Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:10:39 pm

Author Topic: If you are thinking of plagiarising...  (Read 2309 times)

jhaccount_

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
If you are thinking of plagiarising...
« on: July 20, 2017, 09:54:55 pm »
The concept of words is fascinating. How a random combination of 26 symbols happen to create a sound which can have such an effect on us. Love. Just one word, one syllable, four letters long. So small, yet so big in its impact. The same notion applies with words like ‘hate’, ‘year’ and ‘death’. It seems unfair to limit these words to fewer than five letters. In all honesty, the word cancer didn’t scare me very much. It was the other one, “I’m afraid your condition is …”

The doctor begins before being interrupted by the sight of my mother’s hands, glistening with the copious amounts of hand sanitiser that she continued to pump from the container. My mother gives me a faint smile. “I’m afraid your condition is ... terminal.”

“What?”

With my mother in such disbelieve she didn’t even hear the doctors high pitched voice.

“Do you have your Medicare card?”
“Oh, yes …”

My mother, rummaging through her purse, simultaneously grabbing a bunch of pamphlets from the counter. “What not to say to a cancer patient,” “How to deal with death,” “Cancer: what does this mean for you?” Looking down at me, she finds me quietly sucking on a large purple lollipop. She probably thought one of the nurses must have given it to her.

“How long do I have left?” This question was the only thing left unanswered.

Numbers are pretty interesting as well. Not at interesting as words but they do have their moments. I simply adored French words. Not only do they just sound more attractive than English ones, but they tend to be more expressive as well.

“SD CARD FULL”

A camera full of digital memories. Looking at the pictures, people would assume nothing was wrong. I did all the normal touristy stuff with my family. Eat crepes, visit the Eiffel Tower and watch a whole lot of British TV since BBC is the only English speaking channel in the whole hotel. It seems like such a small thing, but realising that this is the only English speaking channel depresses me. More than the chemo, more than the constant doctors visits and more than the pamphlets my mother receives.

Notre Dame. Staring up at the beautiful mosaics and paintings, while drenched in a sea of multi-coloured light gives me a sense of calm I haven’t felt in a long time. While at the cathedral, the word God, unsurprisingly comes to mind. God. That’s another big one limited to 3 letters. I’m not a very religious person. I guess I would call myself an atheist? I would be lying if I said that the discovery of my limited time on this earth has not lead me to question whether I will receive unlimited time in another life. Its funny looking back on this trip, and realising that all of it, all this happiness and joy, is because I have cancer. We had no plans to go to Paris before I was diagnosed. Even though the words juxtapose, but dying has made me feel more alive.

Realisation. The act of becoming fully aware of something. When I wake up to the morning of December 14th 2016, I realise that it will be my last day on earth. I pretend that everything is normal, however, a few minutes before I know it will all end. So many unchecked boxes. So many wasted opportunities. So many things that I will never have the chance to experience.  I have nothing to say to my future self. But I have so much to say to my past.

Life. 4 letters, none repeated. According to the dictionary, there are 28 definitions, 25 nouns and 3 adjectives. But none of that matters. Life can only be defined by the living and even without the cancer, I have been dead for so long.

I wish I had discovered that sooner.

this is my creative writing based on discovery, hoping to get any feedback possible thanks

TheFreeMarketeer

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +9
Re: If you are thinking of plagiarising...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 10:29:51 pm »
+11
The concept of words is fascinating. How a random combination of 26 symbols happen to create a sound which can have such an effect on us. Love. Just one word, one syllable, four letters long. So small, yet so big in its impact. The same notion applies with words like ‘hate’, ‘year’ and ‘death’. It seems unfair to limit these words to fewer than five letters. In all honesty, the word cancer didn’t scare me very much. It was the other one, “I’m afraid your condition is …”

The doctor begins before being interrupted by the sight of my mother’s hands, glistening with the copious amounts of hand sanitiser that she continued to pump from the container. My mother gives me a faint smile. “I’m afraid your condition is ... terminal.”

“What?”

With my mother in such disbelieve she didn’t even hear the doctors high pitched voice.

“Oh, yes …”

My mother, rummaging through her purse, simultaneously grabbing a bunch of pamphlets from the counter. “What not to say to a cancer patient,” “How to deal with death,” “Cancer: what does this mean for you?” Looking down at me, she finds me quietly sucking on a large purple lollipop. She probably thought one of the nurses must have given it to her.

Numbers are pretty interesting as well. Not at interesting as words but they do have their moments. I simply adored French words. Not only do they just sound more attractive than English ones, but they tend to be more expressive as well.

“SD CARD FULL”

A camera full of digital memories. Looking at the pictures, people would assume nothing was wrong. I did all the normal touristy stuff with my family. Eat crepes, visit the Eiffel Tower and watch a whole lot of British TV since BBC is the only English speaking channel in the whole hotel. It seems like such a small thing, but realising that this is the only English speaking channel depresses me. More than the chemo, more than the constant doctors visits and more than the pamphlets my mother receives.

Notre Dame. Staring up at the beautiful mosaics and paintings, while drenched in a sea of multi-coloured light gives me a sense of calm I haven’t felt in a long time. While at the cathedral, the word God, unsurprisingly comes to mind. God. That’s another big one limited to 3 letters. I’m not a very religious person. I guess I would call myself an atheist? I would be lying if I said that the discovery of my limited time on this earth has not lead me to question whether I will receive unlimited time in another life. Its funny looking back on this trip, and realising that all of it, all this happiness and joy, is because I have cancer. We had no plans to go to Paris before I was diagnosed. Even though the words juxtapose, but dying has made me feel more alive.

Realisation. The act of becoming fully aware of something. When I wake up to the morning of December 14th 2016, I realise that it will be my last day on earth. I pretend that everything is normal, however, a few minutes before I know it will all end. So many unchecked boxes. So many wasted opportunities. So many things that I will never have the chance to experience.  I have nothing to say to my future self. But I have so much to say to my past.

Life. 4 letters, none repeated. According to the dictionary, there are 28 definitions, 25 nouns and 3 adjectives. But none of that matters. Life can only be defined by the living and even without the cancer, I have been dead for so long.

this is my creative writing based on discovery, hoping to get any feedback possible thanks

Dude. I'm pretty sure I've read this before. This is a short story called 'Terminal' and unless you're the original composer, you're going to find yourself in a great deal of trouble if you wish to persist with this.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 11:29:34 pm »
+9

“What?”

“Oh, yes …”

“SD CARD FULL”

WOW, sudodds, this story looks really really familiar! You should give it a read, do you like it?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 11:30:21 pm »
+6
Dude. I'm pretty sure I've read this before. This is a short story called 'Terminal' and unless you're the original composer, you're going to find yourself in a great deal of trouble if you wish to persist with this.
Curious. Where did you see it from?

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 11:36:00 pm »
+11
WOW, sudodds, this story looks really really familiar! You should give it a read, do you like it?
hmm it's okay I guess :P I mean, if I were to write it, I'd probably have taken it in a different direction - but solid effort.
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 11:36:08 pm »
+8
when study gets dramatic
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 11:39:02 pm »
+6
^^^

You should consider something in film. Maybe a Bachelor of Communications @ UTS
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 11:39:56 pm »
+4
^^^

You should consider something in film. Maybe a Bachelor of Communications @ UTS
Your ideas are gold. Can you please teach me where and how you get these ideas?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 11:50:53 pm »
+15
Alright, so jokes aside, jhaccount_, you've submitted a plagiarised creative. We know that because it is the creative of sudodds, one of our moderators.

1 - If you got caught doing this in the exam or a task, you'd lose your HSC. No ATAR, nothing for your two years hard work. All gone for a silly decision.
2 - What benefit would you gain getting feedback on a plagiarised creative? Like, you've changed one sentence, do you want us to critique that one changed sentence?

I get that the HSC is stressful, and I know you probably are just struggling to get through the year and felt compelled to take a shortcut. But I worked hard for my marks, most students do, so it is really annoying to see someone try and get a free ride. It's a pet peeve.

I'll be banning your account - We can't risk having an account linked to plagiarism keeping access to our Notes and essays. Enjoy your weekend! :)