Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:56:13 pm

Author Topic: Operant Conditioning Questions  (Read 1340 times)  Share 

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
Operant Conditioning Questions
« on: October 17, 2009, 01:50:14 pm »
I have just been a little confused with Operant Conditioning's Stimulus Generalisation and Discrimination

Stimulus Generalisation occurs when the correct response is made to another stimulus that is similar to the stimulus that was present when the conditioned response was reinforced.
* What is the stimulus? I was told it was the reinforcement given, but i assume this is not correct.
* Does anyone know any good examples for this? If possible, link it to Skinner's Rats, or everyday life.

Same with discrimination, what is the stimulus, and some good examples?

Thanks!

Edit, i have another question heh.
With the schedules of reinforcement (fixed/variable ratio, fixed/variable interval), which is the most resistant to extinction, the fastest response rate & any other important ones?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 01:56:11 pm by vexx »
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

Caspar

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Re: Operant Conditioning Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 05:05:13 pm »
Most resistant, opposite of other shit i put at the bottom.
Variable interval
Fixed interval
Variable ratio
Fixed ratio
Least resistant, Fastest to aquire, least steady responce rate.

Gonna edit with your other question after I think a bit.
UMAT tuition (95/96%iles, 100%iles in S1/S3 between us): http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,33968.0.html

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 06:50:27 pm »
thanks for that!!

i'll just hope you or someone knows the other questions :|
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

Poppy M

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 07:16:24 pm »
In terms of operant conditioning 'stimulus generalisation' is when the individual (for example rat) will make the same response or 'operant' to an environment ("stimuli") that they were first conditioned to.

For example... if the rat learned through operant conditioning that they were reward with food every time they pressed on a BLUE lever, stimulus generalisation might occur if they were introduced to a PURPLE lever and they made the response of pressing it expecting to get a food reward... this is because the 'stimuli' of the lever is similar and so the rat generalises that if it got results from the blue one, it'd probably get results from the purple one!
I hope that makes sense!   

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 08:16:58 pm »
In terms of operant conditioning 'stimulus generalisation' is when the individual (for example rat) will make the same response or 'operant' to an environment ("stimuli") that they were first conditioned to.

For example... if the rat learned through operant conditioning that they were reward with food every time they pressed on a BLUE lever, stimulus generalisation might occur if they were introduced to a PURPLE lever and they made the response of pressing it expecting to get a food reward... this is because the 'stimuli' of the lever is similar and so the rat generalises that if it got results from the blue one, it'd probably get results from the purple one!
I hope that makes sense!   

i think so thanks! so basically the stimulus is the environment or situation the organism must act on to perform a particular response to get the consequence?

would that mean in this situation, stimulus discrimination would be if the rat would only push the blue lever to get the reward and not the purple if it would flash?

d0minicz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 08:18:09 pm »
correct
Doctor of Medicine (UoM)

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 08:29:43 pm »
correct
ha thanks=]

not to be a bother, but what are some good real life examples for either?

sir0004

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 11:04:32 pm »
stimulus generalisation- child cleaning his/her desk to get reward also tidies his/her bed to get reward
stimulus discrimination- child ONLY cleans his/her desk to get the reward and does not do clean his/her bed in order to get reward.

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 11:48:03 pm »
stimulus generalisation- child cleaning his/her desk to get reward also tidies his/her bed to get reward
stimulus discrimination- child ONLY cleans his/her desk to get the reward and does not do clean his/her bed in order to get reward.

awesome thanks!!