Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 03:11:02 pm

Author Topic: HSC Physics Question Thread  (Read 1036240 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Physics Question Thread
« Reply #2295 on: June 19, 2017, 11:48:13 pm »
+3
My teacher didn't specify, he won't even give us any hints haha.
So far my class has only done Motors/Generators, Ideas and Quanta. However my teacher did say that the prac will be on something we haven't done yet

Considering the entire class will need to do it I'm guessing it will have to involve a prac where alot of people can take part in it. So circuits? Motion pracs involving weights and retort stands?

Rats! Very strange - It could even be a Space prac with formulas given! You might be getting the pendulum experiment :)

In any case, try and read up on the following:

- The theory, if you can, but for you this is difficult because no hints!
- Accuracy, validity, reliability
- Variables (independent, dependent, controlled)
- Graphing and lines of best fit
- Discussions (what to include, how it is structured, etc)

There's not much else you can do unfortunately, especially with so little to go on! It might be worth seeing if there are any prac exams on THSC that you can use as a guide ;D

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #2296 on: June 19, 2017, 11:54:27 pm »
Rats! Very strange - It could even be a Space prac with formulas given! You might be getting the pendulum experiment :)

In any case, try and read up on the following:

- The theory, if you can, but for you this is difficult because no hints!
- Accuracy, validity, reliability
- Variables (independent, dependent, controlled)
- Graphing and lines of best fit
- Discussions (what to include, how it is structured, etc)

There's not much else you can do unfortunately, especially with so little to go on! It might be worth seeing if there are any prac exams on THSC that you can use as a guide ;D
Thanks for the advice and quick reply! ;D

I'll check out that site, also I'll see if i can squeeze anything out of my teacher this week haha :D
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

johnk21

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2297 on: June 21, 2017, 01:54:01 pm »
Can someone please explain to me what Planck and Einsteins contribution are to the black body radiation curve? Thanks in advance :)

winstondarmawan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2298 on: June 21, 2017, 06:30:11 pm »
Hello!
1. Can someone please explain Pauli's exclusion principle and electron's quantum numbers clearly? We went over it but I don't really understand it properly.
2. What are the things to look out for and include in a Prac Exam discussion? I lost many marks there and I'd like to avoid it in the future.
TIA

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2299 on: June 21, 2017, 08:16:09 pm »
+1
Can someone please explain to me what Planck and Einsteins contribution are to the black body radiation curve? Thanks in advance :)

Hey John! I've written a couple of guides that cover this general topic area, see them here and here ;D Hope they help!

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #2300 on: June 21, 2017, 08:37:14 pm »
Hi!
I've got a question regarding the Pendulum experiment (when you are altering the mass to determine the acceleration due to gravity).

How would you improve the validity of this experiment?

My solution would be to ensure that the controlled variables are kept constant (even more constant then what they currently are).
ie: using a digital measuring gauge to ensure that the angular displacement (theta) of the pendulum is kept constant (as opposed to using a protractor which would increase the chances of human reading error).

Would this answer be fine? Also what else what you include to improve the validity of this particular experiment? And is my understanding of validity even correct?  ;D ;D

Any help would be greatly appreciated  ;D

Thanks  :)
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2301 on: June 21, 2017, 08:40:30 pm »

Hello!
1. Can someone please explain Pauli's exclusion principle and electron's quantum numbers clearly? We went over it but I don't really understand it properly.
2. What are the things to look out for and include in a Prac Exam discussion? I lost many marks there and I'd like to avoid it in the future.
TIA

Is this in ideas for superconductors? If so this is very very far from what you need to know. From what I understand of it- two electrons can't spin in the same state inside a quantum system - cooper pairs don't follow this and spin in the same state. This along with the lattice structure vibrating so little at the critical temperatures means these pairs can form. - I think. Quantum numbers I do not know and I look forward to a better explanation from the moderators.

Hope this helps a lil

winstondarmawan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2302 on: June 21, 2017, 08:55:11 pm »
Is this in ideas for superconductors? If so this is very very far from what you need to know. From what I understand of it- two electrons can't spin in the same state inside a quantum system - cooper pairs don't follow this and spin in the same state. This along with the lattice structure vibrating so little at the critical temperatures means these pairs can form. - I think. Quantum numbers I do not know and I look forward to a better explanation from the moderators.

Hope this helps a lil

No, this is for Quanta to Quarks (option topic). However, the help is appreciated. :)

kiwiberry

• HSC LECTURER
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #2303 on: June 21, 2017, 09:38:57 pm »
+4
Hello!
TIA

Not 100% confident with this, but I'll give it a shot
The four quantum numbers are:
- Principal quantum number (n) - describes the energy shells and the electron's distance from the nucleus
- Angular momentum quantum number (L) - describes the shape of orbit
- Magnetic quantum number (ml) - describes the orientation of the electrons
- 'Spin' quantum number (ms) - describes the spin axis of the electrons
Pauli's exclusion principle states that no two electrons can have the same 4 quantum numbers. This provided the reason for the maximum number of electrons in each shell, thus explaining the position of elements on the periodic table.

For prac discussions, the main things to talk about are reliability, accuracy, validity, and any improvements you could make. Hope that helped :)
HSC 2017: English Adv (93) | Maths Ext 1 (99) | Maths Ext 2 (97) | Chemistry (95) | Physics (95)
ATAR: 99.85

johnk21

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2304 on: June 22, 2017, 09:20:21 pm »
Can someone please help me with this HSC question for med physics.
Explain the difference in the relaxation times of hydrogen in water and the relaxation time of hydrogen in other molecules. (3 marks)

Jyrgal

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2306 on: June 24, 2017, 08:35:06 pm »
Hello!

I just need to get my head around length contraction & time dilation haha, unfortunately alot of past papers/questions get this wrong and im extremely confused on whether my thinking is right

So let's say from a stationary frame of reference, someone views a planet of length L. When this someone climbs into a spaceship and flies at 0.8C, he sees the L get contracted, while time also decreases (not legit but an example: 1 second on spaceship=2seconds on the stationary reference). They should both decrease in proportion as C(speed of light)=Distance/Time is constant

Is this correct?

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #2307 on: June 25, 2017, 09:12:04 am »
+1
Can someone please help me with this HSC question for med physics.
Explain the difference in the relaxation times of hydrogen in water and the relaxation time of hydrogen in other molecules. (3 marks)

Hey! Hydrogen ions in water have a very long relaxation time (T1 is about 4000 ms, T2 is about 2000 ms). However, Hydrogen ions in other substances have a much shorter relaxation time. This makes testing for water concentration very easy, as the 'signature' of water is very distinct!
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2308 on: June 25, 2017, 09:16:10 am »
+1
Hello! Can someone please help me understand this question, I have the answer but I do not understand it.
Question:
https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/19433791_1250773725048148_1099258653_n.jpg?oh=d51a25252a0cfc50107a2c6784586cd9&oe=59508E20
https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/19441301_1250773908381463_404155012_n.jpg?oh=95f7190931fa49c04e37e18e47b22826&oe=5950836F
Answer:
https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/19244049_1250774138381440_1719650737_n.jpg?oh=5abcee2c34e5f38fd9843fa7176ddb7b&oe=5950D4BD

Hey! I can't really read the question or the answer based on that link, but I THINK you're talking about how we tell how much to shift a graph by, when a stopping voltage has initially been applied, and then taken away?

So, the stopping voltage was originally 4.1V. When it is removed, we can calculate exactly how many 'extra' energy the electrons will have (remember, stopping voltage is energy used to 'restrain' electrons to the nucleus. Thus, if you remove the stopping voltage, the electrons will be able to fire off more easily!). Convert 4.1V to energy (I think the method is on the formula sheet). Then, set that equal to hf, and find the new 'threshold frequency'. Finally, make sure the graph has a gradient of 'h', and you're done!

Sorry that this isn't more comprehensive, I've got an exam tomorrow :)

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2309 on: June 25, 2017, 09:24:38 am »
+1
Hello!

I just need to get my head around length contraction & time dilation haha, unfortunately alot of past papers/questions get this wrong and im extremely confused on whether my thinking is right

So let's say from a stationary frame of reference, someone views a planet of length L. When this someone climbs into a spaceship and flies at 0.8C, he sees the L get contracted, while time also decreases (not legit but an example: 1 second on spaceship=2seconds on the stationary reference). They should both decrease in proportion as C(speed of light)=Distance/Time is constant

Is this correct?

Hey! Pretty much everything you've said above is correct! Sounds like you have a good understanding of the Space topic area :) However, I don't think that the ratio of length to time is always constant. The formulas just don't indicate as much. You've set the speed of light as velocity; in the frame of the light particle, then yes length over time is always constant. However, I'm not certain that this is the case for an observer travelling at less than the speed of light.

Basically, it doesn't matter, there's no point knowing/talking about this because it is outside the curriculum. Just focus on being able to use the formulas, and explain the principle.