Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:49:52 pm

Author Topic: Re: What bachelor degree is most useful for law?  (Read 500 times)  Share 

DoctorTwo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: What bachelor degree is most useful for law?
« on: December 15, 2018, 12:46:42 am »
Hey guys, I need a bit of guidance on which course I should have as my first preference.
I’ve had Melbourne Arts as my first preference and Monash Arts as my second pretty much since I started listing preferences. I thought Melbourne was my dream course, but I also 100% thought I wouldn’t get the 85+ required and I knew I wasn’t eligible for Access Melbourne. It was kind of a blessing and a curse when I got above 85 because now I need to choose one of the other.

I want to go to Melbourne pretty much for its prestige and I’ve heard that its BA is supposed to be really good. The reason I’m posting in this thread is because I’m intending to do either a JD or teaching after the undergraduate.
-You’re able to do Monash JD after Melbourne BA, for example, or vice versa, right? However, I’ve also heard that Melbourne focuses on money and research, has a lot of foreigners that aren’t great at speaking English etc. etc. It would also be a 2 hour drive/train ride there and the same back, which is probably the largest deterrent if I’m being honest.

I want to go to Monash because it’s about half the time there and back, and tends to have a better reputation with students, although the courses are not as flexible. I forgot to mention Melbourne also has the economics major, which I would like to do but if I go to Monash, I’d have to settle for politics or something else where I’d rather do econ. If I could get into Business or Commerce and Arts double degree at Monash, I’d definitely do that, but I didn’t do maths in vce at all so that’s out of the picture.

Just for reference, at Melbourne, I’d major in criminology and minor in econ (can’t/shouldn’t major without methods) and at Monash, major in criminology and major in politics.

I know this post is kind of all over the place, but if anyone’s done a ba at either of those, I’d appreciate any advice, particularly if you did one of those majors/minors. Thanks!
P.S: if anyone has had to travel for 2 hours or more for uni, please tell me what it was like! :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Re: What bachelor degree is most useful for law?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 09:28:35 am »
+2
Hey,

In first sem I travelled about 3 hours each way for uni by ptv, I moved during the break between semesters & so sem 2 was only (a bit under) 2 hours each way.

3 hours was incredibly draining, especially since I was going to uni almost every day. I wasn't prepared for how mentally draining it is to leave home when it's dark and get back when it's dark (I usually had an early morning class) - it might sound like a small thing, but it had a significant impact on my psyche.
2 hours has been much better. It does take a bit of practice to get used to, but now I can use my ptv time fairly effectively. 2nd sem I was much smarter about things:
my tips
- if you have a day where you only have lectures, and that lecture will be recorded, don't go to the lecture (you can check if they're usually recorded in the uni subject reviews). Instead, download the lecture, and watch it on the train on the next day you go to uni  (works best for units where you don't take notes)
- download quizlet and use it
- imo, don't do assessed quizzes on your phone on the train
- if you're a journaling type person you can journal on the train
- if you get a seat, you can pull your laptop out & work on assignments
- if you can't think properly, just reading or staring out he window is fine
- a lot of my posting on these forums is on the train
- schedule your classes so you don't have to go in every day

Less travel time is certainly ideal, but I've found 2 hours to be manageable