Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 10:50:39 am

Author Topic: german strategies/tactic clarification??  (Read 868 times)  Share 

ilovemycat

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
german strategies/tactic clarification??
« on: November 17, 2017, 05:11:04 am »

Hi, got these off jakes notes and i was wondering if someone could clarify what exactly dog fights, gunbusses, dreadnaughts, u boats actually were? im getting really conflicting info online  :-\ :-\

Dog fights: Eg, Gunbus.
Naval race: Eg, Dreadnaughts, U-boats

thanks  :D

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: german strategies/tactic clarification??
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 09:45:20 am »
+4
Hi, got these off jakes notes and i was wondering if someone could clarify what exactly dog fights, gunbusses, dreadnaughts, u boats actually were? im getting really conflicting info online  :-\ :-\

Dog fights: Eg, Gunbus.
Naval race: Eg, Dreadnaughts, U-boats

thanks  :D
Hey! My understanding is that dog fights were battles between fighter aircrafts :) The gunbus was just an example of one of the fighter aircrafts (pictured below :) )

Then the naval race was the race to develop a stronger naval presence/fighting capacity, and that was achieved through the development of more sophisticated naval wartime technology, such as dreadnaughts and u boats.

Dreadnought were a form of battleship, that was supposedly super intimidating. The Dreadnought was unique to battleships that came before it, because of its new "all-big gun" armament scheme (these guns were also a lot stronger than those of battleships past), and steam turbine propulsion. They were first used in Britain, and really intensified the naval race. U-boat is another word for submarine! The Germans used them a lot during WW1 under their policy of "unrestricted submarine warfare" :)

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you're still confused :)

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

ilovemycat

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
Re: german strategies/tactic clarification??
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 07:16:33 pm »
+1
you are just awesome - thank you  :)