Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:44:33 pm

Author Topic: ATAR Notes English Paper 1 - Trial Exam!  (Read 24973 times)

georgiia

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: ATAR Notes English Paper 1 - Trial Exam!
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2017, 11:04:05 pm »
Just one small note, the 6 marker you wrote too much like 2 pages which would translate to like 3-4 pages in the actual exam. In the actual exam you'd probably only need to write 2 pages due to time limitations.
Thanks, I allowed myself an 50 minutes just because I haven't had much practice so I'm going to keep doing more till I can get my time down to 30mins so I have more time for the creative

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2017, 05:04:30 pm »
+4
For text 1:  would we say "presents aren't promises" and "kisses aren't contracts" are antithetical statements that emphasise the betrayal, with the accumulation (listing almost) of lessons highlighting the extent of the impact of the discoveries?

Technically, Presents and Promises are antitheses, but when you pair them in such a way it makes sense because of the negation to recognise it as an antithetical pairing. So, I think it would be appropriate to call it that!
Im not at all sure if I meet the post requirements for this or not but Ill upload my response anyway for others but just warning anyone that i have no clue if what Ive done is good/right so be aware!!

Also I found it really beneficial doing the paper and then going on here and reading what others thought/ did similarly or differently.
So much better than when I attempt to do past trials/hsc short answers on my own and get no where because I lose confidence halfway usually because theres nowhere I can go to after for questions + help. It'd be so good if there were more, or even if everyone posted different paper 1  trials and then posted their thoughts on them.

Thanks!

Really glad to hear this! We will definitely do this again in the lead up to HSC, so I'm really glad you find this to be a better approach than doing it all on your own! I personally didn't have the discipline to do this on my own during the HSC, so I think I would've liked this kind of thing too :)

Im currently using the 2016 question
lets see how that goes ahah

There's no "typical AOS question" for discovery at the moment just because it's so new to testing, there's not a lot of practice papers floating around, and so it is tricky. But I suppose the beauty of this is that you are forced to look to other parts of the syllabus and prepare for what they haven't yet asked, when you're finished with the existing questions!
this juts increased my stress levels by 1000 but thanks guys now i can somewhat be prepared for 2 just in case
Just to throw something else out there. I can't find anywhere in the syllabus that says it is best practice for students to know two related texts. In fact, it has not been asked in over 10 years for two related texts, so I can hardly see that being a trend worth fighting for. Obviously, they could bring things up out of the blue and strike the entire state with madness and panic. BUT, I didn't study two related texts for Discovery, I just went in with the confidence that if they asked for two, I would use one from the unseen texts after I had begun analysing it for section one - so my work was done!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2017, 05:05:21 pm »
+4
And also, thanks to everyone who piped in to help each other on this thread. I love seeing peers helping peer! If anyone has any outstanding questions, please ask and I'll do my best to help! I just went through and think I covered anything but if I missed anything please let me know :)

marioedd

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2017, 05:04:16 pm »
Can someone please mark this.
Thanks

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2017, 04:23:08 pm »
Can someone please mark this.
Thanks

Hey marioedd! From a quick skim - I have a suggestion about the way you use textual evidence. So in question three's response, you talk about the social hot spots. Don't be afraid to link these to a technique, even if it isn't one of the big ones like "metaphors" or "similes." But simply, listing, is a technique used here! So every time you quote, pair it with a technique in order to strengthen your analysis.

I really like the way you've written a sort of thesis statement for each response, that works in your favour. I can see it helps you stay on track but it also shows your grasp on the discovery aspect, but also it shows the marker that you fully grip discovery!

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2017, 11:14:03 pm »
+1
Hey guys! I know it's not trial period obviously lol. But still used the paper as a resourceful one to practice from!
Short answers --> Mmm, the questions were good! I liked them, they were straight forward but kinda ehhh, cause they were quite specific in what areas we had to focus on.
Creative --> Fitted perfectly, didn't need to change much. Complications of the discovery was when protagonist discovered grandfather that passed away, resulted in a change of how he saw the piano (before he hated it. then after death, he loved it) ... very brief overview lol.
Essay --> was really goood gooodd for only one of my paragraphs in Life of Pi. But had to shape it a lot to mould it to the ones that were a bit shaky. I think I didn't do a good job at it though... So I wrote something about how like discoveries are similar if they revolve around the same theme, but its ramifications vary depending on an individual's values at that time. However at most time, a discovery or rediscovery can also lead to a similar ramificaiton. ( life of pi did it through different emotional ramifications over the discovery of food at multiple stages in the film and related, was that it only encompassed a momment within a rediscovery which evoked emotional ramifications that were similiar - despair, anger and frustration) .... kinda shakkkyyyyyy :(
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2017, 07:08:58 pm »
+2
is there any way we can have another practice paper like this 😭 its so hard to find good aos practice exams ( I found a few and did them all). I loved the AN paper, CAN WE PLEASEEE HAVE ANOTHER PAPER LIKE THIS or is it too late ...
ATAR Goal 90

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2017, 01:15:09 pm »
is there a new one coming?

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2017, 02:51:24 pm »
is there a new one coming?
Jamon said theyre trying to get a new one up before the end of the week (I'm desperately waiting for it lol)
ATAR Goal 90

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2017, 02:53:37 pm »
+2
I'm working on it right at this moment. Sorry for the delay, I really am, but I want it to be a useful paper and I'm not happy with how the questions are written, I don't think they give enough for a student to talk about (this is my bad, I created the question poorly!). I'll do my best to pump it out tonight!

I'll be back online at 7pm tonight and will work on it then. So expect it for the weekend!

Apologies for the delay, but I'm so glad you liked the trial one!

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2017, 04:48:56 pm »
+1
YAYAYAYAY THANKS ELYSE AND AN CREW

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2017, 06:19:37 pm »
Hey, guys,
Have the creative writing threads been locked? Or is it just on my side because I can't post a reply to Elyse's comment?

(I think I'm just going to hope creative discoveries is linked to intellectual, and how his experimentation was an act of creativity (pls pls nesa don't make it creative or rediscoveries, Ramifications, or relation to place because I don't know what to do for that one either))

Really hope it's something like "worth can be reassessed over time" or "confronting and provocative"

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2017, 08:05:48 pm »
Hey, guys,
Have the creative writing threads been locked? Or is it just on my side because I can't post a reply to Elyse's comment?

(I think I'm just going to hope creative discoveries is linked to intellectual, and how his experimentation was an act of creativity (pls pls nesa don't make it creative or rediscoveries, Ramifications, or relation to place because I don't know what to do for that one either))

Really hope it's something like "worth can be reassessed over time" or "confronting and provocative"

yep that's right the threads are locked :)

ATAR Goal 90

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2017, 10:11:41 pm »
+3
Hey, guys,

Your protagonist could rediscover their humanity, their love for their wife, and their purpose ;) You've got that covered! And relation to place comes down to the person at the very end of your creative, and how the place and privilege of the protagonist was a lethal combination, but luckily avoided, so places everywhere were saved ;) You've got it! ;)

The practice paper has been completed and created, Jamon is just reformatting it now and it'll be up soon! I hope you enjoy the unseen texts, I like the ones in this upcoming practice paper! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2017, 10:44:25 pm »
+3