Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 05:49:55 pm

Author Topic: Brute Force vs Clever Methods  (Read 1838 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Brute Force vs Clever Methods
« on: July 09, 2016, 11:29:00 pm »

This is something that popped up in the 3U Question/Answer Thread, links nicely to a discussion I had with someone at uni before my last exam.

Rui presents here what I'd call a "clever" method. This method is definitely more difficult to spot, requires a cunning eye, but would you say that it makes it easier?

Basically, I'm interested to hear some thoughts on this idea: Where is the turning point between brute force and clever workarounds?

I'd say I lean slightly towards "brute force" methods, within reason. In my opinion, the time you spend looking for shortcuts is, in some cases, better spent just executing the typical calculation.

This doesn't include of course, just immediately knowing the shortcut (as I'm sure Rui just immediately did because he is God), but actually investing effort in going, "Hmm, is there an easier way to do this?" I suppose it is really a matter of payoffs. Where do you guys think the turning point lies, how many lines of working is worth the price of expending the processing power to find a shortcut?

I actually love this debate, keen to hear what everyone thinks  :)

PS - Sorry for using your work as an example Rui  ;)
PPS - Yes I debate about Mathematical Reasoning for leisure, I'm a nerd  ;)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Brute Force vs Clever Methods
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 10:10:03 am »
Wow really Jamon :P

Observation of these shortcuts comes with practice and intuition. You don't necessarily see them the first time. It's exposure to the tricks that help you know what to do.

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 10:47:09 am »
Wow really Jamon :P

Observation of these shortcuts comes with practice and intuition. You don't necessarily see them the first time. It's exposure to the tricks that help you know what to do.

I found that I could pick up these tricks by doing billions of past papers, and looking at the solutions (not just the answer, but the way that they got there). Often, there will be nifty little tricks that you can pick up in the answers, and apply them in other, similar questions. Just smash out a billion questions and you'll realise how helpful repetition is!
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 11:01:02 am »
I found that I could pick up these tricks by doing billions of past papers, and looking at the solutions (not just the answer, but the way that they got there). Often, there will be nifty little tricks that you can pick up in the answers, and apply them in other, similar questions. Just smash out a billion questions and you'll realise how helpful repetition is!
Tis why solutions exist and why maths gets a massive emphasis on past papers compared to every other subject

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 04:39:10 pm »
Tis why solutions exist and why maths gets a massive emphasis on past papers compared to every other subject

Absolutely! Do you guys find then, with uni, that you go less with the "look for the most efficient method" approach and instead for the "get the answer" approach? Purely because the content is "newer?"

I acknowledge that at its core this conversation is really at its core pointless banter.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 04:55:29 pm »
Absolutely! Do you guys find then, with uni, that you go less with the "look for the most efficient method" approach and instead for the "get the answer" approach? Purely because the content is "newer?"

I acknowledge that at its core this conversation is really at its core pointless banter.
Haha that bold text.

I find shortcuts at uni as I...
a) Ask for help
b) Do my homework
c) Read past paper solutions
d) Realise that shortcuts I learnt in high school can be re-used/improved

As for just plain faster methods instead of the brute (e.g. t=tan(x/2) for a nasty integral) that just requires seeing ahead. (Or trying out something new but pref. do that out of the exam, not during)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 04:58:33 pm by RuiAce »

wyzard

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 12:42:25 am »
+1
Relying just on brute force method is not good idea, as mathematics will then become pretty mechanical, and tedious.

This is not what mathematics is really about. Mathematics is filled with plenty of clever tricks to work out really difficult problems, (Some of my favorites are Feynman's integral trick, using Taylor series to quickly approximate a complicated function, and Residue theorem from Complex Analysis) and understanding how these clever trick are just really smart exploitation of the same fundamental ideas.

I'd say it's a lot better to explore around possibility of working around problems, and seeing if there's any possible tricks to get around them. Even if you manage to get the answer by any means, it's good practice to ask yourself "Is there any other way of arriving here?" This really trains you to think outside the box, to look for alternatives instead of just sticking to conventional methods. This will usually prompt on a discovery quest, and you'll be surprised as there are almost always alternatives.

Of course another great way is to look at other people's clever method and include that in your own bag of tricks. This is why mathematics is so much fun, by understanding the fundamental concept and then having your own bag of tricks which you can employ to solve a myriad different problems, or who knows, maybe you'll invent a new method 8)
Graduated from high school in 2012 with atar of 99.55.

Currently doing MSc in Physics at UoM researching on Quantum Computers.

Offering group lessons for Unit 3/4 VCE Methods and Physics for 2017!

Selling awesome and in-depth study notes for Unit 3 Physics, PM me if interested! :D

Writer/Tutor at (Nerd of Passion)!
Connect with me on Facebook!