Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:52:01 pm

Author Topic: English Language??  (Read 2567 times)  Share 

Redden380_

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
English Language??
« on: June 16, 2021, 07:55:59 pm »
Hello all, I am currently in year 10 and I have been looking at starting unit 1/2 of English Language next year. I was looking for some general advice on how exactly I could approach studying English Language in the future since I've heard various conflicting messages about it. Aside from that, if anyone had any tips on what I could do now so that I'm thoroughly equipped with the skills required for doing English Language, that would be great. Thanks  :D

ConFinCMC

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +22
Re: English Language??
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 08:24:59 pm »
+2
Hello, Redden.
Personally, I believe it depends on a few factors on whether you want to do this subject.
For one is your willingness to commit to the subject. There is a lot to learn over the span of two years, especially considering that Units 1/2 and 3/4 don't have much to do with each other (Yep, thanks VCAA, very helpful there). If you know any students who are taking or have taken this subject from your school, ask how they feel.

Two is your writing ability. Essays in EL work a lot differently compared to Normie English. There are normal essays, but some SACs can be in the form of narrative reports, analytical commentary, short answer questions, or praying to whatever God you think will help you get at least a 25.

If I were you, and were thinking seriously about doing English Language, I'd probably start learning metalanguage (stg, you will learn to hate this word and its contents for decades to come). I would also get tips from any English Language teachers on possible work you could do in order to prepare for next year. Unit 1/2 talks about the science and history behind speech and language, which is pretty interesting, but Unit 3/4 just turns into a chaotic mess of metalanguage, essays, incredibly important notes, and many tear-soaked tissues on your desk.

I know I seem very critical of it, but usually it's those, like me, who choose English Language as an easy way out of doing Normie English. You have to be mentally and psychologically prepared for every little task that you are given for homework, revision, study and coursework otherwise, the result will look similar to mine.
But by all means, seek alternative opinions, and best of luck whichever pathway you take. 
2020- 53.35

English Lang. <20
History: Revolutions. <20
French: 27
Biology: 28
Drama: 24

"Well, it doesn't define who I am, but it does a bloody good job at crushing my spirit and self-esteem"

2021- Gap Year, working in Bright at the snowfields (guys, this is so much fun)

2022- Fed University, Fast Access Program Diploma

If anyone wants advice on what NOT to do, feel free to send me a message.

mabajas76

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
Re: English Language??
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 10:16:16 pm »
Don't underestimate is difficulty, it is pretty hard to do well in, u need to be in to like  top 300 students to get above 40 for example. The 3/4 exam will usually consist of short answer questions on meta language and linguistic features, which is something u have to learn, writing an analytical commentary, which is again a new skill to learn and writing an essay, but it will involve the metalanguage and other features u have learned throughout the year. So it is a kinda difficult subject but honestly I am really enjoying it. The meta language is quite dry but it is easy to learn I guess, make/find a quizlet or something and just use that and you will be fine. Writing an AC takes some getting used to, but after awhile and many practice pieces you learn the general gist. It is personally pretty fun but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, have a look at who the teacher is and maybe some past exams and study design.
To prepare, the vocab for all 4 units is on the vcaa study design for Eng Lan, learning that is practically all u do for a term in unit 1. Maybe taking a peak at how to write AC's will be useful as well but dont stress too much. You r only in year 10 and if u practice enough over the next 2 years, these things will come to you.
"Don't give up, and don't put too much effort into things that don't matter"-Albert Einstein, probably.