Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:17:15 am

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 847307 times)  Share 

SmartWorker

• Forum Obsessive
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +79
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #2505 on: September 28, 2019, 08:59:16 pm »
Hi there,

Any suggestions on how I can improve my grammar and punctuation + sentence flow and expression. Please link me to some guides or textbooks that may help with this. I am open to all methods and willing to try them.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.  :) :) :) :) :)
Advice to smash Biology ¾:

2021 VCE - 99.35

Tutoring Bio, Chem, English, Methods 1/2 & 3/4 for 2022. DM if interested

Want some advice for VCE? 👇

https://youtu.be/zq0xsaE9GJ4

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #2506 on: October 01, 2019, 07:48:01 pm »
+3
Hi there,

Any suggestions on how I can improve my grammar and punctuation + sentence flow and expression. Please link me to some guides or textbooks that may help with this. I am open to all methods and willing to try them.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.  :) :) :) :) :)
Hi there,
As with everything, grammar and punctuation come with practice. (So do sentence flow and expression, but let's focus on the first two for now). For me personally, I found reading as a past-time a useful way of building up an almost subconscious record of the do's and don't's. Whether it be fiction or a science textbook, just reading a little bit every day will help you improve your overall writings. As well as this, try to use correct punctuation and grammar in everything. If you don't already, try texting and emailing full words and sentences instead of abbreviating. Make it a habit to write everything in the most succinct and precise language possible.

Sentence flow and expression can be helped with the same method, but that's a fairly passive form of practice. In regards to essays and more structured writings, make sure that you are planning out the main ideas you have in mind beforehand, using topic sentences and doing your best to be as concise as possible. Also, this will sound strange, but have you ever tried watching a movie or video and writing down what the characters are saying? Sentence flow and expression can most easily be identified in natural, fluent speech - why not transcribe it and see what you come up with?

You can find plenty of links from universities and schools with advice on how to improve these things, but Khan Academy is a go-to for exercises and quizzes on more advanced concepts. In particular, they have a lesson plan on grammar.

Hope this helps! :))
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

EmadMo

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2507 on: October 03, 2019, 08:34:18 pm »
For Ransom and Invictus, I’m writing an essay on the importance of humility and was wondering if I could do a body Paragraph about how both Ransom and Invictus explore the dangers or detrimental impacts one faces when they lack humility. I was thinking about discussing Achilles and the National Sports Council but I’m not sure how I could link them to my point. Could someone help?

maryamalmufti

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2508 on: October 05, 2019, 04:06:42 am »
you could take about the "self- consuming rage" Achilles went through after what he did to hector as a detrimental impact. Not sure about the sports council though.

SmartWorker

• Forum Obsessive
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #2509 on: October 05, 2019, 06:45:37 pm »
Hi there,
As with everything, grammar and punctuation come with practice. (So do sentence flow and expression, but let's focus on the first two for now). For me personally, I found reading as a past-time a useful way of building up an almost subconscious record of the do's and don't's. Whether it be fiction or a science textbook, just reading a little bit every day will help you improve your overall writings. As well as this, try to use correct punctuation and grammar in everything. If you don't already, try texting and emailing full words and sentences instead of abbreviating. Make it a habit to write everything in the most succinct and precise language possible.

Sentence flow and expression can be helped with the same method, but that's a fairly passive form of practice. In regards to essays and more structured writings, make sure that you are planning out the main ideas you have in mind beforehand, using topic sentences and doing your best to be as concise as possible. Also, this will sound strange, but have you ever tried watching a movie or video and writing down what the characters are saying? Sentence flow and expression can most easily be identified in natural, fluent speech - why not transcribe it and see what you come up with?

You can find plenty of links from universities and schools with advice on how to improve these things, but Khan Academy is a go-to for exercises and quizzes on more advanced concepts. In particular, they have a lesson plan on grammar.

Hope this helps! :))

Thank you so much. I will definitely try Khan Academy.
Advice to smash Biology ¾:

2021 VCE - 99.35

Tutoring Bio, Chem, English, Methods 1/2 & 3/4 for 2022. DM if interested

Want some advice for VCE? 👇

https://youtu.be/zq0xsaE9GJ4

Otter

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2510 on: October 07, 2019, 10:01:20 am »
Would a block paragraph structure in the comparative section negatively impact the number of marks your essay receives? Is it better to weave between the two texts?

Just another student

• Forum Obsessive
  • School: Not telling
  • School Grad Year: 2019
« Reply #2511 on: October 11, 2019, 07:46:32 pm »
Hi AN
Can someone provide a a rough estimate of what I must get on the exam /60 for a 41-43 study score if I have sac scores of 80/100 and 75/100 (U3 & 4 respectively).

alanihale

• Forum Regular
  • i still haven't taken my L's yet :(
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #2512 on: October 13, 2019, 09:00:13 pm »
Does anyone have any idea in regards to what a middle, an upper and a high range script would be equal to out of 10?? (From VCAA exam reports)
Thanks,
2018 - Further Maths [44]
2019 - English [45] | Spesh [hahaha] | Methods [40] | Chem [41] | Bio [40]
Atar: 98.55

Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours) @ La Trobe

---
'Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard'

yourfriendlyneighbourhoodghost

• Forum Obsessive
  • sleep now and dream, study now and live your dream
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #2513 on: October 15, 2019, 08:25:19 am »
+1
Hi, I am struggling with how to approach 'how' text response prompts. For example, "How does Hitchcock create an atmosphere of suspicion in Rear Window?" How differently do I approach this to that of a discuss question?

If I were were to answer a prompt like that, I would be looking at the portrayals of suspicion, the structural elements that create suspicion, the dialogue and symbols. I hope that helps (:
2018: Studio Arts [37]
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]
ATAR: 87.95 ❤️

2020-2023 Bachelor of Arts @ Unimelb

yourfriendlyneighbourhoodghost

• Forum Obsessive
  • sleep now and dream, study now and live your dream
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #2514 on: October 15, 2019, 08:32:57 am »
Would a block paragraph structure in the comparative section negatively impact the number of marks your essay receives? Is it better to weave between the two texts?

Block is good for consolidating your understanding of the two texts before you undergo your comparison paragraph. I think this is a good method when praticising, but for me, more comparison would be permitted if the integrated approach was used, nevertheless, the block approach is better than nothing so definitely use that if you feel most comfortable with it.
2018: Studio Arts [37]
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]
ATAR: 87.95 ❤️

2020-2023 Bachelor of Arts @ Unimelb

angrybiscuit

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #2515 on: October 15, 2019, 11:52:07 am »
+2

It is absolutely important that you mention both texts in each of your paragraphs (at least this is what teachers have said.. not sure about vcaa markers). Also always have a 50:50 ratio when talking about texts in the paragraphs. It's okay to sometimes have a 20:80 ratio but you need to analyse both texts to a similar depth and degree. You wouldn't want an essay that largely focuses on one text only!
somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
carl sagan

Just another student

• Forum Obsessive
  • School: Not telling
  • School Grad Year: 2019
« Reply #2516 on: October 15, 2019, 05:51:19 pm »
+2
In general, can the analyzing argument essay be shorter than the other 2 essays? Around 700 words? As I have heard that analyzing fewer techniques with greater explanation and effect is better then a long, less analyzed essay.   

randomnobody69420

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2517 on: October 22, 2019, 01:13:09 pm »
How many comparisons per paragraph is ideal for comparative? Right now I usually put in one similarity and 2 differences, sometimes a comparison of author values at the end. Is 3-4 too little?

Matthew_Whelan

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #2518 on: October 22, 2019, 01:29:58 pm »
One insightful comparison is worth more than 10 meaningless comparisons, however, there should be a few at least.
2018: Psychology
2019: English, Methods, Chemistry, Biology, Physics
ATAR: 88.65

TheIllusion

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2519 on: October 24, 2019, 12:18:28 pm »
Hey all!!,
Currently doing some English prep.
I was told by one of my English teachers that I would not need to write an conclusion for any of the sections of the English exam.
What do you guys think?
2019: English 3/4, Further Mathematics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, Revolutions 3/4, Software Development 3/4

2020: ?