Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:32:14 pm

Author Topic: Building a resilient headspace!  (Read 21709 times)

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
Re: Building a resilient headspace!
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2019, 03:40:58 pm »
+4
12/11/19 - This is the day I have been looking forward to. Not much else needs to be said.

It hasn't quite sunk in yet, but I am soaking up every last bit of liberation. All of my VCE exams are now finished.

P.S. This is an unpopular view, but I avoid talking about exams where possible. As I said, it's fruitless. It doesn't help anyone. It will likely do more harm than good for my headspace, so please respect that. Thanks.

You're free from the system! Congratulations on completing your VCE, that's awesome. So now that you have free time, what are you going to do?

I feel the exact same way about post exam talk, one there is no point, and two, it can make me a bit anxious. To be honest, I can't even remember many questions or what I wrote for them on the exams  ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 05:02:36 pm by Geoo »
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2019, 05:08:50 pm »
+2
Do you have any plans for your break JR? ;D Is there anything you've been wanting to do for ages that you finally can now?

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2019, 09:43:35 pm »
+4
Today, my mum told me to "Get off [my] computer and do something else". Like what though? Go outside in the (ironically) freezing cold? Ugh.

Do you have any plans for your break JR? ;D Is there anything you've been wanting to do for ages that you finally can now?

I'm waiting to hear back from a charity shop for which I applied to volunteer, other than that I'm waiting on my tax file number to arrive. And to be truthful, there isn't really anything that I've been "wanting to do for ages that I can finally do now", because I've been watching hours upon hours of non-academic related YouTube content all year, even during the exam period. And now I only have more time do that. But it does get tedious after a while, as all things do.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2019, 09:50:11 pm »
+2
Today, my mum told me to "Get off [my] computer and do something else". Like what though? Go outside in the (ironically) freezing cold? Ugh.

I'm waiting to hear back from a charity shop for which I applied to volunteer, other than that I'm waiting on my tax file number to arrive. And to be truthful, there isn't really anything that I've been "wanting to do for ages that I can finally do now", because I've been watching hours upon hours of non-academic related YouTube content all year, even during the exam period. And now I only have more time do that. But it does get tedious after a while, as all things do.
Do you have a job? If not, why not try applying to some places so that you can earn so mula ;D

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2019, 08:26:26 am »
+9
12/12/19

To put it simply, my results were disheartening. I was quite far off reaching the required ATAR for my first preference (is 8 points off considered to be far?), and I'm 99.9% sure that my ATAR won't be enough to get into any of the courses that I put on my preference list and submitted to VTAC. I don't know what my next course of action is.

I have a lot of options, but I'm just not aware of them right now. And by the way, I gave up on trying to get into medicine several months ago. Psychology is what I'm looking at now.

And even if I somehow get into uni, my study habits need a lot, and I mean a lot, of work. I simply gave up on studying at the crucial moment (i.e. I basically barely studied in the last 3 weeks before the start of the exam period). I thoroughly disliked 3 of my subjects throughout the whole year, and I don't even feel bad for not studying for these exams. I guess what gave me comfort in the post-exam/pre-results period was that I gave it 110% in each of my exams. I guess relying on that alone wasn't enough.

Give me a few hours to let this sink in. And then I'll eventually forget about it.

Sorry for depressing you all. Love you all.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2019, 09:16:26 am »
+10
12/12/19

To put it simply, my results were disheartening. I was quite far off reaching the required ATAR for my first preference (is 8 points off considered to be far?), and I'm 99.9% sure that my ATAR won't be enough to get into any of the courses that I put on my preference list and submitted to VTAC. I don't know what my next course of action is.

I have a lot of options, but I'm just not aware of them right now. And by the way, I gave up on trying to get into medicine several months ago. Psychology is what I'm looking at now.

And even if I somehow get into uni, my study habits need a lot, and I mean a lot, of work. I simply gave up on studying at the crucial moment (i.e. I basically barely studied in the last 3 weeks before the start of the exam period). I thoroughly disliked 3 of my subjects throughout the whole year, and I don't even feel bad for not studying for these exams. I guess what gave me comfort in the post-exam/pre-results period was that I gave it 110% in each of my exams. I guess relying on that alone wasn't enough.

Give me a few hours to let this sink in. And then I'll eventually forget about it.

Sorry for depressing you all. Love you all.

There's no need to apologise for sharing something that has impacted your VCE experience in your VCE journal. In fact, thank you for letting us know and keeping us updated.

If figuring out your plan B today helps you feel free to pursue that - if you send me your results or post them where I can see them I'm happy to look up courses and pathways for you. I'll be at Monash change day tomorrow and there's a bunch of other expos like that you can go to if you want to talk through it with someone. You can also of course do the internet research yourself option or with others if that's what would help you most.

However, if right now you are too overwhelmed and caught in the emotions of it all that's ok. These feelings will subside in time but right now there's a decent chance they're intense and complicated. Be kind to yourself. This doesn't define you.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2019, 09:38:41 pm »
+5
Sorry to hear that you weren't super happy with your results JR! There are so many pathways to wherever you want to end up. Best of luck finding something that works for you! Please keep us updated! <3

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2019, 09:49:38 am »
+7
20/12/19

please don't hate on me for this
I got an offer to study Psychological Studies at Victoria University in Footscray. I am apparently dumb. Yet I accepted and enrolled with zero hesitation.

In a forum in which a fair amount of users got an offer to study at Monash or the Uni of Melbourne, well I'm going against the norm here aren't I? Neither Monash nor Melbourne were on my VTAC preferences. I don't know why people hate on VU. Even as I type this, I can imagine students that go to other universities making fun of VU's inferiority. It can't be THAT bad, can it? I can't pass judgement on the uni, as I've never been there. Neither can any other non-VU student.

University ranking/prestige means next to nothing to prospective employers, right? (Then again, VU claims they're ranked in the top 2% of unis in the world)

I suppose I'll make a uni journal, as VU students are extremely underrepresented on AN.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2019, 09:56:31 am »
+6
20/12/19

please don't hate on me for this
I got an offer to study Psychological Studies at Victoria University in Footscray. I am apparently dumb. Yet I accepted and enrolled with zero hesitation.

In a forum in which a fair amount of users got an offer to study at Monash or the Uni of Melbourne, well I'm going against the norm here aren't I? Neither Monash nor Melbourne were on my VTAC preferences. I don't know why people hate on VU. Even as I type this, I can imagine students that go to other universities making fun of VU's inferiority. It can't be THAT bad, can it? I can't pass judgement on the uni, as I've never been there. Neither can any other non-VU student.

University ranking/prestige means next to nothing to prospective employers, right? (Then again, VU claims they're ranked in the top 2% of unis in the world)

I suppose I'll make a uni journal, as VU students are extremely underrepresented on AN.

My mum studied at VU and was got a grad job at PWC (the top firm internationally and within Australia [at the time] for the field she studied).

Going to VU doesn't mean you're dumb or that you won't be a competitive jobseeker as a graduate.

In my experience, I have seen many occasions where Monash students make fun of UniMelb students and vice versa but haven't seen that directed to VU.

Congratulations on your offer and I look forward to reading your uni journey journal! :D

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2019, 07:31:02 pm »
+1
Congrats on your offer! I think that psychology would suit you! Please keep us updated with a Uni journal. I would love to hear about how you find the subject structure (completing only one at a time). It's certainly an interesting model. Best of luck for the future! ;D