Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:51:58 pm

Author Topic: VCE Subject Selection !  (Read 2584 times)

bobrossfan

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
VCE Subject Selection !
« on: July 04, 2020, 08:28:58 pm »
Hey,

We have to pick our subjects for next year pretty soon so I was just wondering if I could get some opinions and advice on my subject choices. Here is what I'm thinking for next year:

- English Language
- Methods 3/4
- Chem
- Physics
- Further 3/4
- ????

I'm 100% sure about the first 4 on that list, it's just the last 2 that I'm not sure about. I want to do 6 subjects, and the idea of doing 2 3/4's in year 11, and having only 4 in year 12 sounds pretty appealing to me. However, in year 9 I only chose to do 1 1/2 subject in year 10 (methods), so, I'd have to do a subject that I can skip the 1/2 for, and I thought to do further 3/4 (if my school lets me to). My reasoning for this is that I really enjoy maths, I think it's one of my strengths, and I've been told that further's workload isn't ridiculous, which should hopefully make catching up on the 1/2 content easier, and make it so that I won't have to neglect my 1/2's in year 11 to do well in the 3/4's.

The other issue is my sixth subject (that I definitely want to do). The main two that I'm weighing up between are general English and spec. With English, I enjoy most of it, and do pretty well for the most part, but I HATE narratives and orals, and the slight scaling down doesn't really help. I reckon that having 2 English subjects could be an asset though considering 1 has to be in my top 4, so English looks like a decent option. For spec, I like the look of it again because of how much I enjoy maths and the fact that I think it's a strength of mine. I won't lie, the scaling sounds nice too, and if I only do 3 other subjects that are all non-maths in year 12 as I plan, it's workload shouldn't be an issue either. However, there's the disadvantage of having 3 maths subjects with 1 needing to be my 5th or 6th, and the thought of being up against all the other maths students who are willing to take on spec kinda scares me. Also, the bigger potential of not being able to wrap my head around spec's concepts in comparison to other "easier" subjects also makes me doubt choosing it.

There are some other options too, like french which I'm doing at the moment. The issues there is that I'm a bang average student in french, not too motivated to put in the extra work that's needed for a LOTE, and then I get extra stressed because of those 2 things. One of my teachers also threw economics into the mix as a 3/4 that I could do in year 11 instead of further. I don't really have a good idea of the stuff I'd do in economics, but from the taster we had of it in year 10 commerce, I seem to be decent at it, but it doesn't necessarily interest me, nor is it a topic I dislike. Doing this would also make spec more appealing as well, just because I'd have 2 maths subjects rather than 3. Economics sounds like a bit of a risk to me at the moment though, especially when there's something like further that I'm pretty sure I can do well in.

That's all. I've still got a decent while before I have to make any decisions, but if I could get a couple thoughts on doing 2 3/4's in year 11, choosing my 6th subject and anything else, that would be amazing.

Thanks heaps :)
2021: methods, pe
2022: english, chem, physics, spesh

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
Re: VCE Subject Selection !
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 08:55:32 pm »
+5
- English Language
- Methods 3/4
- Chem
- Physics
- Further 3/4
- ????

I'm 100% sure about the first 4 on that list, it's just the last 2 that I'm not sure about. I want to do 6 subjects, and the idea of doing 2 3/4's in year 11, and having only 4 in year 12 sounds pretty appealing to me. However, in year 9 I only chose to do 1 1/2 subject in year 10 (methods), so, I'd have to do a subject that I can skip the 1/2 for, and I thought to do further 3/4 (if my school lets me to). My reasoning for this is that I really enjoy maths, I think it's one of my strengths, and I've been told that further's workload isn't ridiculous, which should hopefully make catching up on the 1/2 content easier, and make it so that I won't have to neglect my 1/2's in year 11 to do well in the 3/4's.
Hello bobrossfan! :)

I like the idea of your first four subjects, and they are very similar to my first subject choices (I originally did physics and changed to further 3/4). Further 3/4 is one of the more chill 3/4's (imo) and is very feasible to undertake without the 1/2. I am doing both further and methods 3/4 in year 11 and I think if you are strong at maths (I am guessing you are due to accelerating methods) it is quite easy and very fun!

The other issue is my sixth subject (that I definitely want to do). The main two that I'm weighing up between are general English and spec. With English, I enjoy most of it, and do pretty well for the most part, but I HATE narratives and orals, and the slight scaling down doesn't really help. I reckon that having 2 English subjects could be an asset though considering 1 has to be in my top 4, so English looks like a decent option. For spec, I like the look of it again because of how much I enjoy maths and the fact that I think it's a strength of mine. I won't lie, the scaling sounds nice too, and if I only do 3 other subjects that are all non-maths in year 12 as I plan, it's workload shouldn't be an issue either. However, there's the disadvantage of having 3 maths subjects with 1 needing to be my 5th or 6th, and the thought of being up against all the other maths students who are willing to take on spec kinda scares me. Also, the bigger potential of not being able to wrap my head around spec's concepts in comparison to other "easier" subjects also makes me doubt choosing it.
Doing a 6th subject is a very good option imo, as it gives you another 10% increment and you can fall back on it incase you do badly in a subject.

Out of spesh and English in your situation, I would recommend doing English as it would give you some breadth and help you in the long hall. Doing 3 maths is very heavy workload and 1 of them would have to be in your bottom two. You seem to enjoy most of normal english (narratives and orals are only a small part and are not examined on the exam). Spesh is very hard and requires a lot of time to wrap your head around concepts.

There are some other options too, like french which I'm doing at the moment. The issues there is that I'm a bang average student in french, not too motivated to put in the extra work that's needed for a LOTE, and then I get extra stressed because of those 2 things. One of my teachers also threw economics into the mix as a 3/4 that I could do in year 11 instead of further. I don't really have a good idea of the stuff I'd do in economics, but from the taster we had of it in year 10 commerce, I seem to be decent at it, but it doesn't necessarily interest me, nor is it a topic I dislike. Doing this would also make spec more appealing as well, just because I'd have 2 maths subjects rather than 3. Economics sounds like a bit of a risk to me at the moment though, especially when there's something like further that I'm pretty sure I can do well in.
With these subjects and any subjects, you need to be passionate about it to really succeed. Maybe look at the study design or other resources to see what economics entails.

If you have any other questions, especially about Methods 3/4, Further 3/4, Chem 1/2 or Eng Lang 1/2, feel free to ask :)!
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

bobrossfan

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 09:25:55 pm »
Hello bobrossfan! :)

If you have any other questions, especially about Methods 3/4, Further 3/4, Chem 1/2 or Eng Lang 1/2, feel free to ask :)!

Thanks so much! I don't have any questions at the moment, but if and when any pop up I'll make sure to ask :) Thanks again

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 04:28:35 pm »
+5
May I ask what you’re hoping to study (if at all) after VCE? There might be some subjects relevant towards your desired career path (or even necessary as a prerequisite, although you seem to have that covered) that may make your subject choices a bit easier.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

bobrossfan

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 09:14:26 pm »
May I ask what you’re hoping to study (if at all) after VCE? There might be some subjects relevant towards your desired career path (or even necessary as a prerequisite, although you seem to have that covered) that may make your subject choices a bit easier.

At the moment I don't have much of a clue to be honest. I haven't looked into anything in depth, just because nothing specifically has stuck out to me as really interesting. From the little knowledge I have though, being a lawyer sounds cool, so would legal studies maybe be a good idea then? I know that it isn't really a prerequisite, but would it help much if I wanted to get into that field? I love soccer as well, so if there's anything that could link into soccer that'd be cool.

And yeah with my subjects I've been told to just make sure that the ones I choose keep my options open when it comes to picking courses at uni :)

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 10:37:58 pm »
+2
At the moment I don't have much of a clue to be honest. I haven't looked into anything in depth, just because nothing specifically has stuck out to me as really interesting. From the little knowledge I have though, being a lawyer sounds cool, so would legal studies maybe be a good idea then? I know that it isn't really a prerequisite, but would it help much if I wanted to get into that field? I love soccer as well, so if there's anything that could link into soccer that'd be cool.

And yeah with my subjects I've been told to just make sure that the ones I choose keep my options open when it comes to picking courses at uni :)
For law (and subsequently become a lawyer), Legal Studies would be helpful for the foundations but not an absolute necessity.

Related to soccer, I’d probably suggest something like Physical Education or Health and Human Development (HHD). 

Having a look at their study designs might help to make your decision and get more unbiased information, as suggested by other ANers above.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

bobrossfan

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 10:40:23 am »
For law (and subsequently become a lawyer), Legal Studies would be helpful for the foundations but not an absolute necessity.

Related to soccer, I’d probably suggest something like Physical Education or Health and Human Development (HHD). 

Having a look at their study designs might help to make your decision and get more unbiased information, as suggested by other ANers above.

Okey dokey I'll have a look now. Thanks for the help :)