Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:22:27 am

Author Topic: Selective School Exam 2019: Tips  (Read 9645 times)  Share 

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
Re: Selective School Exam 2019: Tips
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 04:49:23 pm »
Many people have told me that english is my strength so I am just going to go with that ahhaha.

For me, I think it would be:
1. Reading Comprehension
2. Writing
3. Verbal Reasoning
4. Maths
5. Numerical Reasoning

I feel like I am just gonna flop the test tbh.  :(
Believe in yourself!
We have the opposite strengths😂

lacitam

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 11:05:12 pm »
Oh gosh I actually hate negative signs honestly.

When sitting the test, is there a live timer right in front of you or will there be like people letting you know when there is like 5 minutes left?
Sorry! I can not remember whether they had a live timer or not - I wasn't wearing my glasses anyways so I wouldn't have noticed :P
We were given 5 minute warnings though. Make sure you actually stop writing when times up otherwise you're screwing yourself over (I've heard bad stories about it).

pangushi

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 12:48:44 am »
Believe in yourself!
We have the opposite strengths😂

Oh yeah we do ahahaha. I really think I will struggle with maths as I’m even struggling with week 6 topic surfs :(

pangushi

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 12:51:52 am »
Sorry! I can not remember whether they had a live timer or not - I wasn't wearing my glasses anyways so I wouldn't have noticed :P
We were given 5 minute warnings though. Make sure you actually stop writing when times up otherwise you're screwing yourself over (I've heard bad stories about it).

Oh that’s all good ahaha. Wouldn’t pressure you to remember something so far back. Honestly, I’m that type of person who if doesn’t finish, would sneak an answer or two or finish the sentence but let’s hope I use my time wisely here. Would hate to jeopardise my chance.

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 05:30:30 pm »
Oh yeah we do ahahaha. I really think I will struggle with maths as I’m even struggling with week 6 topic surfs :(
Don’t worry, just keep practising and you’ll get it.
I was fine with week 6 and week 7 surds but week 5 volume and surface area of cylinders and other shapes was pretty hard.

rakshanaraj06

• Forum Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 10:48:59 am »
Hey,

I am writing the exam this year too and I started to go to edu-kingdom tutoring from October last year so we are sort of on the same page ahaha:)
For me, English is my strength and maths is my weakness. Some tips I have got from others is don't pressure yourself and don't be nervous. Most importantly, dont be overconfident with questions you find easy as that may be a reason to make a silly mistake.
Also now that we have 30 minutes to write + 10 minutes planning time dont stress to much about it. However, make sure your piece is still good and don't go too in-depth:)
I also did a few henderson workshops and i definitely recommend them :)
Good Luck and message me if you want to discuss further

pangushi

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 11:35:30 pm »
Don’t worry, just keep practising and you’ll get it.
I was fine with week 6 and week 7 surds but week 5 volume and surface area of cylinders and other shapes was pretty hard.

Yeah I am starting to get the hang of surds now ahhaha. Also, are you going to attend the mock exam?

pangushi

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 11:38:52 pm »
Hey,

I am writing the exam this year too and I started to go to edu-kingdom tutoring from October last year so we are sort of on the same page ahaha:)
For me, English is my strength and maths is my weakness. Some tips I have got from others is don't pressure yourself and don't be nervous. Most importantly, dont be overconfident with questions you find easy as that may be a reason to make a silly mistake.
Also now that we have 30 minutes to write + 10 minutes planning time dont stress to much about it. However, make sure your piece is still good and don't go too in-depth:)
I also did a few henderson workshops and i definitely recommend them :)
Good Luck and message me if you want to discuss further

Hello ! Just wondering, is edu kingdom good? A lot of people who I know from my school are attending there for the selective and I am kind of scared going up against them ahahahah. What school are you trying to get into by the way?

I feel like trying some hendersons workshops because apparently there are really similar to the actual exam but harder.

Good luck to you too  :)

rakshanaraj06

• Forum Regular
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2019, 09:09:42 am »
Yes, edu-kingdom is good. They really help you with your time-management skills however if you want to go to a tutoring where they actually teach you the topics then I don't recommend Edu-Kingdom as they don't go over the individual topics.
My 1st preference is Suzanne Cory, 2nd is Macrob, and 3rd is Nossal.
What about you?

MemeMaster

• Trailblazer
  • memes
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2019, 11:43:25 am »
oof I haven’t been on atarnotes in ages
I noticed people were talking about the tests they find easiest so here’s mine from easiest to hardest
Verbal Reasoning
Numerical
Writing
Maths
Reading

also I  go to James Ann for tutoring
good luck to all ;)
bork

rakshanaraj06

• Forum Regular
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2019, 05:31:29 pm »
also my easiest to hardest is
1. reading comp
2. verbal reasoning
3.numerical
4. maths
5. writing

lol its kinda surprising to see how much it varies

Hi im jeff

• Forum Regular
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2019, 09:54:49 pm »
Lol hi guys I did the exam for 2018 and unfortunately did not get in.

You guys should know about the hendersons mock exams right? Anyway, prior to the exam I had studied a lot and once it came to the mock exam I came out with five superiors. In the real exam I only had one superior.

Just because you get good marks in mock exams does not mean that you are guaranteed to get into these schools. You guys have to put in the hard work and not get carried away by these results. Try to be as prepared as you can, event though these mock exams are similar to the real exam in a way, you can never predict what will be on the test. My advice to all of you doing the test this year is too put in the hard work, and I can assure you, the outcome will be positive.

Hi im jeff

• Forum Regular
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2019, 10:01:07 pm »
By the way guys, the exam for math last year was extremely difficult, I think it had some very complicated concepts such as functions and relations. You guys should thoroughly study the year 9 content, and most of the year 10 content. I dont know how hard the math test will be this year, but you guys need to keep flipping through textbooks and studying the content.

Louis23

• Forum Regular
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2019, 06:44:09 pm »
What was the math topics in last years math test
In numerical reasoning what kind of questions was it

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2019, 09:49:40 pm »
Yeah I am starting to get the hang of surds now ahhaha. Also, are you going to attend the mock exam?
Nope, way too expensive and from what I’ve heard, it’s way easier than the real exam.