Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 05:05:55 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3615892 times)  Share 

tomsj456123456

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #11715 on: June 03, 2019, 11:43:51 am »
can vaccines be used to prevent multiple sclerosis

Why is inflammation worse for people with HIV

NGU0240

• Adventurer
  • sample text
  • Respect: -3
« Reply #11716 on: June 03, 2019, 01:21:20 pm »
Question: when I get the flu jab at the local chemist, why does it sting a bit afterwards and my arms get sore?

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #11717 on: June 03, 2019, 01:42:18 pm »
+8

Before we weigh in on these questions it's important that you give them a go first. And don't worry about being wrong, it's all part of the learning process.

Question: when I get the flu jab at the local chemist, why does it sting a bit afterwards and my arms get sore?
The soreness and redness in the region of the injection of a vaccine are characteristics of an inflammation response. Since this flu vaccine contains the specific antigens of an influenza virus (the flu), your body will mount an immune response to those antigens contained in the vaccine. This will involve the inflammation response in the local region of the injection aswell as the action of innate cells such as neutrophils and the activation of the adaptive immune response.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 07:08:43 pm by Erutepa »
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

f0od

• Forum Regular
« Reply #11718 on: June 03, 2019, 04:23:33 pm »
Antibodies can bind to antigens in such a way to cause agglutination - essentially 'clumping' antigens together or forming a lattice
You can find some good example images from a quick google. here is one:
(Image removed from quote.)

whoops I haven't checked this in a while, but thanks so much! No idea why no images like this came up when I googled :/

Is it true that antibiotics can treat some fungal infections, or do they not work at all?

Mod edit (PF): Merged post
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 04:59:15 pm by PhoenixxFire »
class of 2019

NGU0240

• Adventurer
  • sample text
  • Respect: -3
« Reply #11719 on: June 03, 2019, 04:27:39 pm »
Click here to hide this post again.
June 03, 2019, 04:27:39 pm - Hidden.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #11720 on: June 03, 2019, 06:18:41 pm »
+10
Thanks dad

Erutepa is just repeating the very consistent standard that we've set here. This thread isn't a search engine and you will benefit a lot more from it if you don't treat it as such. In future you'd be well advised to thank people for helping you, rather than being a smart arse about a perfectly valid comment they made.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

DBA-144

• MOTM: APR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #11721 on: June 03, 2019, 11:24:01 pm »
+1
To answer the question, however (sorry, might as well do it. Might not be right, tho soooo): 

vaccines can't prevent multiple sclerosis. This is because vaccination is a) for pathogens, eg. virus b) because ms is a autoimmune disease, where an immune response is activated against cells which it shouldn't be (i.e a self cell).

I imagine that the reason for the 2nd one is that as the HIV is engulfed by the APC, it could prevent itself from being phagocytosed fully (i.e broken down), lie dormant until the APC reaches the lymph nodes, and then infect the T helper cells there. Inflammation increases phagocyte presence at the site of infection, hence increasing the chances of this happening.

Also, T helper cells can migrate to the site of infection (to activate macrophages)and HIV particles may infect them there. In both cases, T helper cell infection is occurring because of the activation of inflammation.
I don't think we need to know about this, but this can be asked as a suggest why... question. Can someone please confirm or am I just dreaming that vcaa doesn't expect us to know this?

Sorry if I defeated the purpose here.  :-[

PM me for Methods (raw 46) and Chemistry (raw 48) resources (notes, practice SACs, etc.)

I also offer tutoring for these subjects, units 1-4 :)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #11722 on: June 04, 2019, 06:14:11 am »
+3
Is it true that antibiotics can treat some fungal infections, or do they not work at all?
Did a quick google search and the internet doesn’t seem to agree lol. For VCE, assume that antibiotics only work against bacteria.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

radiant roses

• Adventurer
« Reply #11723 on: June 04, 2019, 04:50:56 pm »
Hi I have a few questions
1) Would a mother treated from a virus disease be able to provide immunity to her child?
2) 2 benefits of having memory cells after exposure to a virus disease
3) How does antigen-antibody complex provide protection

thanks!

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #11724 on: June 04, 2019, 04:56:11 pm »
+1
Hi I have a few questions
1) Would a mother treated from a virus disease be able to provide immunity to her child?

thanks!
Hey! Welcome to AN :)

What information do you already know about this? Us just giving you the answer isn't really going to help you to learn the content. If you tell us what you think the answer might be or how you think you need to approach the question then we'll be able to help you learn how to answer it much more effectively :)

radiant roses

• Adventurer
« Reply #11725 on: June 04, 2019, 06:10:53 pm »
+1
Hey! Welcome to AN :)

This is what I think:

Yes because she could provide her child with antibodies through passive artificial immunity.
A stronger and quicker response upon secondary exposure to the virus.
Agglutination - antibodies clump the antigens together which are later destroyed by phagocytes
Neutralisation: antibodies blocks/neutralises the harmful chemicals produced by antigens which are then destroyed by phagocytosis

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #11726 on: June 04, 2019, 06:32:59 pm »
+4
This is what I think:

Yes because she could provide her child with antibodies through passive artificial immunity.
Agglutination - antibodies clump the antigens together which are later destroyed by phagocytes
Neutralisation: antibodies blocks/neutralises the harmful chemicals produced by antigens which are then destroyed by phagocytosis

1). This is a really bad question for multiple reasons.
- It doesn't specify how the mother is treated. If she does not have antibodies then those antibodies can't be passed to the child.
- It doesn't specify how old the child is/if the child is being breastfed.
Assuming that the child is very young and the mother is breatfeeding them and has antibodies that she can pass on, then your answer is almost correct - It would be natural passive immunity, not artificial. Artificial passive immunity occurs when a person is injected with antibodies (e.g. snake antivenom).

2) This is perfect - I'd just change it to say "exposure to a virus with identical antigens" instead, because that's the only case where memory cells will actually help and being precise in biology is important. Even if it's the same virus, if it has different antigens, your memory cells won't help - that's why you can get the cold over and over again.

3) I would join these two points together, the agglutination results in neutralisation. Clumps of pathogens aren't able to carry out the function that they're intending to - for example if that was a virus, it would now be too large to enter and infect a cell. You should also be a bit more careful with your wording here - antibodies bind to antigens, however an antigen doesn't have the ability to produce a harmful chemical, or do any harm really - it's the pathogen that the antigen is (normally) attached to that does harm. Antigen-antibody complexes can also make antigens easier for phagocytes to find, and then destroy (called opsonization).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 07:04:01 pm by PhoenixxFire »

Gianni Farfaglia

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11727 on: June 04, 2019, 06:39:48 pm »
+3
This is what I think:

Hey I think you hit a really good answer for most, however.
for (3) can also mention - opsinisation --> assisting in phagocytosis of the pathogen by maing it easier to recognise
- Activating complement proteins

Comet striker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #11728 on: June 04, 2019, 11:16:01 pm »
Got ma Bio SAC on thursday gonna ask a shit ton of questions.
When talking about humoural response, what're the main points to go through?
-macrophage presents antigen on MHC II markers
-Naive B cell binds to antigen(sketchy I have no idea about how to shorten: macrophages are looking for a matching a naive B cell that matches with antigen structure)
-B cell proliferates into plasma B cells and memory B cells
-Plasma B cells produce antibodies while memory B cells stay behind for secondary immune response
-Antibodies cause: agglutination, neutralization, precipitation, cell lysis
Should I include part about helper T cells deciding whether or not B cells can proliferate or not?

Neurotransmitters:
How tf do their ion channels work. Like I get the bit where theres a chemical imbalance between inside and outside of the cell membrane. But how is that stuff an electrical impulse.

Signal transduction:
Hydrophillic signalling molecules: whatre the main points to mention when talking about hydrophillic signalling molecules?
-ligand binds to receptor on the surface of the cell membrane.
-ligand forms signalling molecule-receptor complex
-receptor changes shapes causing a cascade of events leading to release of secondary messengers
-Secondary messengers amplify the signal throughout the cell causing cellular response

Also other interesting question I have:
Is there any advantage between hydrophobic or hydrophillic signalling molecule? Do hydrophobic molecules cause a more long lasting response(since transcription is affected) than hydrophillic signalling molecules.

I know a lot of my points are sorta wrong, sorta wrong order, sorta non sense and all of you are pretty little angels but srly dont hold back. If I got an idea completely backwards, let me have it. Be sure to tell about how my non sense insulted the very core understanding of biology. :P Aight im off to sleep
Leaves from the vine
Falling so slow
Like fragile tiny shells
Drifting in the foam
Little soldier boy
Come marching home
Brave soldier boy
Comes marching home

Comet striker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #11729 on: June 04, 2019, 11:17:56 pm »
Ooo just quickly
difference between antibodies and complement proteins. I feel like they do pretty much the same thing except antibodies are specific and that antibodies also trigger  complement proteins. Someone explain pls <3
Leaves from the vine
Falling so slow
Like fragile tiny shells
Drifting in the foam
Little soldier boy
Come marching home
Brave soldier boy
Comes marching home