Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:17:46 am

Author Topic: HSC Chemistry Question Thread  (Read 1045237 times)  Share 

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
Re: Chemistry Question Thread
« Reply #2325 on: June 21, 2017, 09:06:25 pm »
+1
Hope this helps!! ;)
Thank you so much! :D
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2326 on: June 21, 2017, 09:26:13 pm »
what are some risks related to using acids and how to prevent/deal with them like as a risk assessment - so like natural indicator pracs and titrations - help please ahhahaha prac tomorrow

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #2327 on: June 21, 2017, 09:36:56 pm »
+1
what are some risks related to using acids and how to prevent/deal with them like as a risk assessment - so like natural indicator pracs and titrations - help please ahhahaha prac tomorrow

Hey there,

For any acids or bases you use, you can be sure writing that either way, the substance will be corrosive. To minimise this risk, we wear gloves and safety glasses (as they are also skin/eye irritants).

If you have any questions, send them through and good luck!

kiwiberry

• HSC LECTURER
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #2328 on: June 21, 2017, 09:44:29 pm »

Also have a neutralising agent eg. NaHCO3 available nearby to clean up any spills, and a source of running water to wash any spills on skin. Good luck! :)
HSC 2017: English Adv (93) | Maths Ext 1 (99) | Maths Ext 2 (97) | Chemistry (95) | Physics (95)
ATAR: 99.85

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #2329 on: June 21, 2017, 10:13:31 pm »
+4
Also have a neutralising agent eg. NaHCO3 available nearby to clean up any spills, and a source of running water to wash any spills on skin. Good luck! :)

Also, make sure that the spill neutralising is not a strong acid/base because it is quite exothermic. Sodium bicarbonate is perfect since it is weak, and amphiprotic.
If you get a spill on your skin, do not neutralise on skin because it will burn. Wash with water quickly to remove acid or base. Base will form a slimy soap layer on skin, which is pretty gross.

Kekemato_BAP

• Forum Regular
  • Keep calm and study more
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2330 on: June 23, 2017, 10:15:36 am »
Can someone explain the K equilibrium value and the reaction quotient? The K equilibrium is easier but I don't know how they relate to each other.
Hello

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #2331 on: June 23, 2017, 10:39:31 am »
+4
Can someone explain the K equilibrium value and the reaction quotient? The K equilibrium is easier but I don't know how they relate to each other.

Hey! The reaction QUOTIENT a value used to describe a reaction at a particular point in time. However, the equilibrium constant is a value used to describe a reaction when it reaches equilibrium. They are calculated in exactly the same way (ie. same formula). However, you can use the reaction quotient (Q), when compared with the equilibrium constant (k) in order to determine which direction the reaction will shift.

If Q>k

Where the reaction quotient is greater than the given equilibrium value, the reaction will favour the reactants. Thus, it will move to the left until it reaches equilibrium.

If Q<k

Where the reaction quotient is less than the given equilibrium value, the reaction will favour the products. Thus, it will move to the right until it reaches equilibrium.

If Q=k

Where there reaction quotient is equal to the given equilibrium value, the reaction is at equilibrium!

In a question, you would likely be given an equilibrium value (eg. 2.4), and then a number of concentrations from which you can calculate the current reaction quotient. From that, you can decide in which direction the reaction will move!

ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

Piza

• Adventurer
« Reply #2332 on: June 24, 2017, 03:01:29 pm »
Hey guys, just a question about the trials and HSC.

After doing quite a few past papers, I have noticed the number of lines given for 6-7 mark questions. Did you guys adhere to this line limit or did you go on to ask for more paper? I am a bit worried because I am not sure if I can fit the required information into the lines provided (especially because I have large hand writing and I don't know if I could ask for paper during trials).

An example would be HSC 2013 Q30

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2333 on: June 24, 2017, 04:23:00 pm »
+2
Hey guys, just a question about the trials and HSC.

After doing quite a few past papers, I have noticed the number of lines given for 6-7 mark questions. Did you guys adhere to this line limit or did you go on to ask for more paper? I am a bit worried because I am not sure if I can fit the required information into the lines provided (especially because I have large hand writing and I don't know if I could ask for paper during trials).

An example would be HSC 2013 Q30

Hey hey!

You should definitely be using the number of lines given as a guide of how much to write. Try not to go over those lines, and definitely don't ask for more paper.

Answering long response questions in science becomes an exercise of identifying what a marker is looking for, and compacting as much detail into each sentence as possible. Make sure to answer the question, as succinctly as possible, but also try to 'throw in' extra information (literally by adding a few words, every here and there, with 'smart sounding' information). Practice makes perfect; once you've practised enough long responses, the technique needed becomes much easier to quickly perform.

Feel free to throw up an example answer, and I can take a look!

Piza

• Adventurer
« Reply #2334 on: June 24, 2017, 05:27:42 pm »
Thanks Jake! Here is an example answer, I tried to condense as much as I could.

HSC (2016)
Question 30 (7 marks)
The use of CFCs has caused ozone depletion in the stratosphere.
Explain the steps that have been taken to reduce this problem. Include relevant chemical equations in your answer.

CFCs have been extensively used in many appliances, though in turn this has led to the destruction of ozone in the stratosphere.

In this region, CFCs photo dissociate in the presence of UV to form chlorine free radicals. As seen in the equations below, this free radical will go on to destroy an ozone molecule, and then create a chain reaction.

CCIF3(g) + UV → Cl. (g) + CF3(g)
Cl. (g) + O3(g) → ClO. (g) + O2(g)
ClO. (g) + O. (g) → Cl. (g) + O2(g)

Because of this, there have been steps taken to reduce this problem. In 1987, the Montreal Protocol was signed which called for cutting CFC use in half by 1998. Though, NASA’s Ozone Trends Panel indicated that the protocol’s limitations were not enough to save the ozone layer, and thus most or all of CFC use would need to be cut.

Thus, substances with a lower ozone depletion potential (ODP) were required to replace CFCs. Today, hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs) and hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) are globally used as alternatives to CFCs. This is due to the presence of hydrogen in their structures which enable them to easily break down in the troposphere. This thereby lowers their ODP.

Therefore, the steps take to reduce the use of CFCs have in turn reduced the amount of ozone depletion.

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2335 on: June 25, 2017, 09:36:14 am »
+3
Thanks Jake! Here is an example answer, I tried to condense as much as I could.

HSC (2016)
Question 30 (7 marks)
The use of CFCs has caused ozone depletion in the stratosphere.
Explain the steps that have been taken to reduce this problem. Include relevant chemical equations in your answer.

CFCs have been extensively used in many appliances, though in turn this has led to the destruction of ozone in the stratosphere.

In this region, CFCs photo dissociate in the presence of UV to form chlorine free radicals. As seen in the equations below, this free radical will go on to destroy an ozone molecule, and then create a chain reaction.

CCIF3(g) + UV → Cl. (g) + CF3(g)
Cl. (g) + O3(g) → ClO. (g) + O2(g)
ClO. (g) + O. (g) → Cl. (g) + O2(g)

Because of this, there have been steps taken to reduce this problem. In 1987, the Montreal Protocol was signed which called for cutting CFC use in half by 1998. Though, NASA’s Ozone Trends Panel indicated that the protocol’s limitations were not enough to save the ozone layer, and thus most or all of CFC use would need to be cut.

Thus, substances with a lower ozone depletion potential (ODP) were required to replace CFCs. Today, hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs) and hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) are globally used as alternatives to CFCs. This is due to the presence of hydrogen in their structures which enable them to easily break down in the troposphere. This thereby lowers their ODP.

Therefore, the steps take to reduce the use of CFCs have in turn reduced the amount of ozone depletion.

Hey! Good answer; here's how I would have structured it, to engage a bit more in the question, and the additional information I would add/stuff I would leave out.

CFCs were developed in the 1930s to be used as refrigerants. They were widely used, as they were cheap, and easy to produce. However, in 1974 it was demonstrated that CFCs caused Ozone Depletion (in fact, this won the Nobel prize).

Insert Chemical equations you used above

The 1985 Vienna Convention, and the 1987 Montreal Protocol, aimed to restrict our use of CFCs. By this time, over 50% of the Ozone concentration over Antarctica had been decimated.

Further, the 1997 Kyoto Protocol required Halon produced to cease by 2010, in line with recommendations made by NASA's Ozone Trends Panel.

From then, countries have agreed to entirely phase out CFCs, which were replaced by HCFCs. However, whilst these HCFCs have a lower ODP, they do not have an ODP of zero. Thus, these too will need to be phased out in favour of HFCs.

An that's it! I suspect my answer is shorter (note that I have ONLY included steps taken to reduce the use of CFCs, rather than sentences containing too much extraneous detail. However, I have included LOADS of information, which is sure to impress the maker).

Again, it is all about making every word of every sentence count. Just load your sentences with information, and make sure to really engage with the question.

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2336 on: June 25, 2017, 12:04:18 pm »

What's the overall equation for 16? And if you guys could I would really appreciate a solution. THANKS

winstondarmawan

• Forum Obsessive

MisterNeo

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2338 on: June 25, 2017, 01:19:11 pm »
+4
(Image removed from quote.)
What's the overall equation for 16? And if you guys could I would really appreciate a solution. THANKS

There are two equations for this question:

The question requires you to first find the concentration of the hydrochloric acid solution. Your result is then used to find the concentration of the barium hydroxide. So if you get the first one wrong, the second one will also be wrong.

Part A: hydrochloric acid

Only 10mL of this was used to neutralise 21.3mL of acid

BUT it is a 1:2 mole ratio...

Part B: barium hydroxide

BUT it is a 2:1 mole ratio...

Only 25mL of Ba(OH)2 was needed to neutralise 27.1mL of acid

Find it in g/L.

I may be wrong, so answers would be nice. Hope this helps  ;D

MisterNeo

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2339 on: June 25, 2017, 01:40:00 pm »
+4
Would appreciate help with the following Q, TIA.
https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/19441136_1251456198313234_1798191632_n.png?oh=f2983a459a9a0f6288e114cc1b331e56&oe=59516987

I'd say the answer is A.
The carbon in methane has an oxidation state of -4 and hydrogen always has a state of +1 unless bonded as a metal hydride; and molecules like methane must have a total oxidation state of 0.

The carbon on the reactant side (methane) gets converted into carbon dioxide on the product side. Carbon dioxide has 2 oxygens of -2, thus carbon must be +4 to bring the charge down to 0.
Therefore, the carbon has changed oxidation states from -4 to +4, which is being oxidised by losing electrons to become a positive species.

The O2 oxygen also has a change in oxidation state by going from 0 (diatomic) to -2 (carbon dioxide). However, the options only had oxidised oxygen, which is incorrect.

Hope this helps :) Look out for changes in oxidation state!!