Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 03:04:04 am

Author Topic: Just a lot of questions about Year 12 and 3/4 subjects  (Read 414 times)  Share 

nicolalica

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Just a lot of questions about Year 12 and 3/4 subjects
« on: July 21, 2019, 09:21:22 pm »
+2
Yo! I'm currently in year 11 and as the time passes (cannot believe it's already July. In fact July is almost flippin' over!!), I am thinking more and more about subject selection for year 12. I somewhat have an idea of what subjects I want to do, but am still unsure about one of them.

Right now, I am doing english, english language, literature, legal studies and hhd. I haven't done any 3/4 subjects like I know a lot of people on here do prior to year 12.
The subjects I'm most likely choosing for next year are english language, legal studies, business management, hhd and history revolutions. I'm a bit iffy on doing history because i have a love/hate relationship with it, but compared to my other options (psychology or english), it seems the most bearable.
I feel pretty confident in doing 3/4 englang, legal studies, business and hhd. I'm doing pretty well in 1/2 englang and enjoy the subject much more than english or lit. I'm doing very very well in legal, having gotten 100% on two of my sacs this year and overall finding the subject a breeze (as well as geniunely enjoying it). I have just started unit 2 hhd but so far it seems relatively easy and straightforward, and from what i've heard about business 3/4, I'm certain I will have no problems doing well in it.
I'm aware all of these 3/4 subjects get scaled down (except for englang) but I honestly don't care. I believe in doing well regardless of scaling to get a good atar. And in regards to the atar... I want to get 85 or above. Melb university is my ideal uni.
So with that to consider, I'd like to know a couple things-
1. Can i handle doing those 3/4 subjects, as in do they compliment each other, is it a reasonable workload (obviously i know no matter what subjects u do year 12 is a heavy workload but a few months ago when i was considering doing lit, englang and history revs in 3/4, a teacher told me that would be an extremely heavy workload).
2. If I am good at memorising content, enjoy those subjects and their content and study efficiently, is a 85 & above ATAR achievable? Is it difficult to get a high atar with these subjects? Should I be expecting less?
3. Hit me with all the advice about preparing for year 12! In year 11 so far I've been taking it a bit too easy, and I definitely need to improve on my study habits and mentality for year 12. How would you suggest I prepare over the rest of the year to put myself in the best position at the start of year 12? Can one go from getting 70s,80s and a couple 90s in year 11 to getting 85% + in year 12? If I am determined and put my mind to it, could i actually achieve a high atar??

Apologises for the rambly, messy post!

From an overthinking year 11 student 😂

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Just a lot of questions about Year 12 and 3/4 subjects
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 05:06:06 pm »
+3
Yo! :)

I'm aware all of these 3/4 subjects get scaled down (except for englang) but I honestly don't care. I believe in doing well regardless of scaling to get a good atar.

Love this, and totally agree. I took a similar approach - all of my subjects bar EngLang scaled down!

1. Can i handle doing those 3/4 subjects, as in do they compliment each other, is it a reasonable workload (obviously i know no matter what subjects u do year 12 is a heavy workload but a few months ago when i was considering doing lit, englang and history revs in 3/4, a teacher told me that would be an extremely heavy workload).

Looks great to me! Pretty content-heavy overall but nothing unmanageable IMO. :)

2. If I am good at memorising content, enjoy those subjects and their content and study efficiently, is a 85 & above ATAR achievable? Is it difficult to get a high atar with these subjects? Should I be expecting less?

100% possible. It's difficult to get a high ATAR with any subject combination, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. You can play around on ATAR Calc to see what sort of combinations you'd need to get an 85+ ATAR, but honestly, it seems to me like you're passionate about the subjects, and that already puts you ahead of the pack. Back yourself!

3. Hit me with all the advice about preparing for year 12! In year 11 so far I've been taking it a bit too easy, and I definitely need to improve on my study habits and mentality for year 12. How would you suggest I prepare over the rest of the year to put myself in the best position at the start of year 12? Can one go from getting 70s,80s and a couple 90s in year 11 to getting 85% + in year 12? If I am determined and put my mind to it, could i actually achieve a high atar??

Is that score progression possible? Yes, definitely. Can you achieve a high ATAR? Yes, definitely.

My advice would be to firstly have a think about what you're currently doing well, and what you think you could improve. You could even make a post here to track your progress! Once you've identified your strengths and weaknesses atm when it comes to study, I think it'll be a lot easier to highlight what and how you can improve. :)

Apologises for the rambly, messy post!

From an overthinking year 11 student 😂

Absolutely no stress at all. Please, please, please feel free to keep posting your thoughts! We're here to help. :)

From an overthinking ex-VCE student. 😂

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.