Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:20:16 am

Author Topic: Physics Depth Study IDEAS? HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!  (Read 4549 times)

igga

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Physics Depth Study IDEAS? HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!
« on: June 19, 2019, 02:13:57 pm »
physics depth study urgent help. DUE TOMMOROW!!!!

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
Re: Physics Depth Study IDEAS? HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 06:05:52 pm »
+2
physics depth study urgent help. DUE TOMMOROW!!!!

Damn, alright, here's some stuff right now.

Well, since it's due tomorrow, you need to do a second-hand investigation (ie. no experiments, purely theoretical). You can either choose to do it with data obtained from the internet or just investigation a topic much more deeper than as is in the textbook.

If you are in Yr12, then the best thing to do is to go over your physics textbook and note down any sections where they give you explicit data. I know that in the Nelson Physics in Focus there is one particular experiment thingy that you do on excel on the speed of electrons or something like that, in the charged particles, conductors and electric and magnetic fields. Go through stuff like that in whatever textbook you are using, and try to change it in someway so that you are actually finding out something. Finish what the textbook requires of you first, and if you have time remaining, then go through and   extend each section. Another good depth study idea is to play around with the pHet simulation for projectile motion and figure out an idea.

Here is the structure of your report:

Aim- What you intend to achieve in the experiment
Hypothesis- What you expect will happen in the experiment
Background Research (optional)- prep the reader with the knowledge needed to understand your experiment
Methodology- How you conducted the experiment- [also list independent (what you changed), dependent (what you measured) and control (what you kept the same) variables if doing a practical experiment- could also apply to secondary though I doubt it.]
Results- all the data you obtained, organised in a logical and clear structure.
Discussion- What your results actually tell you. Also include on where you went wrong as well, and what could have improved. Also mention the validity (did you measure what you intended), accuracy (how accurate is your data/ findings] and reliability (did you repeat trials with results being consistent) .
Conclusion- Did you achieve the aim/ what you set out to do? If so, why and if not, why not? Suggest improvements.

The bolded stuff is what you need. The italicised words is what could potentially boost your mark up, but isn't quite necessary.

Now what I have described is a primary (practical) report, or experimental report. This could also apply to your secondary investigation, and it is upto you to change it and suit it to your investigation.

To sum up: Read over your physics textbook for potential experiments/ secondary investigations, choose one and make it a bit deeper so the teacher will know you are not straight up copying the textbook and being lazy. The point of a depth study is for you to extend your studies. Try and follow the general structure I have provided. I suggest that you follow what your teacher has given you. Do everything according to the marking guidelines in your assessment notification for this will enable you the most marks.

What you could also do is to go through these online simulations, choose something that you know about or have studied and then just do the simulation. Make sure before actually starting the simulation that you at least complete the aim, hypothesis, method and independent, dependent and control variables. Now that I am thinking of it, this would actually be better than rattling through the textbook. The good thing with the textbook is that some tell you the aim, method and all that, and all you will have to do is extend it.

Hopefully that was of use! Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 07:28:39 pm by r1ckworthy »
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!