Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 04:46:32 pm

Author Topic: Will This SAC Mark for Unit 3 Be Enough to Achieve a 40+?  (Read 2843 times)  Share 

Sarah P

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Will This SAC Mark for Unit 3 Be Enough to Achieve a 40+?
« on: July 24, 2015, 07:19:47 pm »
Hey, so for my Unit 3 SAC mark for Psychology I got a 94/100 (ranked third in school; 2 marks behind person in first) and I am wondering what SAC mark for Unit 4 you think should be minimum for me to achieve a study score above 40? Do you think it is still achievable?
2016 ATAR - 99.10

2015- Psychology [45]
2016- English [44]
          Media [50]
          Legal Studies [47 ]
          Physical Education [41]
          Mathematical Methods (CAS) [29]

And that was all she wrote...for now...

Jay.C

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +16
Re: Will This SAC Mark for Unit 3 Be Enough to Achieve a 40+?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:04:58 pm »
+1
Hey, so for my Unit 3 SAC mark for Psychology I got a 94/100 (ranked third in school; 2 marks behind person in first) and I am wondering what SAC mark for Unit 4 you think should be minimum for me to achieve a study score above 40? Do you think it is still achievable?
Hey!! Firstly congrats on the 94, that's an amazing effort and you should be proud of yourself for it! By my calculations your sitting on a high A for unit 3 which is really good! There is no way to concretely say get this and this and you will get a 40, as your overall study score can be effected by a whole lot of other suff, e.g strength of cohort, sac moderation ect... What I do know for certain though is that you still 100% have a chance of getting above 40!! Most people would aim for an A+ on unit 4 sacs for a 40+ SS however that does not mean if you don't get an A+ you won't get a 40. Aim to do as well as you can for unit 4 because so far you are doing fantastically!! However you would defiantly be wanting an A+ on the end of year exam to get you to the 40. Bottom line is keep working as hard as you can, know that 40 is still defiantly achievable and good luck!! 
Don't worry about scores that you can't change  because there are so many more productive things you could do

Looking for customisable high school tuition that fits your needs? Or maybe you're just looking for some help with a specific concept that doesn't require frequent tuition. Component Education has something to fit all students needs! https://www.facebook.com/componenteducation/ https://www.componenteducation.com.au/

Sarah P

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 11:08:41 am »
+1
Hey!! Firstly congrats on the 94, that's an amazing effort and you should be proud of yourself for it! By my calculations your sitting on a high A for unit 3 which is really good! There is no way to concretely say get this and this and you will get a 40, as your overall study score can be effected by a whole lot of other suff, e.g strength of cohort, sac moderation ect... What I do know for certain though is that you still 100% have a chance of getting above 40!! Most people would aim for an A+ on unit 4 sacs for a 40+ SS however that does not mean if you don't get an A+ you won't get a 40. Aim to do as well as you can for unit 4 because so far you are doing fantastically!! However you would defiantly be wanting an A+ on the end of year exam to get you to the 40. Bottom line is keep working as hard as you can, know that 40 is still defiantly achievable and good luck!!

Thank you so much for that! I'm definitely going to try as hard as I can to get an A+ in both the next Unit 4 SACs and the exam (even though I know it is going to be a LOT of work!)
2016 ATAR - 99.10

2015- Psychology [45]
2016- English [44]
          Media [50]
          Legal Studies [47 ]
          Physical Education [41]
          Mathematical Methods (CAS) [29]

And that was all she wrote...for now...

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 01:48:37 pm »
+3
Read up on how SAC scores and study scores work. Really. Because no-one can answer this question. With a tough teacher, good questions, a great cohort and good exam performance from everyone, a 60% can get you a 40 or more. With an easy marker, bad questions, a terrible cohort and bad exam performance from everyone, a 99% won't get you a 40.

Basically, you need to look at enough of a range of materials from across the state (including the VCAA assessment materials, definitely, but also work posted on this website, external tutors, textbooks, exam lectures, friends in other schools and in your own, etc) to get a feel for what the *average* quality is and what the average questions are - then you kind of make a judgment about where you think you're sitting. A good teacher or tutor etc can help with making that judgment.

But a SAC score is a result, and a study score is a ranking. So they're totally different measures. Just keep doing your best, and assuming you can always do better.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!