Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:10:03 am

Author Topic: Do I really need to do a Science subject?  (Read 5596 times)  Share 

HappyMe

• Adventurer
  • Everything happens for a reason
  • Respect: 0
Do I really need to do a Science subject?
« on: May 23, 2021, 06:37:38 pm »
Hey everyone,
I'm in Year 10 this year and wanted some advice for subject selection next year. I want to go into the Psychology field in the future as this year, I'm doing psych 1&2 as part of early entry to VCE and am loving it! However, I'm not so sure if I really enjoy the other science subjects as much. We've glossed over VCE science subjects each term in science and I really don't find that I enjoy them or am good at it.
So, TL;DR If I want to become a Psychologist in the future, do I really need to do science subjects (except psych of course)

Thanks! Appreciate any advice :)
2021 - Psychology 1/2
2022 - Psychology 3/4, Further 3/4, Biology 1/2, Legal 1/2, English 1/2, H&HD 1/2
2023 - Biology 3/4, Legal 3/4, English 3/4, H&HD 3/4

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
Re: Do I really need to do a Science subject?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 07:58:09 pm »
+2
Hey everyone,
I'm in Year 10 this year and wanted some advice for subject selection next year. I want to go into the Psychology field in the future as this year, I'm doing psych 1&2 as part of early entry to VCE and am loving it! However, I'm not so sure if I really enjoy the other science subjects as much. We've glossed over VCE science subjects each term in science and I really don't find that I enjoy them or am good at it.
So, TL;DR If I want to become a Psychologist in the future, do I really need to do science subjects (except psych of course)

Thanks! Appreciate any advice :)
No you don't need to do another science, but math is high recommended.

HappyMe

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 08:05:21 pm »
No you don't need to do another science, but math is high recommended.

Oh awesome, thanks!
2021 - Psychology 1/2
2022 - Psychology 3/4, Further 3/4, Biology 1/2, Legal 1/2, English 1/2, H&HD 1/2

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 08:39:04 am »
+5
Hi HappyMe,

I'm currently doing psychology at Monash, and the only prerequisite for my course was English (I'm assuming other unis wouldn't require more than 1 science).
I don't think you should make yourself take any of the sciences if you don't enjoy them. My course does cover some biology content in first year, but everyone has an option to do a bridging course (it looked like a short online course with videos and info), which goes over parts of VCE bio that they want you to know. At a rough estimate probably half of the people i've talked to did bio in VCE, so it's definitely not necessary to push yourself to do in VCE if you don't enjoy it.
I personally don't think maths is super necessary, (I did methods, and none of it really overlaps with the statistics done at uni). I don't think you'd really be that disadvantaged if you really didn't do maths in VCE, (however maybe it would be harder to see numbers again if you didn't see them for 2 years?). They teach the stats as if everyone are beginners.
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

HappyMe

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 09:01:12 pm »
Hey Owlbird83,
Thanks for your reply, it's really reassuring to know that (since Maths isn't a huge favourite either). I guess then Further would be more suitable as it's more stats and all that. Actually, I'm really happy to see you share doing a Psych degree so, if you don't mind, how would you describe the competitiveness of a Psychology degree? Is it as hard as they say to get into honors? And do you think that going through the minimum 6 years pathway is achievable? Oh, and last question! Are you able to do work experience in Psychology centres during the early years of your degree?
2021 - Psychology 1/2

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 10:01:46 pm »
+13
Hey Owlbird83,
Thanks for your reply, it's really reassuring to know that (since Maths isn't a huge favourite either). I guess then Further would be more suitable as it's more stats and all that. Actually, I'm really happy to see you share doing a Psych degree so, if you don't mind, how would you describe the competitiveness of a Psychology degree? Is it as hard as they say to get into honors? And do you think that going through the minimum 6 years pathway is achievable? Oh, and last question! Are you able to do work experience in Psychology centres during the early years of your degree?

Hey Happy Me! It's nice to see someone else on here wanting to do psych too!

I'm not super knowledgeable about honours stuff yet, but I know that for Monash bachelor of psych students you automatically get into honours with a WAM of 70+, but if trying to get in through science or arts, it's more competitive and WAM needs to be around high 70s. It doesn't feel competitive for me (in second year) *yet*, but from talking to higher year students the challenge of getting into masters sounds a bit tough. Apparently higher grades as well as experience from internships/volunteering are recommended/(necessary?) due to the competitiveness of getting into masters. (imo honours doesn't feel as competitive, but might differ between unis and courses).

For your question about whether the six year pathway is achievable, I'm also kind of wondering that too hahaha. It must be right?? From talking to older people, I've heard some say they will apply to many unis including interstate because of the lower number of spots for masters at unis. I've also spoken to people who've taken a break from uni to spend a year volunteering/working and planning to try get into masters a year later. I definitely don't think it's unachievable, i don't really think the competitive aspect would be that different to a lot of other jobs/courses (?).

In regards to your last question, I haven't heard of people being able to do work experience in psychology practices. Masters is the first time when you get to do real placements (which kind of feels like a long time to wait compared to other health degrees, but it guess it makes sense because undergrad for psych is mostly theory). However, the kind of work experience/internships/volunteering at psychology research labs or with mental health organisations is highly recommended. I think it's good to start this as early as possible (i haven't heard of anyone in first year doing these internships, however i think from second year is a good time to start). Aside from the fact that psych-related experience is highly recommended for people wanting to get into masters, i think it's a really valuable way to learn more about the field. Because practical skills aren't really the focus of undergrad, learning these through internships/volunteering feel like a good complement to uni learning and good way to build up valuable personal/professional skills. It's also very helpful that they give you opportunities to talk to people who are further up in their psych pathway than you. Depending on the university some may provide opportunities to apply for internships through them, and they will organise it, however many of these positions are able to be applied for directly.

Also, since i'm still second year i'm still trying to find out more information about the pathways, but I hope this has been a bit helpful! Feel free to ask me anything else if you have more questions and i'll try answer haha!
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

HappyMe

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 02:29:18 pm »
+1
Hey Happy Me! It's nice to see someone else on here wanting to do psych too!
I was honestly so glad to find someone too, so sorry for just throwing questions at you ahah. But thanks so much for answering them! I feel like I have such a better insight into the uni life for Psych now :D

I'm not super knowledgeable about honours stuff yet, but I know that for Monash bachelor of psych students you automatically get into honours with a WAM of 70+
Ohh, okay. That makes sense then since you would be more directly applicable for the honour program.

Apparently higher grades as well as experience from internships/volunteering are recommended/(necessary?) due to the competitiveness of getting into masters. (imo honours doesn't feel as competitive, but might differ between unis and courses).
I've heard that they prefer to hire people with more experience so ig it'd fall into being necessary like you said but I had no idea you'd have to wait till (around) Masters, good to look forward to though (esp after all that theory!)

For your question about whether the six year pathway is achievable, I'm also kind of wondering that too hahaha. It must be right??
I really wish you all the best for it! Like you said yourself, it's not unachievable and it's really just as competitive as any health degree. Hopefully it'll work out for you :D

Because practical skills aren't really the focus of undergrad, learning these through internships/volunteering feel like a good complement to uni learning and good way to build up valuable personal/professional skills. It's also very helpful that they give you opportunities to talk to people who are further up in their psych pathway than you.

Oh okok, I think practical experience > theory is always best. I actually know someone who did an Psych undergrad at UoM and got a WAM of 76 but wasn't able to get into her honours literally in any Uni which was daunting to hear however I think it just comes down to luck at times.

Also, since i'm still second year i'm still trying to find out more information about the pathways, but I hope this has been a bit helpful! Feel free to ask me anything else if you have more questions and i'll try answer haha!
Nooo, thank you so so much! It was super helpful and I'll definitely pester you with questions in the future too ahah. But genuinely, thank you so much for answering my questions again! Also, best of luck for your future!
2021 - Psychology 1/2