Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 10:07:45 pm

Author Topic: Doing 2nd year unit in 1st year?  (Read 1900 times)  Share 

thenerdygangster

• Trailblazer
  • In other news, gravity still works
  • Respect: 0
Doing 2nd year unit in 1st year?
« on: February 08, 2017, 08:01:29 pm »
So I'm currently enrolled into the Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash Uni and I have opt to do BMS2011(Structure of the Human Body) in place of BMS1031(Medical Biophysics). I'm having second thoughts about that now :-\. Although I'd like to put off doing physics for as long as possible, I'd have to do it eventually. I'm not sure how I would fit in with the other 2nd year students especially when it comes to group projects. Has anyone done a second year unit in their first year of uni before? What was it like?
2015 - 2016: VCE
2017 - 20XX: Adult-ing

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Doing 2nd year unit in 1st year?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:16:17 pm »
I did it on several occasions throughout my bachelor degree.

* A 3rd year unit in my 2nd year
* Two postgrad units in my final (3rd) year

Units are done in a specific order for a reason (as defined in a course map) - given that most units require pre-requisite knowledge in order to be successful in them. In saying that though, if you feel that you would be able to adequately do well in it.. then I don't see why not. Forget the whole '1st year' '2nd year' etc.... just because you're in a "lower" year than others, it doesn't mean you are less or anything like that (it's not like high school :P).

I actually enjoyed the challenge of a higher unit - and did quite well in them. Everyone's different, but sometimes the difficulty is a motivator and positive rather than the opposite. Just remember that you can basically 'try before you buy' for the first 3 or so weeks of the semester (can withdraw/change before census date).
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 08:23:20 pm »

I would think doing BMS1031 is more beneficial than doing a 2nd year unit, just to delay yourself doing physics. If you are planning to do the GAMSAT it is advisable to have knowledge of physics to a year 12 level. This is covered by doing BMS1031.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:25:49 pm by Sine »

thenerdygangster

• Trailblazer
  • In other news, gravity still works
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 12:37:25 pm »
Thanks for the reply's guys  :D

After mulling it over last night, I think I'll do biophysics first and we'll see how we go from there
Chalk another one up for my indecisiveness ::)
2015 - 2016: VCE
2017 - 20XX: Adult-ing