Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 11:05:40 am

Author Topic: HSC Chemistry Question Thread  (Read 1044510 times)  Share 

mcheema

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Chemistry Question Thread
« Reply #2055 on: April 23, 2017, 07:28:55 pm »
Hi,
Ive noticed that majority of the exams and quizzes I do I mainly get half equations wrong.
Can you please provide some tips and explain how to do half equations
Thanks

Kekemato_BAP

• Forum Regular
  • Keep calm and study more
« Reply #2056 on: April 23, 2017, 11:40:52 pm »
Hi,
Ive noticed that majority of the exams and quizzes I do I mainly get half equations wrong.
Can you please provide some tips and explain how to do half equations
Thanks

Hi, this is how I do all my half equations and net ionics. We'll use calcium with hydrochloric acid as an example:

1: Write the equation first. Ca + 2HCl -> CaCl2 + H2
2: Write the oxidation equation for the calcium metal. Ca -> Ca2+ + 2e-
3: Write the reduction equation for the hydrogen ions from the HCl. 2H+ + 2e- -> H2
4: The net ionic equation is basically the two half equations combined but minus the electrons. Ca + 2H+ -> Ca2+ + H2

That's how I do it.
Hello

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2057 on: April 24, 2017, 12:04:01 am »
I just had another read of my assignment. I'm not sure what calculations could be used to determine tartaric acid concentration in wine using this method to be honest. I'm sorry for asking so many questions. I don't really understand titrations very well.

Yep, your method will do the trick! To find the acidity of a substance, you need to titrate it. You also need to know the chemical making the wine acidic, so that you can write out the chemical formula. From there, you carry out the usual mathematical steps to find the concentration (and therefore pH) of the wine.

As for your second question, you haven't really explained WHY it is placed in an oven; merely how it is heated up/kept dry etc. Obviously, you know the answer; it is to ensure the substance doesn't absorb water, affecting the purity and the way in which you measure to mass/moles used to create a standard solution. However, you haven't directly answered the question.

mcheema

• Adventurer
« Reply #2058 on: April 24, 2017, 02:54:24 am »
Hi, this is how I do all my half equations and net ionics. We'll use calcium with hydrochloric acid as an example:

1: Write the equation first. Ca + 2HCl -> CaCl2 + H2
2: Write the oxidation equation for the calcium metal. Ca -> Ca2+ + 2e-
3: Write the reduction equation for the hydrogen ions from the HCl. 2H+ + 2e- -> H2
4: The net ionic equation is basically the two half equations combined but minus the electrons. Ca + 2H+ -> Ca2+ + H2

That's how I do it.

Thanks for the help. Yes that makes more sense now

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #2059 on: April 24, 2017, 12:10:04 pm »
I just had another read of my assignment. I'm not sure what calculations could be used to determine tartaric acid concentration in wine using this method to be honest. I'm sorry for asking so many questions. I don't really understand titrations very well.

Hey!

So, we're titrating Tartaric acid and Sodium hydroxide. We have the concentration (and thus moles) of Sodium hydroxide; and we can find the volume (and thus concentration) of Tartaric acid using the titration process. First, we need a chemical equation.

I had to google this. From here, we can do straight forward titration calculations to find the concentration of acid. Find the number of moles of NaOH used, and halve it to get the number of moles of Tartaric acid. Finally, divide the moles of acid by the volume used to get the concentration.
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2060 on: April 24, 2017, 03:41:35 pm »
thank you for your help :D
I was also wondering how do you choose the correct indicator for a tit ration involving sodium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid?
methyl orange or bromophenol blue?

Hey!

So, we're titrating Tartaric acid and Sodium hydroxide. We have the concentration (and thus moles) of Sodium hydroxide; and we can find the volume (and thus concentration) of Tartaric acid using the titration process. First, we need a chemical equation.

I had to google this. From here, we can do straight forward titration calculations to find the concentration of acid. Find the number of moles of NaOH used, and halve it to get the number of moles of Tartaric acid. Finally, divide the moles of acid by the volume used to get the concentration.

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2061 on: April 24, 2017, 05:43:30 pm »
thank you for your help :D
I was also wondering how do you choose the correct indicator for a tit ration involving sodium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid?
methyl orange or bromophenol blue?

Strong acid + strong base will have an end point that's about neutral. So, we use Bromothymol Blue

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2062 on: April 24, 2017, 06:38:53 pm »
I was wondering how do you do this question?

armtistic

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2063 on: April 24, 2017, 06:48:00 pm »
I was wondering how do you do this question?

You already found the moles of CaO and now you're finding them again in your last step when you should be using m = n x mm to find mass
ATAR: 99.70

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2064 on: April 24, 2017, 07:07:29 pm »
I see now what I did wrong.
Thank you very much for your help :D

You already found the moles of CaO and now you're finding them again in your last step when you should be using m = n x mm to find mass

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2065 on: April 24, 2017, 07:28:43 pm »
I was trying to solve this question but I'm not sure what to do. Can i have some help please?

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #2066 on: April 24, 2017, 10:49:54 pm »
Hey there,

I was wondering if someone could help me with the calculations in the following question. Specifically the "alternate calibration method" where you don't use the calibration curve. I haven't been formally taught this yet and the textbook explanation is a bit confusing so any help would be greatly appreciated  :) :)

EDIT: I also have another question - Why does afternoon peak hour traffic have much less effect on city ozone concentrations than the morning peak?

From my textbook, I seem to be under the impression that the ozone concentration is higher in the afternoon because over the day, the NOx which are initially emitted by car exhausts in the morning peak, are oxidised and then photodissociated into free radical which then react with O2. Am I missing a step where the ozone just randomly disappears because that seems to be the only missing piece that would allow me to properly explain what the question implies.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:03:02 am by bsdfjnlkasn »

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2067 on: April 25, 2017, 10:27:17 am »
I was trying to solve this question but I'm not sure what to do. Can i have some help please?

This is just a standard titration question. Find the chemical equation. Find the number of moles of the known substance. Use the chemical equation to divide/multiply this value to get the moles of the unknown. Then, divide my the volume to get the concentration

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2068 on: April 25, 2017, 10:32:12 am »
Hey there,

I was wondering if someone could help me with the calculations in the following question. Specifically the "alternate calibration method" where you don't use the calibration curve. I haven't been formally taught this yet and the textbook explanation is a bit confusing so any help would be greatly appreciated  :) :)

EDIT: I also have another question - Why does afternoon peak hour traffic have much less effect on city ozone concentrations than the morning peak?

From my textbook, I seem to be under the impression that the ozone concentration is higher in the afternoon because over the day, the NOx which are initially emitted by car exhausts in the morning peak, are oxidised and then photodissociated into free radical which then react with O2. Am I missing a step where the ozone just randomly disappears because that seems to be the only missing piece that would allow me to properly explain what the question implies.

Hey! I'm not sure what you mean by the 'alternate calibration' method; as far as I can tell, you need to sketch a calibration curve using the standard solutions (ie Absorbance vs. ppm) and then find on that graph where the absorbance is 0.32, 0.46, 0.21 and 0.055 to find the ppm value of each of the solutions A,B,C and D. Does that kind of make sense? First, you'll need to convert each standard value into ppm. Then, plot it against absorbance and join a line of best fit.

As for your second question, that's way, way outside of the curriculum and is definitely something that you DO NOT need to know. I had no idea that ozone concentrations were higher in the afternoon. It is important to note that Ozone can be formed by combustion in car exhausts, but beyond that you seriously will never need to know any of the information you've described above.

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2069 on: April 25, 2017, 12:40:34 pm »
Like this?
This is just a standard titration question. Find the chemical equation. Find the number of moles of the known substance. Use the chemical equation to divide/multiply this value to get the moles of the unknown. Then, divide my the volume to get the concentration
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 12:52:22 pm by anotherworld2b »