Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 07:53:14 pm

Author Topic: 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia  (Read 14795 times)

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 04:15:26 am »
Sigh. Not altogether unexpected, But it sucks that we're not going through... :(
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 06:30:28 am »
+1
Denmark is and will be the luckiest team to be progressing past the group stage. Both Peru (the match was viewed as one of the unluckiest results of the tournament) and Australia should have beaten them, and they played boring football against France (surprising since it was in their interests to win in case Australia won against Peru).

Also I would have loved Iran to progress over Portugal (although I would prefer Morocco over those two), but the referee made the right decision. Both matches in that group were exciting, it was an unexpectedly high quality and competitive group.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 06:34:44 am by appleandbee »
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 01:30:00 am »
Lol. Check Neymar at 70 minutes...

And compare with our wonderful Ozzy Man's Review of Soccer Dives.

Those doctors 100% have healing powers.

I think that all Soccer (internationally) players should have an initiation period of playing AFL, to learn what injuries actually look like. :(
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 01:54:39 am by S200 »
Carpe Vinum

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 03:41:32 am »
Lol. Check Neymar at 70 minutes...

And compare with our wonderful Ozzy Man's Review of Soccer Dives.

Those doctors 100% have healing powers.

I think that all Soccer (internationally) players should have an initiation period of playing AFL, to learn what injuries actually look like. :(
neymar is a meme at this point

Was kinda hoping mexico would make a game out of it but another Round of 16 exit for them (happened every wc from 1994 to 2018)

Hopefully Belgium can easily get past Japan and KDB doesn't get a yellow card.

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 11:10:49 am »
Was kinda hoping mexico would make a game out of it but another Round of 16 exit for them (happened every wc from 1994 to 2018)

Hopefully Belgium can easily get past Japan and KDB doesn't get a yellow card.
Yeah. I really liked how Mexico was shaping up.

Thankfully Belgium is still in it. Belgium and Uruguay for the Semi's I recon.
And yeah, it would seriously suck if De Bruyne was sent off... :(
Carpe Vinum

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 02:39:16 pm »
So - tips? ;D

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 02:46:25 pm »
+1
So - tips? ;D
Hoping that Croatia get the win, but I think France's experience and the fact that Croatia have played an obscene amount of extra time in the knockout rounds will do favours for France.

Gonna be a great game to watch ;D

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 08:56:24 pm »
+1
So - tips? ;D

I hope Croatia will win, because I have supported them from the start (although I did predict Spain to knock them out it the quarters had they won against Russia) and know how much it means to the country given that one of my housemates is of Croatian heritage. The spirit of the team is admirable. If Luka Modric, the captain and one of the best players in the world gets to hold up the trophy, I'll probably cry given how he endured the worst horrors of the Yugoslavian war. Family members were executed in front of him, he was homeless and was a child refugee. You just can't help but love sports when it comes to how it has got people through dire circumstances. Although I'm not saying that it wouldn't have any value for France, given that almost 80% of the team is of African descent, hopefully it enables greater acceptance of immigrants.

Although yeah, Croatia has played the equivalent of one additional match (extra times in each of their knockout matches) and France has an all-round better team...

VCE Class of 2015

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 10:37:43 pm »
I hope Croatia will win, because I have supported them from the start (although I did predict Spain to knock them out it the quarters had they won against Russia) and know how much it means to the country given that one of my housemates is of Croatian heritage. The spirit of the team is admirable. If Luka Modric, the captain and one of the best players in the world gets to hold up the trophy, I'll probably cry given how he endured the worst horrors of the Yugoslavian war. Family members were executed in front of him, he was homeless and was a child refugee. You just can't help but love sports when it comes to how it has got people through dire circumstances. Although I'm not saying that it wouldn't have any value for France, given that almost 80% of the team is of African descent, hopefully it enables greater acceptance of immigrants.

Although yeah, Croatia has played the equivalent of one additional match (extra times in each of their knockout matches) and France has an all-round better team...

Did you see Maradona's comments about the immigrant players for the European countries? He recon's that they are just there to get four meals a day.... :o

But yeah, I am hoping, and trusting, that Croatia take it. I think that it was the biggest shame that France got past Belgium, and would have backed the Red Devils against England or Croatia, but I wouldn't do the same for Les Bleus.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 02:32:25 am by S200 »
Carpe Vinum

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 10:52:31 pm »
+1

I think that it was the biggest shame that France got past Belgium, and would have backed the Red Devils against England or Croatia, but I wouldn't do the same for Les Blues.

I honestly think Belgium was overall the best team in the World Cup. I was quite sad to see them go as well :/
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2018, 10:57:34 pm »
The first time I watched them, I just loved the old fuzzy-headed number 8 - Fellaini.

And then I did a little research into KDB...
I'd still say that Julian Brandt is my favorite mid-European player, but I am Loving de Bruyne's style...
Carpe Vinum

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2018, 11:12:41 pm »
I had tears when Belgium loss (Belgium and Croatia were my favourites although I tipped Spain). The window is about to close on Belgium (Euros 2020 will probably be the end of the generation, most generations only get two WC and it was the last WC that they were the exciting, young dark horses), the starting XI at this WC isn't young (almost all are 27+), their younger crop (Bashuayi, T. Hazard,Praet,Januzaj) hasn't developed as expected and is dried up of teenage talents. I also don't think Tielemans will be the next Hazard or KDB. Over the last five years, this side has excited me such that the semi-final loss was a little heartbreaking. I may be a Liverpool fan but Hazard never fails to leave me amazed at his skills and technical abilities.
VCE Class of 2015

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2018, 11:19:25 pm »
The first time I watched them, I just loved the old fuzzy-headed number 8 - Fellaini.

And then I did a little research into KDB...
I'd still say that Julian Brandt is my favorite mid-European player, but I am Loving de Bruyne's style...
KDB has been my favourite player since he signed for Manchester city (alongside Messi but he is in a whole different stratosphere). Although rather biased I think KDB is probably the best midfielder in the world right  - you could maybe make the argument for Modric.

I primarily supported Belgium and also Argentina however, despite Spain's R of 16 exit I still think they were also up there for the best team in the tournament, they might've done better if they didn't play with a striker and play a 4-6-0 with a CF to overload the midfield as no team can keep up with Spanish build up play and also to stretch the defence.

Still don't understand how some people thought a team with Henderson playing holding mid could win a world cup even if England avoided all the big teams like they tried to do (quite successfully though).

I'll probably be supporting Croatia although they are clear underdogs as I do like Rakitic and Modric.

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2018, 11:46:06 pm »
+1
I surprised by people's expectations of Argentina given their qualification run. Although I love Messi, personally I wouldn't mind Iceland or Nigeria progressing through the group stage over them and would be happy for either of those team. I don't really like the rest of the team, the coach Sampaoli is arrogant and annoying and Maradona can be a bit of a dick. The country seems lovely though.

So my predictions from over 6 months ago on this thread turned out to be correct. France are the favourites and prior to being knocked out Brazil (a bit lucky given that they played well, but I'm not complaining since I love Belgium) was probably the best/2nd best team of all the quarterfinalists. Had Lopetegui not been fired, maybe my pre-WC prediction of Spain could have materialised....
VCE Class of 2015

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2018, 11:52:44 pm »
I never thought that Argentina would get out of Group stage to be honest. I mean, Messi is amazing, but he isn't the whole team...

But then again, I had Sweden down for semis, and had South Korea as Round of 16, so who am I to guess at anything?

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 02:31:55 am by S200 »
Carpe Vinum