Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 10:11:08 am

Author Topic: Music Portfolio  (Read 3086 times)  Share 

sunflowah

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Music Portfolio
« on: October 28, 2019, 04:10:43 pm »
Hello  :)

Just wanted to ask, how do you create a music portfolio for composition/musicology? Would you suggest using a book/binder/digital? Also, what things must be included in the portfolio?

Thanks in advance!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Music Portfolio
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 02:12:18 pm »
+1
Hello  :)

Just wanted to ask, how do you create a music portfolio for composition/musicology? Would you suggest using a book/binder/digital? Also, what things must be included in the portfolio?

Thanks in advance!

Hey, sunflowah!

I did both my musicology and composition portfolios digitally which I found was really effective! Using a book/binder would be great for rough work (manuscripts and annotations) but I found that I did most of my drafting and planning with music software so a Google Docs portfolio was more logical. You can also record audio and embed links with a digital one so that's why I would recommend it!

As for what you should put in them, anything ranging from score annotations, drafts, brainstorming, research and primary/secondary sources that contributed to your final major work should be included. Another thing I wrote about was any music events I attended (I went to a performance of a Schubert concerto for musicology and a modern music workshop at the MCA for composition) which gave extra insight into how I developed as a musician in both disciplines over time. You could also conduct interviews with people and put feedback into the portfolios to show you addressed a variety of audiences and considered their reception when constructing it. I also would highly encourage writing reflections (what I'm doing well, what I could improve, where I am heading next) every month or so to keep track of your progress. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music