Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:26:48 am

Author Topic: How hard will it be to get a 50 in HHD?  (Read 8366 times)  Share 

Sunset.T

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
How hard will it be to get a 50 in HHD?
« on: August 08, 2017, 07:47:38 am »
I'm in year 11 and I am currently doing 3/4 hhd. So far we have completed 4 SACs. I got 100% on the first SAC, I dropped one mark on the second, the third I got 88% (I was severely underprepared due to mental health lmao), and my most recent one I got 100%. My goal this year was to get 100% on all the SACs but I guess crap happens. Anyway so I'm aiming to get 100% on the remaining 2 SACs obviously. If I did get 100%, and then got 100% on my exam, do you reckon I could get that 50? My friends and I get the top marks on SACs I believe, but I'm the only one that has gotten 100% twice (I think, I could be wrong though). Also how hard would it be achieving 100% on the exam? I have a very good memory, I memorise definitions word for word very quickly and all that. I think I'm mostly concerned about the time. I tend to write incredibly long detailed answers to make sure I get ever mark, I often write a paragraph for a question only worth 2 marks. I'm concerned that with this method I will run out of time and not answer every question. Any tips?
2017: HHD [42]
2018: Biology, English, Further Maths, PE

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: How hard will it be to get a 50 in HHD?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 09:19:01 am »
+3
Hey Sunset! :)

Amazing results thus far - congratulations!

With rank 1, 100% on the exam would guarantee a 50. Getting 100% on the exam is extremely unlikely, though. For context, the exam A+ cutoff last year was 159/200 (so, 79.5%). You can find those statistics here.

With that out of the way, I'd try not to focus too much on the quantitative stuff. You've clearly done very well, so you know how to get high marks. What I'd be focusing on at the moment is nailing each definition, really understanding links between different concepts in the course, and continuing on your merry way.

Re: the long answers. I feel that to the core, because your post above pretty much summarises my position word for word when I was in Year 12 haha. I also wrote too much, but hey, it worked! Things to consider, though:
* Make sure you give the best parts of your answers first (don't, like, try to finish strong or anything - just give the most obvious answers if necessary)
* Make sure you practise in timed conditions - because it would suck to not finish the exam due to writing too much

Writing lots isn't a big issue on the assumption that you can finish the exam. Like I said, I was in a very similar position, so I made sure that I'd finish (and I did finish the exam with approximately four seconds left lol).

P.S. For what it's worth, your SAC results are better than what mine were (but again, raw results don't really mean much), and I scored a 50 in HHD. :))

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Sunset.T

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 09:55:36 am »
Hey Sunset! :)

Amazing results thus far - congratulations!

With rank 1, 100% on the exam would guarantee a 50. Getting 100% on the exam is extremely unlikely, though. For context, the exam A+ cutoff last year was 159/200 (so, 79.5%). You can find those statistics here.

With that out of the way, I'd try not to focus too much on the quantitative stuff. You've clearly done very well, so you know how to get high marks. What I'd be focusing on at the moment is nailing each definition, really understanding links between different concepts in the course, and continuing on your merry way.

Re: the long answers. I feel that to the core, because your post above pretty much summarises my position word for word when I was in Year 12 haha. I also wrote too much, but hey, it worked! Things to consider, though:
* Make sure you give the best parts of your answers first (don't, like, try to finish strong or anything - just give the most obvious answers if necessary)
* Make sure you practise in timed conditions - because it would suck to not finish the exam due to writing too much

Writing lots isn't a big issue on the assumption that you can finish the exam. Like I said, I was in a very similar position, so I made sure that I'd finish (and I did finish the exam with approximately four seconds left lol).

P.S. For what it's worth, your SAC results are better than what mine were (but again, raw results don't really mean much), and I scored a 50 in HHD. :))

Thanks! And wow congrats on getting a 50! I'm actually starting to think it'll be impossible for me to get a 50. I'm pretty sure I was rank 1 but I think I lost that position after getting 88% on the third SAC. I'm still incredibly mad at that score haha, I know that lots of people failed that SAC because it was the most content dense outcome, so I did better than a lot of people which is great considering I learnt all the content 2 hours before the SAC. But I still think it completely blew things for me haha. But those are some good tips thanks!

Plus I think another issue with my answers is I always second guess myself, I'm always the last person to finish my SACs and it's usually because I question one of my answers for agessss haha

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 10:04:25 am »
+2
I'm actually starting to think it'll be impossible for me to get a 50.

What gives you that impression?

You're near the top of your cohort, you clearly have a solid understanding of the course, and you want to do well. I seriously think you're in a fantastic position; there's no need to cast such doubt!

I know it's hard to know how you're really going etc. But really, you're doing all you possibly could be doing right now. :)

I'm pretty sure I was rank 1 but I think I lost that position after getting 88% on the third SAC.

A couple of things:
* Regardless, it sounds as though you're near the top of your cohort?
* You don't need to hold rank one to score a 50

I'm still incredibly mad at that score haha, I know that lots of people failed that SAC because it was the most content dense outcome, so I did better than a lot of people which is great considering I learnt all the content 2 hours before the SAC. But I still think it completely blew things for me haha. But those are some good tips thanks!

What you feel is perfectly valid - I was pissed when I dropped marks in HHD, too. But again, a few things to consider (which I should have considered more thoughtfully in Year 12):
* The difference between 88% and 100% was probably, what, a few marks?
* You did very well compared to your cohort - and that's ultimately what VCAA cares about most
* There's absolutely no way known that an 88% SAC "completely blew things" for you; ultimately, the difference in that one SAC between 88% and 100% will be negligible if anything

Plus I think another issue with my answers is I always second guess myself, I'm always the last person to finish my SACs and it's usually because I question one of my answers for agessss haha

I wouldn't take too much notice of finishing last - again, I was exactly the same haha. I actually took comfort in it, because it made me feel like I was considering each question in greater depth than everybody else.

Regarding second guessing yourself, why do you think that is? I reckon it'll happen less and less with practice, particularly when you start exam revision. That's where marking your own responses (or getting somebody else to) becomes really important. Answering a question, and then making sure that you answered it correctly, is a really good revision tool. :)

Sunset.T

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 10:26:34 am »
+2
What gives you that impression?

You're near the top of your cohort, you clearly have a solid understanding of the course, and you want to do well. I seriously think you're in a fantastic position; there's no need to cast such doubt!

I know it's hard to know how you're really going etc. But really, you're doing all you possibly could be doing right now. :)

A couple of things:
* Regardless, it sounds as though you're near the top of your cohort?
* You don't need to hold rank one to score a 50

What you feel is perfectly valid - I was pissed when I dropped marks in HHD, too. But again, a few things to consider (which I should have considered more thoughtfully in Year 12):
* The difference between 88% and 100% was probably, what, a few marks?
* You did very well compared to your cohort - and that's ultimately what VCAA cares about most
* There's absolutely no way known that an 88% SAC "completely blew things" for you; ultimately, the difference in that one SAC between 88% and 100% will be negligible if anything

I wouldn't take too much notice of finishing last - again, I was exactly the same haha. I actually took comfort in it, because it made me feel like I was considering each question in greater depth than everybody else.

Regarding second guessing yourself, why do you think that is? I reckon it'll happen less and less with practice, particularly when you start exam revision. That's where marking your own responses (or getting somebody else to) becomes really important. Answering a question, and then making sure that you answered it correctly, is a really good revision tool. :)

I guess you are right! I think I should just keep trying harder than I am and hope for the best! I guess I'm also lucky because my hhd teacher is also an examiner and so I guess she knows exactly how we should be writing our answers and stuff based on what she would expect to see in the exams she marks and she is actually a very harsh marker which is also awesome to help me write the best answers I can. So I think I'm definitely getting tons of opportunity to really aim high. Even now I'm not working as hard as I could be so I think I should be more hopeful haha.

Thank you for your responses! Great help (:

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 10:28:55 am »
+2
For the record, I got a 50, and was in a very similar situation. I got 100% (possibly dropped a mark here or there) in all my SACs but my NHPAs SAC, in which I got 87%.  It was just one SAC where I made a few random, obvious mistakes, and I never did that again.  (As stated, ranks matter more than marks as such, but just showing a similar pattern).

I think you're in a perfectly good position if you keep working and focusing on how to eliminate mistakes. :)
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 10:32:59 am »
+3
I guess you are right! I think I should just keep trying harder than I am and hope for the best! I guess I'm also lucky because my hhd teacher is also an examiner and so I guess she knows exactly how we should be writing our answers and stuff based on what she would expect to see in the exams she marks and she is actually a very harsh marker which is also awesome to help me write the best answers I can. So I think I'm definitely getting tons of opportunity to really aim high. Even now I'm not working as hard as I could be so I think I should be more hopeful haha.

Thank you for your responses! Great help (:

Having an assessor as your teacher/marker is a great bonus. :)

I am supremely confident in you! If you want to clarify anything, make sure you ask content-related questions here. You can also ask, like, how to structure responses, and stuff like that. :) We have a few 50ers floating around - even evidenced by this thread thus far. :D

gemmaruffin

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 06:13:37 pm »
+3
I'm in year 11 and I am currently doing 3/4 hhd. So far we have completed 4 SACs. I got 100% on the first SAC, I dropped one mark on the second, the third I got 88% (I was severely underprepared due to mental health lmao), and my most recent one I got 100%. My goal this year was to get 100% on all the SACs but I guess crap happens. Anyway so I'm aiming to get 100% on the remaining 2 SACs obviously. If I did get 100%, and then got 100% on my exam, do you reckon I could get that 50? My friends and I get the top marks on SACs I believe, but I'm the only one that has gotten 100% twice (I think, I could be wrong though). Also how hard would it be achieving 100% on the exam? I have a very good memory, I memorise definitions word for word very quickly and all that. I think I'm mostly concerned about the time. I tend to write incredibly long detailed answers to make sure I get ever mark, I often write a paragraph for a question only worth 2 marks. I'm concerned that with this method I will run out of time and not answer every question. Any tips?

You're doing amazing! Keep up the good work!
Seeing that I got 96/100 for Unit 3 and 99/100 for Unit 4, and was rank 3/4ish, and got a 49, I think you're in with a really good shot.
Now is game time to really hone in on your skills and make sure you're studying hard!
In terms of the mental health, I was in the same boat too. Just try to breathe during your sacs (I'd take a second after each question), and remember, this is only one subject. You've got 3,4, or 5 next year that can help you if things don't work out, but I believe you will do very well. :)
2016 - HHD (49)
2017 - Bio (41), Chem, Italian, English (43), Methods

Happy to help out with any HHD questions, and remember - there is life after VCE :)

gisele

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 05:46:02 pm »
+5
Hello there, I just wanted to second Joseph41, heids, and gemmaruffin's posts :P
You're doing extremely well. I was averaging i think ~88% in Unit 3 and wasn't rank 1 in my cohort until mid-way through unit 4. In the end, I got a 50 + premier's in HHD. (Also, fun fact: the highest mark in the exam last year was 96%, so you don't need to get 100% or even high 90's in the exam necessarily for a 50).

With the 'writing long paragraphs for 2 mark questions' thing, I was exactly the same. If you can write fast, that's fine. Ohterwise, it might be worth starting to practise writing more succinctly (i.e. only put down what is relevant and going to get you the marks). It took some time to practise this, but it worked really well for me (allowed me to finish the exam just on time ::)).

Don't give up. If you keep putting the effort in, you can be sure that you'll score well :)

Sunset.T

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 08:29:06 pm »
+1
Thank you for all your responses! Very helpful and insightful and giving me more hope and belief in myself haha!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 10:58:17 am »
+1
Thank you for all your responses! Very helpful and insightful and giving me more hope and belief in myself haha!

We've got your back!

HHD fam. <3

sillybilly123

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 08:25:25 pm »
hi,
i know its been ages since this post but i was wondering how you ended up doing?
if you don't want to publicly announce it, thats fine HAHA
but your sac marks were very good so i just want to know if you got that 50 or not
thank you:)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 08:28:44 am »
hi,
i know its been ages since this post but i was wondering how you ended up doing?
if you don't want to publicly announce it, thats fine HAHA
but your sac marks were very good so i just want to know if you got that 50 or not
thank you:)

For what it's worth, raw SAC marks don't mean too much - including in content-heavy subjects like Health & Human Development. The reason for this is that SACs and marking leniency change from school to school, so it's very difficult to compare.

Are you studying HHD at the moment? Hope you're loving it if so! :)