Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:00:50 am

Author Topic: Going to a select entry school (My Honest Thoughts)  (Read 374 times)  Share 

turtlebanana

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
Going to a select entry school (My Honest Thoughts)
« on: December 12, 2019, 07:19:05 pm »
+7
Hi everyone, i thought it would be nice to provide my own insight on attending a select entry school. Take it with a grain of salt if you want to, but i feel like a lot of people could take some value out of my own experience.

Like everyone, i sat the entrance exam in year 8 - but i failed. But i didn't give up and ended up getting in 2 years after that. I was awestruck, my dream finally came true, i thought everything would be tremendously better. I mean it was, but not to the extent i thought it would be.

With the advantages (of attending a select entry school) also came drawbacks. The benefit is of course - the education side of things. You are surrounded with an abundance of like-minded people who push you to work harder etc. The academic side of things - is just overall significantly better and designed in a way to help you achieve to a greater potential - as opposed to when i attended an ordinary local public high school .

One of the massive downfalls of this was location and travel time. And oh god - i overlooked this. It was TERRIBLE. I would spend an average of around 3 hours a day on public transport to and from the school. I would wake up at a gruelling 645am to catch the train and arrive home at 430-5pm.

It was just absolutely stressful. I didn't really see it then, but in hindsight - and in the long-term it definitely had significant mental tolls on me. On average, i would get 4-5 hours sleep. Coming back home at 5pm, i had little time to do everything - eat,shower,study etc... Don't get me wrong. Some people can cope well or still thrive even under these conditions - but i just didn't have the discipline required to excel in these conditions.

Looking back at it - do i regret the decision i made to move schools? My answer would be - absolutely not. I made so many new friends, and as a late-comer to a select entry school, i learnt how to get out of comfort zone and interact with others (an essential life skill) and just overall became an unbelivevably (is that even a word?) better version of myself.

If anyone is considering attending a select entry school, i strongly encourage you to consider the location and travel time. It had such an immense impact on me, and i would say that if you want to achieve the best academically (even though it is a select entry school) that it is NOT WORTH IT (I say this because i know if i just stayed at my previous school, i probably would have achieved closed to or higher than the ATAR i received today).

I don't even know what to write at this point.. i have so many thoughts and ideas that are coming and going - but i just wanted to get this out there and maybe help some people! If you guys have any questions, drop them below and i'll be happy to answer :)

Good luck, and i hope everyone is happy with their ATARs.

Thank you ATARNotes.

Signing out

-turtlebanana

« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 07:23:41 pm by turtlebanana »
2018: Business Management [44]

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Going to a select entry school (My Honest Thoughts)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 07:24:00 pm »
+3
Great insight,  time travel/stress/sleep is definitely something that isn't spoken enough about with regards to select schools.