Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:57:59 am

Author Topic: IA2 - Student Experiment ideas  (Read 5174 times)

matthew hay

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
IA2 - Student Experiment ideas
« on: July 22, 2020, 11:22:59 am »
+1
Hi all,

Does anyone have any good (in terms of possible good analysis of data) experiment for the student experiment? I've been thinking for a while now, and can't figure any good ones. I'm looking for a modified experiment that is rich in quantitative data for analysis. Our topics and practicals were the:
     1.  Acid-base titration to calculate the concentration of a solution with reference to a standard solution (mandatory practical).
     2.  Single displacement reaction in aqueous solutions (mandatory practical).
     3.  Constructing a galvanic cell using two metal/metal-ion half cells (mandatory practical)

Open to any and all suggestions! :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: IA2 - Student Experiment ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 04:09:15 pm »
+3
If you want more quantitative data here are some ideas:

- titration also using a pH meter rather than just an indicator
- trying to construct an electrochemical series based on a series of galvanic cells where you measure cell potential for each
- measuring how the cell potential changes as you vary a factor (e.g. concentration, temperature)

I hope this helps you with ideas for having more quantitative data :) 

Make sure you don't overcomplicate things as that will make things more difficult later on - a simple experiment can still lead to great analysis.

matthew hay

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 11:27:24 am »
Thanks, @Bri MT for your response!  :)

dpate68

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 04:56:37 pm »
Hey Bri, i was wondering if your had any other modifications in mind for the Construction a galvanic cell using two metal/metal ion half cells practical...

dpate68

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 04:58:41 pm »
Regarding the modification above for the constructing a voltaic prac, what would i be discussing if i change a factor such as concentration or temperature. I was a bit confused about that.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 03:56:27 pm »
Regarding the modification above for the constructing a voltaic prac, what would i be discussing if i change a factor such as concentration or temperature. I was a bit confused about that.

Hi!

You'd want to look at how this is a variation from SLC & therefore the standard potential provided in the electrochemical series may not hold true. 

You would likely be interested in seeing if there was a trend, so you'd look at the theory and your results and then consider:
- are my results reliable? accurate? precise? valid? why do you think that? what does this mean for interpreting them?
- what might have impacted my results?
- what are the implications?
^ just like with other experiments

Let me know if you have follow up questions :)

There was also a small conversation here that you might also find relevant.