Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:28:30 pm

Author Topic: Bachelor of Science - Advanced (Research)  (Read 2766 times)  Share 

msxcbvc

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Bachelor of Science - Advanced (Research)
« on: November 30, 2016, 04:16:56 pm »
I've put this course as one of my top preferences, but I'm not sure of any benefit it provides over a regular BSc. Can someone please detail the differences between the courses? Was it a good experience overall? Thanks.
2015 Subjects: Biology [42]
2016 Subjects: Maths Methods [34], Literature [36], Chemistry [37], Physics [36], RMIT Extend (Science) [5.0]

ATAR: 94.25

Floatzel98

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
Re: Bachelor of Science - Advanced (Research)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 05:48:13 pm »
Hello! Nice to see you are considering the course. I've currently just finished up my first year in the course and I have really enjoyed it so far.

The main differences in course requirements are quite minimal. You need to complete two majors or an extended major and a minor. So you lose out on some elective space because of this, but you still have the opportunity to complete elective units from other faculties. You need to complete a 3rd year research project in your final year, as well as taking the advanced version of the compulsory science communication unit. Those are the only glaring things relating to the actual structure of the course that differ compared to the regular one.

A lot of the other benefits come in the form of the things such as joining MASS Cubed, which is the advanced science student club here at Monash. There is also an advanced students common room as well. The camp at the start of first year was really good as well, I'd recommend you go if you stick with this course. There are mentoring programs set up as well. There are some other things as well. Even just the people I met and became friends was great. Something I don't think I'd experience to the same degree in the regular science degree.

That is a very general overview of the course. If you have any questions feel free to ask or PM me.
2016 - 2019: Bachelor of Science Advanced - Research (Honours) [Physics and Mathematics] @ Monash University

msxcbvc

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 10:22:46 pm »
Thanks for answering. Those camps and clubs sound really cool, I hadn't heard about them at the open day. Would you say that the lack of as many elective subjects is a pro or a con? I've heard that it's either a blessing (if you just want to focus on your area more than trying other things) or a curse (as in not getting to pursue other interests).
2015 Subjects: Biology [42]
2016 Subjects: Maths Methods [34], Literature [36], Chemistry [37], Physics [36], RMIT Extend (Science) [5.0]

ATAR: 94.25

Floatzel98

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 12:23:50 am »
Thanks for answering. Those camps and clubs sound really cool, I hadn't heard about them at the open day. Would you say that the lack of as many elective subjects is a pro or a con? I've heard that it's either a blessing (if you just want to focus on your area more than trying other things) or a curse (as in not getting to pursue other interests).
Well hopefully the camp still ends up running. It was really good.

I did forget to mention honours as well now that I think about it. Honours is, well, compulsory here, where in the BSc it is something you can opt to do after you finish your degree. Just something to keep in mind if you hadn't already.

It depends on the person I guess. If you can plan your degree out well enough you can probably get some back or spread them out over the 3 years anyway. I don't think it poses much of a problem for most people.
2016 - 2019: Bachelor of Science Advanced - Research (Honours) [Physics and Mathematics] @ Monash University

Ask Monash University

• Official Representative of Monash University
  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 05:13:25 pm »
+1
I've put this course as one of my top preferences, but I'm not sure of any benefit it provides over a regular BSc. Can someone please detail the differences between the courses? Was it a good experience overall? Thanks.

Hi msxcbvc,

Floatzel98 has covered a lot of the benefits for the Bachelor of Science Advanced - Research (Honours) degree providing a current student perspective! This advanced version of the Bachelor of Science aimed at high-achieving students that is augmented by:

-The ability to accelerate by more quickly progressing to higher-level units
-Additional flexibility in unit choices
-Enhanced opportunities for research projects
-Research mentoring by leading scientists in your chosen field
-Exclusive enrichment programs that are only available to those taking this course

The 2017 course map for this course will be available shortly. In the meantime, please refer to the 2016 course map for an illustration of how the course is structured over the 4 year program: http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2016handbooks/maps/map-s3002.pdf
Monash University ATAR Notes team. For more information about Monash and our courses visit study.monash

steven20091999

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 02:37:33 pm »
Hey, just wondering what the contact hours are like for the course?

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 02:40:16 pm »
Hey, just wondering what the contact hours are like for the course?

Exactly the same as a normal science course, which ranges depending on what subjects you pick. Usually, about 5-6 hours per subject is a good estimate. If you do more chemistry subjects, this'll be on the larger end (up to 7 hours per subject), but if you do more maths, that'll be on the smaller end (as low as 4 hours per subject). Physics and bio are usually in the middle of this.

Also, can confirm: the camp (that Floatzel mentioned) is still running this year.