Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:53:18 pm

Author Topic: How do you study/ learn the content of sciences?  (Read 2016 times)  Share 

dux99.95

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
How do you study/ learn the content of sciences?
« on: December 30, 2016, 08:02:10 pm »
HEY everyone!!

My question is HOW do you learn the content of sciences (physics or chem mainly).
i don't mean TECHNIQUES. Noo. Techniques/ tips are like mindmaps, take breaks, flashcards etc. YEP this is all great but it occurs/ after/during the process of learning the content.

What I mean is WHAT do you USE and HOW? Do you use a textbook, learn the material and then as you're learning, teach it to any imaginary student in your notebook? (that's what I do currently). The reason I'm asking is because I'm having major problems with this. I think the technique is great but the actual problem is I find the textbooks quite hard. background info = i studied in aus till yr 8 then yr 9 & 10 overseas. I didnt have a problem with textbooks overseas because there were books by the government established to learn from. And since it wasn't a native English speaking country, the info in the textbooks was written super simple and easy to understand which helped A LOT. I've been learning from Conquering chemistry lately and I find it quite hard - lack of diagrams, highly sophisticated English (IMO) etc. This isn't a personal attack on the book or anything - it's just how I feel and wanted you to know so that you could understand the situation better and let me know what you do. It's literally taking me 40 min per 6-7 pages of the book. ALSO, I find the exercises very hard!! The actual info is understandable but the exercises are pretty in depth. What do u guys think of this?

So what do you guys recommend to do? And where should I answer questions from since the textbook exercises destroy my self confidence.
My plan for now is to focus on learning the material by videos and dot point summaries/notes from ATARnotes or online. But questions help TREMENDOUSLY.

Thanks so much :)

dux99.95

• Trailblazer
Re: How do you study/ learn the content of sciences?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 08:05:09 pm »
For people also searching of ways to study, heres one a 99.95er did: read the textbook and then organise information by typing it up in notes. Making the notes helped heaps with processing the information.

Personally I don't find typing useful but whatever works for you is important :)

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 10:05:16 pm »
+1
Hey there!

I type up notes according to syllabus and various textbooks to ensure that they contain everything I need (with diagrams which can easily be found online or even made using word). Regarding the conquering chemistry questions, I definitely find them challenging so don't worry too much about that because after you start practicing applying a formula, explaining a concept, etc. you'll find that it gets easier and easier the more examples you do. Also, flashcards are good for quick facts that don't have a lot of theory behind them. They're easy to make and keep on hand so if you ever get bored you can quickly flick through them with the reassurance that you're still learning.

Don't forget if you have any questions from the textbook that you're struggling with just send them through to the HSC Chemistry Question Thread and it'll be answered ASAP!

Hopefully this reply helped in some way  :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 10:17:36 pm »
Simply put, what I used to LEARN everything was my CLASS, and my TEACHER.

There are students out there who prefer doing things themselves. They become more and more common at uni with people skipping lectures and stuff. However I like being taught exactly what I need to know. This reply may seem like a redundancy, but I am not even kidding. I sit down in class, listen/participate in the discussion, ask questions whenever necessary (most teachers didn't mind me interrupting them if I timed it right) and copied down whatever was on the board.

Then, as I was writing/listening, I'd process it all in. The teachers always told me what syllabus points were being addressed in today's lesson, and then I knew to tick off what we had done. And that was it.

Some students (such as the dux at my school) were motivated enough to reteach themselves the content at home. I didn't bother with any of that though.

Now, as for studying, a textbook is what you use to gather the information, not to read over and over. Whilst rarely they throw in something unnecessary, in general the language in a textbook should all be perfectly comprehensible to a capable student. If something does not make sense, then this needs to be addressed - ASK.

The textbook will tell you heaps of bits and pieces, but from your lessons in class and doing what the teacher said you know what it is that you require. You will also have some things engraved into your long term memory, and other things that you just wrote down and immediately forgot about. The things you tend to forget about are typically associated with some kind of drowsiness in class (laziness, fatigue, uninterested) or just not your cup of tea (roted content v.s. analytical/computational stuff such as calculations).

And then when you make your notes, you use the textbook as a reference, look at OTHER'S notes to have a GUIDELINE, and then make your own.

Also, typing is useful only in the formatting. Your notes can be edited any time you like, and they are always in a presentable manner. It is very difficult to top off the tidiness of typed up notes compared to hand-written notes, so the cost v.s. benefit is your's to weigh out.

P.S. I'm aware that there's a possibility I responded not with what you were aiming for. Let me know if there's more you want me to comment on.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:39:17 pm by RuiAce »

dux99.95

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 10:04:17 pm »
Thank you bsdfjn;lkasn :) Yep flashcards are tremendously useful and I will start creating them. Definitely, I'll ask if I have any doubts.

RuiAce - that helped me! Thank you. Learning in class is actually great!! I will definitely start being more focused and active in my classes now :)

Happy new year guys and thanks for your advice!

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 09:25:36 am »
No worries!

Best of luck and i'm glad I could help  :)