Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 01:50:57 am

Author Topic: How would you rank the Big Four?  (Read 11254 times)

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
Re: How would you rank the Big Four?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 11:28:18 pm »
Can't deny that I would cry after losing a slam... I think most people would be pretty upset in that kind of a position. In interviews, in games (I'm not including the rage issues from back at the start of his career, that's pretty much, if not completely, worn off) he always seems a very nice man, and I have a lot of respect for him as a fair and gentle person.
Certainly agree with the part in bold. I think that there are quite a few players out there who could have won a lot of Slams without the other 3.
I might cry if I lost my first Slam, but there's no way I'd be crying if I had 12 already  :P I love Fed, but he's always seemed entitled to me as opposed to Novak & Nadal.
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 12:28:00 am »
I don't think anyone is actually putting Murray in and amongst Fed, Nadal, Djoker - and they shouldn't. The only reason it is called the big 4 is because the all consistently made it to the semis in major tournaments with Murray also consistently losing.                                                           

Another question for anyone who wants to lend their thoughts; at the top of their games, which player is the best? Djokovic's effortlessness tonight makes me want to put his name forward but I'd have to refresh my memory of peak Federer and Nadal because they're all that good. So hard to come to any consensus!
Overall Federer but depending on the court obviously it would be
Grass - Federer
Clay - Nadal
Hard court - Djokovic/Federer

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 02:03:54 am »
Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic are all amazing players who are doing things that, judging by the historical record, they really had no right to do. As already discussed in this thread, Murray not quite so much, but I was really glad when he got his first slam, when he became a multiple slam winner, and when he finally reached No 1.  All incredibly hard-fought achievements. And for a brief time Wawrinka turned the talk to a Big Five with three slams in three years.

Anyway, my career ranking would be:
1. Federer
2. Djokovic
3. Nadal
4. Murray
5. Wawrinka

My personal ranking would be much the same. The ones I particularly like to watch are Federer and Djokovic, but also Wawrinka when his backhand is going well.  Federer's the only one I've seen play live, though honestly you can see a lot better on TV than from one of the back rows in Rod Laver...

To me, one of the amazing things is the longevity. I remember when Federer's 2012 Wimbledon win was massive, the thing that number crunchers said was probably going to help him just keep an edge over Nadal, and a bit later when Wawrinka was rare in winning multiple slams over 30.  For example, back in 2014 Five Thirty Eight ran an article Happy Birthday Nadal! You’re Probably Too Old to Pass Federer (and that was even if Federer's count stayed at 17).  And now somehow it's become normal to win multiple slams over 30.

At the start of 2017, Djokovic seemed to have lost his edge a little, while Federer and Nadal were both on the comeback trail.  A Fed-al final was talked about as the fairy-tale finish, but it didn't seem that likely.  Not only did it come about, but it was an awesome final.  And then Federer and Nadal split the next six slams between them. Federer got to No 1 (briefly) at 36.   And now Djokovic has won the last three slams, so the relative slam count is exactly what it was at the start of 2017.  That really wasn't how it was meant to work (and yes, does raise a concern about weakness in the generation below).

So it's true that Federer won lots of his slams when he was in his prime and there were fewer contenders (though you can only play the person on the other side of the net). But the flip side is that in recent years he's been competing with the rest of the Big Four when they were in their prime and he was five years older.  And in the Slam-less years between 2013 and 2016 he was still frequently making slam semis and finals, spent a lot of the time ranked No 2, and remained competitive while his early competitors and peers retired.

So to me assessing it right now it's not just that Federer has 20 slams and has been No 1 for most weeks, but his general longevity and consistency.  The number of consecutive slam quarter-finals he made.  The fact that he won slams and was No 1 at 36. Those are really rare achievements.

I give Djokovic a slight edge over Nadal because his performance is a little more all-surface (and winning all the masters certainly helps). Even more so if he makes a double career slam at the French Open, which is a possibility (though, to be clear, Nadal has had plenty of success on grass and hard-courts, and both Federer and Djokovic have had success on clay - it is hard to separate the three).  I also think it a little more likely that Djokovic will rival Federer for longevity than that Nadal will, and if he does it's much more likely that he will shoot to No 1 in my book.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 09:52:55 am »
I agree with the above, with Murray not fitting with the other three, Djokovic, Federer and Nadal. My personal ranking would be the same also.

Career/personal ranking:
1. Federer
2. Djokovic
3. Nadal
4. Murray
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

Tatlidil

• Forum Regular
  • Math is Life
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 10:05:06 am »
In terms of how many slams then yes
Federer
Nadal
Djokovic
But each play better and/or differently on each court, and Nadal plays insanely well in hot weathers (over 30/35)

aspiringantelope

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 10:17:01 am »
Career:
1. Federer
2. Nadal
3. Djokovic

Favourites:
1. Djokovic
2. Federer
3. Nadal

I hope they are more young players that are CONSISTENT on beating top players like Naomi Osaka but on the male side  :D

Tatlidil

• Forum Regular
  • Math is Life
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 10:41:33 am »
I hope they are more young players that are CONSISTENT in beating top players like Naomi Osaka but on the male side  :D
Isn't she a top player?
Also, imagine Tsitsipas won the three tops in this Aus open! I believe he is going to be in the next gen of tops.

aspiringantelope

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 11:11:44 am »
Isn't she a top player?
Also, imagine Tsitsipas won the three tops in this Aus open! I believe he is going to be in the next gen of tops.
On the male side.
Tsitsipas beating Federer was so spectacular. But obviously it was foreseeable from Federer's age

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 11:49:39 am »
I hope they are more young players that are CONSISTENT on beating top players like Naomi Osaka but on the male side  :D
hmm tbf Osaka was ranked 4 when she entered the AO (now ranked No.1) and didn't face anyone ranked above her (no fault to her own though - can't pick who you play).

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 12:44:39 pm »
hmm tbf Osaka was ranked 4 when she entered the AO (now ranked No.1) and didn't face anyone ranked above her (no fault to her own though - can't pick who you play).

She was solid against Svitolina (won the WTA finals last year), Pliskova (former world number.1) and Kvitova (won a few grand slams). Had she played against Halep, Wozniacki and Kerber, it would probably be a close 3 set match going either way. I love Halep, but couldn't think of a better new no.1. Young, talented, consistent, humble, genuine, kind and charismatic. Not to mention that she carries the hopes of a country where racism against mixed-race, black and central asian people is rife (Osaka is Japanese/Afro-Haitian).

As for the young men, I think Khachanov is the most consistent at top level, apart from AO 2019 (lost to Bautista-Agut who was in top form in 3 close sets), lost in the last 3 grand slams to Nadal (4 tight sets), Djokovic and Zverev (was seeded 2 at French, lost in 5 tight sets). Also won the Paris masters late last year (beat Zverev, Thiem and Djokovic in convincing fashion). So many of the top young men's players have Russian roots; Khachanov, Medvedev, Rublev (has been injured for a chunk of last season though), Zverev, Shapovalov and Tsitsipas (mum was a top junior for the former Soviet Union). Maybe Popyrin may be included in that group, depending on how he progresses in the coming years.

EDIT: This may be one of the reasons rather than the only, but just read that Osaka represented Japan instead of US, as the US Tennis Association did not support her (as well as her sister's) development.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 12:58:47 pm by appleandbee »
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2019, 01:29:49 pm »

She did beat the current No 2...  :P
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman