Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:24:27 pm

Author Topic: Keeping and Dropping Subjects  (Read 704 times)

_Himani_

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Keeping and Dropping Subjects
« on: March 14, 2019, 11:11:38 pm »
Hiya
I just wanted some advice on whether or not it would be wise for me to drop 4U mathematics. I currently do 12 units and dropping 4U would leave me with only 11 (which kinda scares me). My results haven't been too great in my other subjects (2/3U maths, physics and biology) sparing a couple (English and art) and at this stage I'm questioning whether doing 4U maths may be disadvantaging the amount of time and care I (can) put into these subjects- especially in 3U maths as I often find myself spending way too much time on 4U and very little to none on 3U (reflected in my marks and ranks).  I cannot say that I do not enjoy 4U maths but in terms of results, I'm not sure if I am (or will be able to) achieving high enough marks.show an in-depth understanding of the concepts to ensure that it will have a positive impact on my overall ATAR. Is it too early to make that judgement?  I want to make this decision before this term (or ASAP) is over so that I don't waste my time (if I do drop) and stress so much.
I really don't want to feel as though I just gave up or regret the decision later. If i were to drop, do I still have enough time to redeem my other subjects? Or would it be better to just stick it out in case I don't perform too well in one of my other subjects?
Wow, I am so confused. Do you have any general advice?
Thank you so much.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Keeping and Dropping Subjects
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 12:06:42 am »
+5
Hey Himani! I'm sure there'll be a tonne of advice from a tonne of people here, but I think the most important question you should ask yourself is:

If you weren't getting results this year, and this was purely about obtaining skills you want for your future and learning about things you enjoy, would you keep MX2 or drop it?

Your answer to that, in my opinion, should weight heavily towards what you do ;D also:

- MX2 knowledge is fairly useless at the tertiary level in almost all disciplines, though dealing with that level of mathematics early on will make it easier to adjust to the university level stuff
- It is very early on in the game. Definitely time to improve your MX2 marks, and your MX1 marks, or whatever you want to improve. It isn't too late for anything ;D
- 11 units still leaves you a nice buffer against any unexpected issues late in the year :)
- You should never keep/drop subjects on results alone, you have to want to be there! But all the same, anything that is seriously impacting your wellbeing and performance overall is probably something you might want to drop - I guess it's just down to how much you think MX2 is impacting you OUTSIDE the subject itself! :)