable you to tackle the provided stimulus with an engaging response that also engages with the craft of writing  :)

Hey, Fozia!

You do not need a related text for any of the modules. The related text is only assessed internally. All your responses in the HSC will be derived from your prescribed texts and, in the case of Section I for Paper 1, the unseen texts NESA provides you on the day. No need to waste any precious time looking for related texts that you won't be using  :)

Hey, Coolmate!

You can definitely play Devil's Advocate so long as you establish it clearly in your thesis your stance. Try to agree to a limited extent at the very least so you can engage with what NESA has given you but you are then welcome to argue what you wish! For example, with a question like this, " The Tempest and its key ideas are only realised to their greatest potential through Hag-Seed. To what extent do you agree with this statement?", you could have an argument that says something like this; "While Hag-Seed does share and engage with the ideas that Shakespeare first raised in The Tempest, suggesting that these ideas are only fully realised through the former of the aforementioned texts would limit the appreciation of the latter and negate the purpose of the appropriation. Rather, one should consider how Atwood seeks to enlighten the contemporary reader on the ongoing importance of The Tempest which resonated with the Elizabethan audience and still continues to shape our understanding of justice, power and legacy today." I have definitely disagreed with a question before in the past and it paid off so, based on personal experience, I would recommend doing it if your prepared material is competing against the question. Be confident in your analysis and links and you should do perfectly fine!  Hope this helps  :)

Angelina  ;D
Hey thanks for the tips but i have another question.. Sorry!
With Vertigo i have prepared approx. 12 quotes relating to my chosen themes. Will that be enough?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4659 on: October 04, 2020, 02:05:45 pm »
+1
Hey thanks for the tips but i have another question.. Sorry!
With Vertigo i have prepared approx. 12 quotes relating to my chosen themes. Will that be enough?

Hey again!

Never apologise for asking questions; that's how you'll get yourself answers! I think 12 quotes will be a perfect amount if you are dividing it into 4 quotes for three themes. You might want to have a backup theme with maybe four more quotes just in case they throw a more challenging question your way but what you have there will be enough to work with!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Fozia

• Adventurer
« Reply #4660 on: October 04, 2020, 02:09:02 pm »
Hey guys,

With Mod B how much qoutes should I use? I'm studying King Henry IV Part One and the main themes I'll be using is honour, relationships of the characters and personality of the characters. Should I also explore language techniques or would just themes be okay?

Thanks

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #4661 on: October 04, 2020, 06:47:19 pm »
+1
Hey, Coolmate!

Angelina  ;D

Thankyou Angelina for the insight, this was really helpful! ;D

Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

gopy

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4662 on: October 11, 2020, 06:42:46 pm »
Hey guys,
Just wondering for Mod B whether NESA would specify what poems to talk about for T.S Elliot or whether we can just discuss whatever poems we want.

Thanks in Advance

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #4663 on: October 11, 2020, 07:15:17 pm »
Hey guys,
Just wondering for Mod B whether NESA would specify what poems to talk about for T.S Elliot or whether we can just discuss whatever poems we want.

Thanks in Advance

I know for the Common Module, NESA may specify the poem. I'm not too sure for Module B but my guess would be yes; always be prepared!
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

gopy

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4664 on: October 11, 2020, 08:01:38 pm »
I know for the Common Module, NESA may specify the poem. I'm not too sure for Module B but my guess would be yes; always be prepared!
Thanks for the response, I'm pretty sure its too late to do anymore paragraphs so I gotta work on praying :'(