Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 10:03:02 pm

Author Topic: How to Write an Area of Study Essay  (Read 90492 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: How to Write an Area of Study Essay
« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2017, 04:58:30 pm »
+2
Hi,
I am seriously struggling to come up with some strong ideas for this essay question:
“As well as enlightening, discoveries can be confronting.”

I seem to be circling around the same idea in which an unexpected discovery has the ability to alter and craft a reviewed psychological and spiritual revelation of self purpose.
My prescribed is Life of Pi and related is Ozymandias by PBS.
Any help is appreciated
:) Emily

I really like the idea you are tossing around!! I'd try and simplify it a tad though - At its core, you are saying that unexpected discoveries can significantly change an individuals sense of self. And that is a really cool concept!! Keeping it simple to start is almost always the way to go. Some things you could explore in more depth to form your paragraphs:

- The positive vs negative ramifications of unexpected discoveries
- The role of the individual in unexpected discovery, do they embrace it or do they resist it?
- Any barriers that must be overcome to truly benefit from unexpected discoveries
- Unexpected vs expected discoveries - Which causes the greater revelation? Why?

I'd be basing my arguments around the fact that is it the unexpected discoveries that are the most confronting, but that being confronting is what makes them so powerful ;D

epherbertson

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #166 on: April 28, 2017, 02:15:25 pm »
I really like the idea you are tossing around!! I'd try and simplify it a tad though - At its core, you are saying that unexpected discoveries can significantly change an individuals sense of self. And that is a really cool concept!! Keeping it simple to start is almost always the way to go. Some things you could explore in more depth to form your paragraphs:

- The positive vs negative ramifications of unexpected discoveries
- The role of the individual in unexpected discovery, do they embrace it or do they resist it?
- Any barriers that must be overcome to truly benefit from unexpected discoveries
- Unexpected vs expected discoveries - Which causes the greater revelation? Why?

I'd be basing my arguments around the fact that is it the unexpected discoveries that are the most confronting, but that being confronting is what makes them so powerful ;D

Thank you so much. This really helped!!!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:59:41 pm by jamonwindeyer »

Mockingjay

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2017, 12:41:22 pm »
+1
THANK YOU HEAPS!!! Really Helpful

epherbertson

• Trailblazer
« Reply #168 on: April 30, 2017, 10:01:54 pm »
Hi,

Just wondering if you guys had any guidelines towards how many ideas that should be included in an AOS essay in order to be in the high band 6 range. Just struggling a bit to determine whether I have done enough with my essay.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #169 on: April 30, 2017, 11:08:36 pm »
+2
Hi,

Just wondering if you guys had any guidelines towards how many ideas that should be included in an AOS essay in order to be in the high band 6 range. Just struggling a bit to determine whether I have done enough with my essay.

Hey epherbertson!! So there really are multiple paths to your destination in this scenario. One conceptual idea, really picked apart and delved into properly, can easily get 15/15. Equally, a group of ideas explored cleverly and related logically can also easily get 15/15. There's no magic formula of how the detail gets there, as long as it is there ;D

Personally, I always chose to look at one group of conceptual ideas - I did Belonging, so I'd do like, 'barriers to belonging,' for example. In each paragraph I'd take an aspect of that concept and break it down, show how it is shown in the texts - Usually with three paragraphs. But each to their own, I've seen Band 6 essays doing all sorts of different things conceptually ;D would love for others to chime in with what they've found works well for them :)

epherbertson

• Trailblazer
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2017, 09:22:42 pm »
Thank you that helps a lot

yattmoani

• Adventurer
« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2017, 09:40:37 pm »
Hey!

Is it possible to ask for feedback on just my discovery introduction? If not, what are some concepts that could be used if the question is:

"Discoveries offer new understandings of ourselves and the world.’
Is this your view? Discuss this statement through an analysis of your core text and the given extract."

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2017, 11:19:02 pm »
+2
Hey!

Is it possible to ask for feedback on just my discovery introduction? If not, what are some concepts that could be used if the question is:

"Discoveries offer new understandings of ourselves and the world.’
Is this your view? Discuss this statement through an analysis of your core text and the given extract."

Hey there! We can definitely give feedback on just the introduction if you'd like :)

That question is quite broad, but I suppose it naturally focuses on the result of discovery moreso than the process. Although you could still definitely draw on the process! Feel free to show your intro :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

yattmoani

• Adventurer
« Reply #173 on: June 24, 2017, 09:36:57 pm »
Oh okay thanks! Here's my introduction:

‘Discoveries offer new understandings of ourselves and the world.’
Is this your view? Discuss this statement through an analysis of your core text and the given extract.

The term ‘Discovery’ focuses on more than the simple uncovering of an old memory, but rather illustrating a multilayered expression that serves as a catalyst for new understandings of the world and more importantly, ourselves. The depth of personal discovery can be glimpsed through Ingmar Bergman’s The Magic Lantern, with the use of a reminiscent voice expressing the ability for new understandings of the world to surface. Rosemary Dobson’s poems, “Wonder” and “Painter of Antwerp” focuses on the accumulation of new experiences, which resulted from the natural wonder of humans. Within both poems lies the subtle references to paintings, expressing the importance of the past in the understanding of the present world. The discoveries within all three texts allow for new understandings of the world to occur.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #174 on: June 26, 2017, 02:05:57 am »
+2
Oh okay thanks! Here's my introduction:

No worries! Here's my thoughts:

‘Discoveries offer new understandings of ourselves and the world.’
Is this your view? Discuss this statement through an analysis of your core text and the given extract.

The term ‘Discovery’ focuses on more than the simple uncovering of an old memory, but rather illustrating a multilayered expression that serves as a catalyst for new understandings of the world and more importantly, ourselves. The part that stands out to me here is "more importantly, ourselves." This is important because you've identified a main part of your unique take on the question by saying that the new understanding of ourselves is most important. Whether or not you intended to - this is what will differentiate your essay if you follow it through. The depth of personal discovery can be glimpsed through Ingmar Bergman’s The Magic Lantern, with the use of a reminiscent voice expressing the ability for new understandings of the world to surface. Rosemary Dobson’s poems, “Wonder” and “Painter of Antwerp” focuses on the accumulation of new experiences, which resulted from the natural wonder of humans. Within both poems lies the subtle references to paintings, expressing the importance of the past in the understanding of the present world. The discoveries within all three texts allow for new understandings of the world to occur. What I like about your introduction, and I did it in my own, is the way you've given each text a sentence of their own to talk a little bit about the discovery they uniquely offer, rather than just listing a bunch of things from the rubric and sticking the texts on the end. I think you're definitely on the right track here!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

bennyboyyyy

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #175 on: June 27, 2017, 02:30:52 pm »
+1
A very interesting read!

Evil.Morty

• Adventurer
« Reply #176 on: October 11, 2017, 05:55:21 am »
If for example I come in with a pre-prepared essay, what ways should I prepare to adapt to the question?

av-angie-er

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2017, 09:31:54 pm »
+3
If for example I come in with a pre-prepared essay, what ways should I prepare to adapt to the question?
Hey! I think trying to find as many practice questions as you can and trying to adapt your prepared essay to these questions would be a really appropriate way to go about it, cause it's essentially 'adaptation' training. Maybe not necessarily adapting to practice questions under timed conditions, but simply writing essay plans and topic sentences to fit the question, and dotpointing the evidence that you've prepare underneath it to see if you can make it fit. It'd also be safer to not memorise the essay word-for-word to make room for addressing the question appropriately - instead maybe you can focus on 'ideas' rather than exact techniques, like memorising TEPs in groups based on the rubric aspects. Make sure you especially challenge yourself by trying to address questions that could really screw you over in the exam, like trying to adapt your essay to a tricky/rare questions - e.g. asking about the influence of historical/social context on discovery or the ramifications for the wider society. I hope this makes sense and good luck! :)
HSC 2017: Advanced English | Mathematics | Biology | Society and Culture | Modern History | History Extension

alisoneom

• Trailblazer
  • I set Lisa as my dp to appear a lot smarter
« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2018, 11:47:27 pm »
Awesome! Okay, so there are a number of ways to look at this. For me, I looked at discovery in stages.

First stage: the environment that lead to the discovery.
Second stage: The plot/actions that lead to the discovery
Last stage: How the discovery impacted the individual.

Hey Elyse! My apologies if I'm bumping up an old thread but in terms of these stages of discovery, would I need to discuss all three of these in my thesis / essay or simply one to two? I definitely find it much more manageable (in terms of sticking to the question) to discuss one or two, but I'm slightly worried that this means I'm not fully answering the question - let me know! :D
HSC 2018:
English Advanced | Mathematics | Mathematics Extension 1 | Chemistry | Studies of Religion 1 | Music 2 | Music Extension

ATAR Goal: 98+

Dream Course:
- B Science / B Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars including Mathematical Sciences) @ USYD
- B Pharmacy and Management @ USYD

moq418

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #179 on: July 15, 2018, 03:15:24 pm »
View Profile Personal Message (Online)

Re: Thesis statement feedback and discussion thread
« Reply #336 on: 2 minutes ago »
QuoteModifyRemove0 Show voters
For the discovery essay I am doing motorcycle diaries and my related text felks skrzynecki (poem) by Peter Skrzyneck. should i use that for my related text or choose another. please tell me ASAP  becuase im currently preparing my essay for paper 1 trail exam. Also how do i write a thesis for example this question: The process of discovery involves uncovering what is hidden and reconsidering what is known. How is this perspective on discovery explored in your prescribed text and ONE other related text of your own choosing?
can i start off by saying: Discovery is defined as... or The process of discovery is...

Thanks everyone.