Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:46:29 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469734 times)  Share 

NomotivationF

• Forum Obsessive
  • Serial procrastinator
  • Respect: +93
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1470 on: May 12, 2019, 04:24:25 pm »
+2
Hey guys!

Does anyone have a good example for explaining elaborative rehearsal?

I know that elaborative rehearsal involves linking new information in some meaningful way to information already stored in long-term memory, but I can't think of an example to use in questions that require it.

Is 'linking newly learnt names of people to names of people you already know' an alright example?

Thanks!
-Chloe :)

Hey Chloe,

Elaborative rehearsal can be defined as the process of linking new information in a meaningful way with other new information or information already stored in LTM to aid in its storage and future retrieval from LTM. An example of elaborative rehearsal may be Self-referencing/salience = Linking new info to the self or to personal experiences, which may increase the likelihood of remembering
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 07:27:12 pm by NomotivationF »
Offering tutoring for Economics, Further Maths and Psychology
(Email [email protected])
(Mobile - 0435076426)

My journey through VCE

How I got a Raw 48 in Economics

2018 - Accounting [42] Further Maths [44]
2019 - English [39] Economics [48] Psychology [44] Maths methods [33]
ATAR - 97.5
2020-2023 - Ba Commerce/Science @Monash

briv01

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1471 on: May 13, 2019, 07:15:24 pm »
Just a quick question regarding the serial position affect,

I understand the primacy and recency affect. However, is it wrong to write that this effect is influenced by the type of information ( eg can be emotionally arousing info ), the amount of info ( eg if info was chunked or not ) as well as extraneous variables such as distractions in the environment where the info was attended to and participant variables such as memory?

NomotivationF

• Forum Obsessive
  • Serial procrastinator
« Reply #1472 on: May 13, 2019, 07:26:47 pm »
+4
Just a quick question regarding the serial position affect,

I understand the primacy and recency affect. However, is it wrong to write that this effect is influenced by the type of information ( eg can be emotionally arousing info ), the amount of info ( eg if info was chunked or not ) as well as extraneous variables such as distractions in the environment where the info was attended to and participant variables such as memory?

Hey briv,

I think you're correct in saying that the serial positioning effect is affected by the type and amount of info, and there would definitely be EV's at play when investigating this phenomenon. However, in terms of the study design I don't think this is relevant and I'm quite confident the only effect on SPE you need to know about is that if recall is delayed OR if participants are asked to recall words in the correct order, no recency effect occurs.

Also sorry for being pedantic but it's 'effect' not 'affect'   
(Mobile - 0435076426)

My journey through VCE

ATAR - 97.5

briv01

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1473 on: May 13, 2019, 07:42:13 pm »
Great, thanks so much
And haha sorry 😂 I’ll use effect next time

The reason I asked was I actually wrote that in my poster report sac in the theory section about the serial position effect, I did mention the other important aspects of the effect
Do you think that’s fine even though it’s not part of the study design?

NomotivationF

• Forum Obsessive
  • Serial procrastinator
« Reply #1474 on: May 13, 2019, 07:49:07 pm »
Great, thanks so much
And haha sorry 😂 I’ll use effect next time

The reason I asked was I actually wrote that in my poster report sac in the theory section about the serial position effect, I did mention the other important aspects of the effect
Do you think that’s fine even though it’s not part of the study design?

I'm sure it's fine as long as you explained it correctly. I'm assuming this is Psych 1/2, so a little extra information / knowledge can only do you good :). However for 3/4 I'd suggest always asking your teacher questions and avoid including information that isn't relevant to the study design.
(Mobile - 0435076426)

My journey through VCE

ATAR - 97.5

briv01

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1475 on: May 13, 2019, 07:51:59 pm »
Uh oh lol
It’s 3/4 psych,
Hopefully it’s okay, fingers crossed
Thanks though

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1476 on: May 13, 2019, 07:56:36 pm »
+3
Uh oh lol
It’s 3/4 psych,
Hopefully it’s okay, fingers crossed
Thanks though

I would be very surprised if they took marks off you for including this assuming you've integrated it into the report correctly.

It could even help you gain marks if it helps you display understanding of the scientific method and EVs :)

briv01

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1477 on: May 13, 2019, 08:00:05 pm »
I hope so,
I wrote it as part of my introduction where I discussed the serial position effect
I included it after I talked about the main theory of the effect

Thanks guys

NomotivationF

• Forum Obsessive
  • Serial procrastinator
« Reply #1478 on: May 21, 2019, 09:51:57 am »
Hey guys,

How would you compare and contrast implicit and explicit memories? I know something to contrast would be explicit requires conscious retrieval whereas implicit doesn't. What are some similarities or some more differences?
(Mobile - 0435076426)

My journey through VCE

ATAR - 97.5

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #1479 on: May 22, 2019, 02:16:09 pm »
+9
Hey guys,

How would you compare and contrast implicit and explicit memories? I know something to contrast would be explicit requires conscious retrieval whereas implicit doesn't. What are some similarities or some more differences?

Implicit memory doesn't require conscious or intentional retrieval, whereas in explicit memory information is intentionally or consciously retrieved and stated.

This is the most basic answer that would probably give you 2 marks. If the question says to include an example, then do so. You can also include the types of implicit and explicit memories (e.g. classically conditioned, procedural for implicit and episodic, semantic for explicit). In psych, usually you only need to put the two definitions together and add a comparison word in between when it asks you to compare two things. You don't need to actually find specific differences or similarities unless the question is worded like that.

However, if you aren't answering an actual question and you're looking at how they're different/same, these apply:
- where they are stored in the brain
- how they are affected by brain damage, and what types of brain damage
- which one is likely to be forgotten quicker (with age)
- how they can be tested (e.g. explicit memories can be tested through recall and recognition)

^my understanding of what our teacher has taught us.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #1480 on: June 04, 2019, 07:31:00 pm »
Ok so doing an experiment on recall.

Basically where gonna get participants to memorise a list of 10 words in silence for a minute. After a minute we will take away the page of words and ask them to write as many of the  10 words they can remember  on a piece of paper. After they have done that we will give them another list of 10 random words ( different to the first list) except while they are memorising these words, classical music is playing. After a minute we will again take away the sheet of paper and stop the music and ask them to write down as many of the words they can remember from the list.

My questions

The aim of this experiment is

To investigate the effect of music on retrieval of information

or

To investigate the effect of music during learning on retrieval of information

Which option is the best, and is their a better aim you guys can think of.

Cheers
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

NomotivationF

• Forum Obsessive
  • Serial procrastinator
« Reply #1481 on: June 04, 2019, 07:50:50 pm »
+3
Ok so doing an experiment on recall.

Basically where gonna get participants to memorise a list of 10 words in silence for a minute. After a minute we will take away the page of words and ask them to write as many of the  10 words they can remember  on a piece of paper. After they have done that we will give them another list of 10 random words ( different to the first list) except while they are memorising these words, classical music is playing. After a minute we will again take away the sheet of paper and stop the music and ask them to write down as many of the words they can remember from the list.

My questions

The aim of this experiment is

To investigate the effect of music on retrieval of information

or

To investigate the effect of music during learning on retrieval of information

Which option is the best, and is their a better aim you guys can think of.

Cheers

Hey Doc,

So your experiment seems like you're using music as a context dependant cue to trigger recall. I would try to add that into your aim and say something as follows;

The aim was to investigate the effect of music as a context dependant on the retrieval of information.
(Mobile - 0435076426)

My journey through VCE

ATAR - 97.5

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #1482 on: June 04, 2019, 09:38:25 pm »
Hey Doc,

So your experiment seems like you're using music as a context dependant cue to trigger recall. I would try to add that into your aim and say something as follows;

The aim was to investigate the effect of music as a context dependant on the retrieval of information.

Hey

Am I experimenting context dependant cue when the music isn't playing. Like they're listening to music while trying to memorise a list of words. Than I turn of the music and they write down as many words as they can recall .

Correct me if I'm wrong but I though context dependant cues were things in the environment that trigger a memory.
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1483 on: June 05, 2019, 09:40:31 am »
+2
Yeah music isn't a contextual cue because the music isn't playing while they write.

Your second aim is better than the 1st. Personally,  I'd be more specific (ie free recall rather than retrieval, "hearing music" rather than just "music") but stick to your experiences of how your teacher prefers aims to be presented.

ktbrianne

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1484 on: June 06, 2019, 02:49:41 pm »
Okay, I'm in year 11 doing year 12 psychology. We are currently doing our scientific poster and the school that I did unit 1&2 at, I didn't do a scientific poster. I'm not sure how exactly i should go about this, I've been given an outline of the information I need but I don't actually know how to do it. I sound really dumb for asking this but I am just unsure of what to do, I know how to write an aim, hypothesis, etc. I just don't know how to create the actual poster.