Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:46:18 am

Author Topic: Working out for series and sequence applications (financial questions)  (Read 776 times)  Share 

Manar.alogaidi

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
I have an upcoming exam on series and sequences applications, and whilst looking at the HSC exemplar response (attached below) I noticed they tend to skip writing out the steps in relation to the generalized An. If the solutions show it this way, is it OK to skip that, and go onto A60 by following the pattern? It would save me crucial time and is somewhat unnecessary in my opinion.

Thank you  ;D ;D ;D ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Working out for series and sequence applications (financial questions)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 08:36:48 pm »
+2
Is this a NESA solution? More often than not NESA solutions are not exemplar. They randomly pluck out any ‘adequate’ response (potentially band 4) and put it there.

Unless you have working out from previous parts that you can obviously recycle, that is definitely not ok. In the real world, the pattern can change as a result of various factors (e.g. frequency of compounding does not match frequency of payments) and that messes things up, so I would challenge your statement and say that for HSC purposes it certainly IS necessary. (It is equivalent to making sure you use the correct formula in the real world.)

Although, your attached solution does imply that there actually were recyclable computations, so that might help.

infinityandbeyond

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Working out for series and sequence applications (financial questions)
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 04:18:01 pm »
+1
I think it will be fine as long as you have shown your working out very clearly that the marker can understand. The easier for the marker, the more marks you are likely to get.
However, I feel like doing things step by step will reduce your chances of making silly mistakes.