Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:52:05 pm

Author Topic: Compilation of Possible Related Texts – The Human Experience  (Read 29273 times)

darcyynic

• MOTM: NOV 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +81
Compilation of Possible Related Texts – The Human Experience
« on: December 16, 2018, 09:50:37 pm »
+15
The Human Experience is a pretty nebulous concept and consequently, finding a related text which fits your prescribed text can be a little tricky (especially since this is a new module!) I thought I would compile a big list of possible ORTs for some of the prescribed texts because while they will not be assessed in the final exam, you will need one for internal assessments.

Feel free to contribute to the list and add any possible ORTs for other prescribed texts. :)

The Crucible (play)
-   Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (novel or movie): justice, persecution, discrimination, hysteria, morality.
-   To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (novel or movie): justice, persecution, discrimination, hysteria, morality.
-   The Wall by Jean-Paul Sartre (short story): existentialism, justice, power.
-   This House of Grief by Helen Garner (non-fiction novel): justice, power, human emotions, evil vs good, legal system.
-   Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (novella): power, racism, evils of humanity, morality.
-   Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (novel): society, forgiveness, gender, religion.
-   Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (novella): gender, justice, prejudice, freedom.
-   Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (novel): discrimination, gender, sexuality, religion, lies and deceit, morality.
-   A Legend of Truth by Rudyard Kipling (poem): role of storytelling, manipulation of truth, desire for but dismissal of truth by humanity.
-   Goblin Market by Christina Rossetti (poem): feminist politics, gender, temptation, sin, violence.

1984 (novel)
-   The Handmaid’s Tale (television series): oppression, gender, dystopia, power, justice.
-   Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut (short story): oppression, dystopia, power.
-   The Lives of Others (film): good vs evil, oppression, power, identity, morality.
-   Poetry by W.H Auden: power, control, modernity, humanity, good vs evil.
-   Antigone by Sophocles (play): justice, power, authority, gender, tragedy.

All the Light We Cannot See (novel)
-   Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (film): lies and deceit, race, morality, friendship, freedom.
-   Poetry by W.H Auden: power, control, modernity, humanity, good vs evil.
-   Atonement (film): forgiveness, redemption, literature, family.
-   The Maker by Christopher Kezelos (short film): transience and beauty of life, joy, loss, loneliness, purpose.
-   Fieldworks of the Sublime or Anthropocene by Nomi Stone (poetry)
-   Waste by Afaa Micheal Weaver (poetry)
-   The Iron Giant by Brad Bird (film): existentialism, nature of humanity, technology.
-   The Imitation Game by Morten Tyldum (film): war, gender roles, desire for intimacy, inhumanity of authorities.

The Merchant of Venice (play)
-   Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (novel): justice, persecution, discrimination, hysteria, morality.
-   To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (novel): justice, persecution, discrimination, hysteria, morality.
-   Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (novel): prejudice, society, gender, relationships.
-   Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (novel): discrimination, gender, sexuality, religion, lies and deceit, morality.

Rosemary Dobson (poetry)
-   Death of a River Guide by Richard Flanagan (novel): memory, loss, landscape, transience of life, purpose, history, family.
-   The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams (play): memory, family, deception, love.

Kenneth Slessor (poetry)
-   No Other Country by Shaun Tan (short story): suburbia, minutiae of life, hopes.
-   Loving Vincent by Dorota Kobiela and Hugh Welchman (film): biography, art.
-   The Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymus Bosch (artwork): temptations, lust, nature/evils of humanity,
-   Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint Exupery (memoir): friendship, death, heroism, meaning of life.

Best of luck with the Common Module!

Darcy Campbell
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 01:35:05 pm by darcyynic »
HSC Class of 2018: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Modern History, Ancient History, History Extension, and German Continuers.

2019: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Politics and International Relations) (Dalyell Scholars) at USYD.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Compilation of Possible Related Texts – The Human Experience
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 11:58:14 pm »
+6
Awesome resources once again, Darcy  8) 8) I'll add some other possible suggestions here compiled from any previous posts I've made for the module  :)

Poetry by Kenneth Slessor
Short Story
Shaun Tan's No Other Country
Film
Dorota Kobiela and Hugh Welchman's Loving Vincent
Artwork
Hieronymus Bosch's The Garden of Earthly Delights
Memoir
Antoine de Saint Exupery's Wind, Sand and Stars

All the light we can not see
Short Film
Christopher Kezelos' The Maker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDXOioU_OKM
Poetry
Nomi Stone's Fieldworkers of the Sublime or Anthropocene
https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/fieldworkers-sublime
https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/anthropocene
Afaa Micheal Weaver's Waste
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poems/57574/waste-56d23b39a4e2c
Film
Brad Bird's The Iron Giant
Morten Tyldum's The Imitation Game

Waste Land
Poetry
Lawrence Ferlinghetti's In Goya's Greatest Scenes We Seem to See
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/42861/in-goyas-greatest-scenes-we-seem-to-see-
Spoken Word Poetry
Prince Ea's Dear Future Generations: Sorry
https://youtu.be/eRLJscAlk1M
Feature Article
Francesca Perry's 'You can taste it in the air': your stories of life in polluted cities
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/feb/16/taste-air-pollution-smog-your-stories-life-polluted-cities
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 12:02:41 am by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

tamsyc

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 08:01:32 pm »
+4
We did The Crucible at school and I chose A Legend of Truth by Rudyard Kipling as my related, which I really loved because it drew out quite a lot out of the role of storytelling, my collective experience was the manipulation of truth by authority, and the inconsistency was the desire for but dismissal of truth by humankind.

Another suggestion our school really liked was a poem called Goblin Market by Christina Rossetti, but its super long...

Hope this helps someone  ;D

darcyynic

• MOTM: NOV 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 01:37:30 pm »
I have updated the list! Thanks tamsyc and angewina_naguen :)
HSC Class of 2018: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Modern History, Ancient History, History Extension, and German Continuers.

2019: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Politics and International Relations) (Dalyell Scholars) at USYD.

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 05:16:53 pm »
+3
I only have 2nd hand experience with this module so feel free to disregard my suggestions or check them out for possible application to another main text but here are some thoughts for all the light we cannot see:

- charge of the light brigade (famous poem but forgot poet)

- neighborhood watch (Lally Katz)

- Blasted (Sarah Kane)

- Life of Pi (Ang Lee)
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 09:25:23 pm »
+4
I have a couple of suggestions but feel free to scrap them (I'm still a bit unsure with the new syllabus so I'm not sure how helpful this would be):

All the Light We Cannot See:
The Great Dictator by Charlie Chaplin (film): war, nature of humanity, justice

1984:
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (novel): censorship, dystopia, loss of culture/knowledge
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

hemlock

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 02:15:06 am »
+3
Hey guys,

As someone who has completed the first assignment for the Common Module and has had success, let me recommend a few texts from those who have also done well in my class (for 'The Crucible'):

Films
- Marc Forster's 2007 'The Kite Runner' (also could consider Khaled Hosseini's original 2003 novel)
- Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck's 2006 'The Lives of Others'

Novels (Keep in mind - 'The Crucible' is a play/drama, so novels are still a good choice for your related; don't feel pressured into doing a film/poem because you think you have to.
- William Golding's 1954 'Lord of the Flies': impulse vs moral integrity (you can do so much for this with 'The Crucible')

Denn

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 02:28:55 pm »
could someone please put up some related texts 4 i am malala... please

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 05:19:25 pm »
+2
could someone please put up some related texts 4 i am malala... please

Hey, Denn!

Welcome to the forums  :) I responded to a user a while back with some TED Talks that make great related texts for I am Malala. You can check them out here! You're also welcome to use any of the related texts in this thread as they all relate to the Human Experiences module. Hope that helps and good luck with choosing one!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

Hannah.field

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 06:48:24 pm »
is there any suggestions of a picture book related text that closely relates to the crucible??

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 07:33:51 pm »
is there any suggestions of a picture book related text that closely relates to the crucible??

Hey, Hannah.field!

You could look at The Rabbits by John Marsden and Shaun Tan as an option. It's an allegory of British settlement and colonialisation told from the perspective of Aboriginal Australians. Links can be drawn to storytelling as a disguised commentary on contemporary issues and using history to educate audiences on ways to have humanity. The text also fits under a lot of the rubric concepts (individual, collective, human qualities, human emotions etc.) and can enable you to analyse both written and visual techniques. Let me know what you think of it!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

jconners07

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2021, 02:07:39 pm »
+1
 I am doing the Crucible and looking at a legend of truth as a related text however, I could not find many resources in terms of analysis or its relation to texts and human experiences. I was wondering if you could share what you found or have.
Thanks

maimuna.ahmedd

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2021, 05:17:20 pm »
hey, can someone pls recommend a closely related text for the story "Past the Shallows" by Favel Parret.