Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:06:20 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 847552 times)  Share 

kimmytaaa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #1485 on: October 24, 2016, 09:12:48 am »
Hi
For language analysis, I asked my teacher if we are comparing it because throughout the whole year we have been on writing one pieces. So when I asked my teacher do we have to compare our pieces if there was 2 article, my teacher said 'it all depends on what is presented in the exam....nobody knows. You do not have to compare only offer a linking sentence (if more than one piece is offered) like we practiced in class.' Is this correct or wrong?

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #1486 on: October 24, 2016, 09:43:11 am »
+2
Hi
For language analysis, I asked my teacher if we are comparing it because throughout the whole year we have been on writing one pieces. So when I asked my teacher do we have to compare our pieces if there was 2 article, my teacher said 'it all depends on what is presented in the exam....nobody knows. You do not have to compare only offer a linking sentence (if more than one piece is offered) like we practiced in class.' Is this correct or wrong?

No marks directly awarded for comparison/there isn't a criteria that says you need to compare. We just tend to do it every now and then because it allows for a more coherent piece.

tl;dr: You don't need to.

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
  • Be yourself and be your best self.
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #1487 on: October 24, 2016, 10:43:03 am »
+2
Hiiii

I want to use quotes from my text for my context piece but I do not ever explicitly mention my text. Should I put quotation marks: "like this" when I quote so it is clear that it came from my text? Will the exam markers be cool with it?

Thank youuu

Yes you should. Examiners do look for quotation marks to ensure that you are putting your quotes in. However, you do need to make obvious that your are reffing to the text as quotation marks can refer to any other quote you've learn't throughout the text. Eg. Biff calls Willy a "fake" and "phoney." (note that I haven't explicitly said it was from Death of a Salesman but have made it obvious that it's from that text. That's what you need to do).

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1488 on: October 24, 2016, 11:01:28 am »
Eve Harrington is egotistical. Discuss.

a) This is waaaay too specific to be VCAA-esque, right?
b) How is Eve egotistical anyway?

How do women in the film defy/adhere to the 1950s feminine idea?

How would I qualify/challenge this prompt? How would I even break down this prompt?

In order to succeed in the theatre, the only values that count are egotism and ruthless ambition.

If I broke it down like this:
1. Egotism is a trait of the theatre; can lead to success.
2. But it doesn't necessarily = success
3. Ambition is also a thing in the theatre; can lead to success.
4. But it doesn't necessarily = success either.
Conclusion: Ultimately, egotism and ambition don't necessarily = success; they are not the "only values that count". Interpersonal relationships count more, as shown through M

^^Would that count as sufficient exploration of the prompt?

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
  • Be yourself and be your best self.
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #1489 on: October 24, 2016, 11:27:39 am »
+1
So if I have a really good piece on the American dream related to The Death of A Salesman but we studied Wag the Dog and Foe can I still write it and not get penalized?

You can. As I said, you never know which examiner your gonna get, and they don't even know which school you are from, nor do they know what text you are studying for school. So if they don't know that, you can't get penalised for it. Please make an effort to know Death of a Salesman very well though - you should be able to twist the prompt you get into Death of a Salesman, but be able to do so to Wag the Dog and Foe too.

Hydraulix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #1490 on: October 24, 2016, 11:52:13 am »
Yes you should. Examiners do look for quotation marks to ensure that you are putting your quotes in. However, you do need to make obvious that your are reffing to the text as quotation marks can refer to any other quote you've learn't throughout the text. Eg. Biff calls Willy a "fake" and "phoney." (note that I haven't explicitly said it was from Death of a Salesman but have made it obvious that it's from that text. That's what you need to do).

Hmm wait I'm a bit confused. I'll let you know my example and you can tell me if it's not obvious:

The piece that I write on the exam may be a speech by someone that grew up in South Africa apartheid (for Whose Reality - Text: Foe)

I wouldn't use any of the characters or mention the novel as that would seem random. But within the speech where I am discussing the prompt can I drop a key quote of the text like: "their trade is in books, not in truth" as if my speaker is saying them. If this was a true speech it would be weird to put quotation marks but I want to so it is obvious.

I don't get what you mean when you say

that your are reffing to the text as quotation marks can refer to any other quote you've learn't throughout the text.

Thankkssss youuuu for the helpp :)

Hydraulix

• Adventurer
« Reply #1491 on: October 24, 2016, 01:20:26 pm »
Okay another question. Eek!

For the prompt: Medea is the true victim in Euripides' play. Do you agree?
I want to do these body paragraphs

BP1 - From the outset of the play Medea is portrayed as the victim

BP2 - As the play progressed Medea's manipulative nature towards the people that care for her, namedly the Nurse and the Chorus, show that Medea is not a true victim

BP3 - She goes on to use her "evil skills to make her enemies a victim of her wrath

BP4 - Thus the true victim of the play cannot be Medea but is in fact the sons

What do you guys think of this approach? I'm more worried about the last paragraph... will that be considered off topic?

Thanks peeps!!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:34:08 am by Hydraulix »

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1492 on: October 24, 2016, 01:33:17 pm »
+3
Okay another question. Eek!

For the prompt: Medea is the true victim in Euripides' play. Do you agree?
I want to do these body paragraphs

BP1 - From the outset of the play Medea is portrayed as the victim

BP2 - As the play progressed Medea's manipulative nature towards the people that care for her, namedly the Nurse and the Chorus, show that Medea is not a true victim

BP3 - She goes on to use her "evil skill[ s] to make her enemies a victim of her wrath"

BP4 - Thus the true victim of the play cannot be Medea but is in fact the sons

What do you guys think of this approach? I'm more worried about the last paragraph... will that be considered off topic?

Thanks peeps!!

Warning: I haven't touched Medea since Unit 3.

Be careful though cos it sounds like you're essentially planning on writing an essay that goes:

Medea is a victim.
Medea is a victim.
Wait no she isn't a victim.
Actually her sons are the victims.

^^ That wouldn't be coherent at all and you'd essentially just be contradicting yourself.**

**Could just be how you've worded it tho.

Medea is the true victim in Euripides' play. Do you agree?

I'd probably do something more like:
1. Medea presents herself as the victim at the beginning of the play.
2. And to some extent, yeah, she is the victim, due to the actions of Jason and the patriarchal world she lives in.
3. But her status as a victim is undermined by her actions over the course of the play.
4. Thus, ultimately, the true victim of the play is not Medea, it is her sons.

Can you see the difference?

Hydraulix

• Adventurer
« Reply #1493 on: October 24, 2016, 01:39:30 pm »
Warning: I haven't touched Medea since Unit 3.

Be careful though cos it sounds like you're essentially planning on writing an essay that goes:

Medea is a victim.
Medea is a victim.
Wait no she isn't a victim.
Actually her sons are the victims.

^^ That wouldn't be coherent at all and you'd essentially just be contradicting yourself.**

**Could just be how you've worded it tho.

Medea is the true victim in Euripides' play. Do you agree?

I'd probably do something more like:
2. And to some extent, yeah, she is the victim, due to the actions of Jason and the patriarchal world she lives in.
3. But her status as a victim is undermined by her actions over the course of the play.

Can you see the difference?

Oh wow that is beautiful
My miind is blown thank you thank you!!!

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #1494 on: October 24, 2016, 01:42:27 pm »
with regards to films in text response, it is advisable to prefer/use more cinematic , film based techniques that the author used (not being prompt specific) or stick with regular examples/quotes? ive been told its better to focus on the film techniques for films.. but i am not sure.. ty!
Uni and life

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
  • djkhaled305 is the key to success
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #1495 on: October 24, 2016, 01:43:16 pm »
+4
Oh wow that is beautiful
My miind is blown thank you thank you!!!
Yo Just keep in mind that you can't just base your essay on the main bitch. You got other hoes you gotta discuss

Fuck you english your eyebrows aren't even good
Why walk when you can stand on the shoulders of giants?

blacksanta62

• Forum Leader
  • "Anything is possible"-KG
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1496 on: October 24, 2016, 02:04:50 pm »
+1
Can someone provide a strong way to integrate the author's views and values on certain themes?
Thank you :)
2016:
Spesh | Methods CAS | Chem | Bio | Eng |

2018-2020:
BSc @ UoM

Hydraulix

• Adventurer
« Reply #1497 on: October 24, 2016, 02:07:23 pm »
Yo Just keep in mind that you can't just base your essay on the main bitch. You got other hoes you gotta discuss

I like how you put things haha

But I was worried that if I talk about other hoes then it would look like I'm going off topic. How do I discuss other hoes while remaining on topic? Orrr am I just wrong about the whole off topic thing

Thank youu

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1498 on: October 24, 2016, 02:11:55 pm »

+100

;D ;D ;D

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1499 on: October 24, 2016, 02:18:47 pm »
+2
I like how you put things haha

But I was worried that if I talk about other hoes then it would look like I'm going off topic. How do I discuss other hoes while remaining on topic? Orrr am I just wrong about the whole off topic thing

Thank youu

You have more leeway for prompts like that.

But I think, so long as you mention the other characters you should be set.

e.g.:

wailing to the Chorus

Talk about Jason's actions here, plus maybe the actions of Aegeus to exile her despite the fact that she's done nothing wrong

By her actions onto Jason, Glauce, Aegeus

Talk about M and sons

^^ You wouldn't just be talking about Medea in 1000 words using that.

I think that that counts as "not basing your essay on the main bitch" ahaha