Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:28:54 pm

Author Topic: HSC Journey- From Prelims to HSC  (Read 51706 times)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: HSC Journey- From Prelims to HSC
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2018, 11:22:10 pm »
hey hey!!

i was exactly the same with all the lecturers at the AN meetups - it's so strange meeting people you know from the internet in real life! sometimes i'm still shocked i know them?? like i just wow hahahaha

as cliche as it sounds, year 12 goes by super fast. you probably won't believe it until you get to half yearlies, or maybe even after that, but time just flies. make the most of it - it's such a great year (albeit very stressful at times) :-)

all the best for the rest of the year!
Ahaha Year 11 was already stressful for me. Can't wait for school to start (note the sarcasm).

But I am looking forward to the fact that I'll be done by the end of the year- no more backstabbers, gossip, disorganised departments and teachers treating us like we're primary school kids.

Make the most of your 3+ month break! Your hard work has paid off :)
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2018, 11:55:43 pm »
Ahaha Year 11 was already stressful for me. Can't wait for school to start (note the sarcasm).

But I am looking forward to the fact that I'll be done by the end of the year- no more backstabbers, gossip, disorganised departments and teachers treating us like we're primary school kids.

Make the most of your 3+ month break! Your hard work has paid off :)

it'll only be stressful if you make it stressful :-) take it day by day, and the year will go so fast. i can definitely agree with you on the backstabbers and gossip; it's sort of gone after high school hahaha, although there will always be some of it.

definitely having a pretty chill break, and you chill out too! the holidays aren't made for studying (not going to lie i read all my english texts in the holidays... but still leave time for doing absolutely nothing!)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 06:23:44 am »
+4
On a side note: so my new math tutor is very unreliable at the moment so I'm math tutor hunting again- really difficult to find good ones that can teach 3U math so if you guys know anyone please let me know!
My english tutor is also kinda ditching me because she has internships this year (which is bad because she's capable of helping me in english, society & culture and modern history) so anyone who knows good english tutors please let me know!

Check our our tuition board here! :D
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2018, 04:45:46 pm »
+4
Hello there!
So there's less than a week until school starts and I feel like I'm very behind in everything. I just finished my physics notes but making them took longer than expected and I still need to update my study notes for English, SOR1, Modern History, SAC and Math. Should I just update my study notes or should I continue working on my Major Work? If I continue working on my Major Work, which one?

I'm also feeling a bit behind in my Major Work at the moment. At the moment for Society & Culture, I've contacted two sociologists who are experts in ethnic studies (both haven't responded to my emails ;-;), refined my questionnaire and have already annotated ten sources for my annotated bibliography. However, I need to do my content analysis (meaning that I have six movies to watch and take notes) and I need to send out my questionnaire. To any SAC students, where should I be up to at this moment? To me, I feel really behind.

As for History Extension, I've contacted three experts (two who have already responded to my questions), finished my proposal essay have already included around ten sources in my reference list. However, I have a long list of sources I need to sift through and take notes as well as read this book I've borrowed online and have been renewing it even though I've barely touched it. Where should I be up to in my project?

My motivation has been depleting as school gets closer. Hopefully I find motivation somewhere and finish all the things I need to do before school starts.

See you soon!

- Olivia
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2018, 06:19:11 pm »
+1
hi!! hope you're doing well. :-)

i'd probably do the notes first, because there's a huge sense of satisfaction in having them updated, and that will probably help with motivation.

as for major works, i have no experience there except for being a history extension drop out?? the sources take a very long time to go through; so don't be too worried if you feel like you're behind - it's the case for everyone. the essay is (apparently) easier to get through so you should be good if you start it at the end of term. can't say much about SAC, but beatroot should help you out there ;)

don't be too disheartened if you don't finish all the stuff you planned to do - motivation is hard to come by when you have so much to do, so don't do too much work at once, otherwise you'll tire out very easily.

all the best!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2018, 06:27:37 pm »
+2
Hello there!
So there's less than a week until school starts and I feel like I'm very behind in everything. I just finished my physics notes but making them took longer than expected and I still need to update my study notes for English, SOR1, Modern History, SAC and Math. Should I just update my study notes or should I continue working on my Major Work? If I continue working on my Major Work, which one?

I'm also feeling a bit behind in my Major Work at the moment. At the moment for Society & Culture, I've contacted two sociologists who are experts in ethnic studies (both haven't responded to my emails ;-;), refined my questionnaire and have already annotated ten sources for my annotated bibliography. However, I need to do my content analysis (meaning that I have six movies to watch and take notes) and I need to send out my questionnaire. To any SAC students, where should I be up to at this moment? To me, I feel really behind.

Coming from someone who did two major works during their HSC, they are the priority at the moment! They're due first! It's gonna be harder to work on them whilst you are studying for your subjects back in the classroom context. However don't neglect your study notes to the point where you don't study at all. As for right now, I think the ratio for the work put towards your major and your study notes should be 65:35 or 60:40.

(And coming from someone who actually did a PIP during their HSC ;) ) You are making great progress!! Seriously you should be proud of yourself for brainstorming and getting your primary research done! At this rate you should just work on your questionnaire and get it posted ASAP. Also definitely get your secondary research done because this will help you build your central material whilst you are awaiting answers for your questionnaire and the two sociologists (who I hope will) respond to your email. If it makes you feel better, I didn't start my questionnaire until end of Feb and didn't start my central material until March (was one of the the last ones to start). But I still ended up finishing first in the class (submitted my PIP 4 days before the due date). As long as you keep persevering, you can do it! :) I felt I was motivated for my PIP the more primary research methods I got done and more chapters I submitted to my teacher.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2018, 05:07:06 pm »
+3
Hey guys!
So yesterday I was losing a bit of motivation but my mood got lifted when one of the historiographers I contacted responded to my email and answered my question! He was really nice about his responses and very understanding towards the fact that I am a high school student and still a bit new to coming up with questions. And his responses were very detailed so it's safe to say that I have someone to quote in my History Extension project.

On the other hand, I recently posted my SAC questionnaire on AN forums and the Facebook Discussion page. I'm probably a bit impatient but I keep refreshing my page to see if there are any new responses xD. I kinda got a bit sad because there were two people who weren't really responding properly. One of them was alright because I could at least get an opinion from their response but the other participant kinda started questioning the questions so I couldn't get an opinion. I started getting self-conscious over my own questions even though my teacher and the AN community are really happy with my questions (I'm sorry I'm weak). To any SAC students, is it common to find these kinds of people when you were gathering responses? I'm trying to not let that get me down since I've seen someone recite Disney song lyrics in another person's questionnaire.

Anyways, see you soon!

- Olivia
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 05:39:33 pm by owidjaja »

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2018, 10:22:27 pm »
Hey guys!
So yesterday I was losing a bit of motivation but my mood got lifted when one of the historiographers I contacted responded to my email and answered my question! He was really nice about his responses and very understanding towards the fact that I am a high school student and still a bit new to coming up with questions. And his responses were very detailed so it's safe to say that I have someone to quote in my History Extension project.

On the other hand, I recently posted my SAC questionnaire on AN forums and the Facebook Discussion page. I'm probably a bit impatient but I keep refreshing my page to see if there are any new responses xD. I kinda got a bit sad because there were two people who weren't really responding properly. One of them was alright because I could at least get an opinion from their response but the other participant kinda started questioning the questions so I couldn't get an opinion. I started getting self-conscious over my own questions even though my teacher and the AN community are really happy with my questions (I'm sorry I'm weak). To any SAC students, is it common to find these kinds of people when you were gathering responses? I'm trying to not let that get me down since I've seen someone recite Disney song lyrics in another person's questionnaire.

Anyways, see you soon!

- Olivia

Hi Olivia!

When I was reading through your posts, all that I could think of was that you must be super busy! Coming from a person who chose NO humanities or major work subjects, it does sound like you have made a lot of progress this holidays! I encourage you to make sure you have some relaxation these last few days before school is back - it's completely okay to take a break for as much time as you need if you are feeling overwhelmed.  :) Most importantly, do what you need to get yourself in the right frame of mind for this term...If it makes you feel less stressed and more motivated to continue motoring on through the last of the holiday work, then go for it! But try not to overwork yourself before school starts back... Remember, the HSC is an endurance event, not a sprint.  ;D
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2018, 11:07:54 pm »

Anyways, see you soon!

- Olivia

It's definitely common to see people who give out a ~meh~ answer to your survey. I definitely had a couple of them in my survey. It was a pain but this made the whole analysing part easier because this extra time I could've had reading their answers, I could proceed to reading actual and useful responses to the survey. I had a couple of girls in my SAC class who were attacked by some of their survey participants. One girl did her topic on 'white privilege' and I kid you not, at least five people had a go at her. Another girl got a response saying 'how dare you steal my topic!'. There was one girl who did her PIP on body images and one survey participant said 'I identify as a mayonnaise'.

Completely normal if you get responses that aren't up to standard. You can always talk about this in the log part of your PIP :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2018, 06:52:51 pm »
+4
Hey guys!
So yesterday I was in a low mood but today I FINALLY FINISHED MY ENGLISH NOTES! Well, not everything, just my notes on The Tempest. I think I should do my content analysis for SAC but I really want to make notes for my related text. I'll have to marathon the movies for my SAC content analysis tonight and hopefully finish before tomorrow so I can practice my English speech.

Hopefully, school doesn't bombard me too much on the first week of school (I start on Wednesday) so that can give me a chance to finish my notes for SOR, SAC and Modern (I don't think I'll have time to make notes for Math so I'll just focus on doing practice questions).

Short post today because I barely ate today so I can finish my English notes lol.

Anyways, see you soon!

- Olivia

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2018, 10:38:24 pm »
+4
i was exactly the same with all the lecturers at the AN meetups - it's so strange meeting people you know from the internet in real life! sometimes i'm still shocked i know them?? like i just wow hahahaha

I know I'm late to this post but YES! It's so weird to think that I got to talk to Susie about drama in real life not just over the forums, but what I find the most bizzare is going up to everyone and being like "hi I'm potatohater" and getting responses of "I'm fantasticbeasts3" or "I'm blasonduo" etc. haha

Hey guys!
So yesterday I was in a low mood but today I FINALLY FINISHED MY ENGLISH NOTES! Well, not everything, just my notes on The Tempest. I think I should do my content analysis for SAC but I really want to make notes for my related text. I'll have to marathon the movies for my SAC content analysis tonight and hopefully finish before tomorrow so I can practice my English speech.

Hopefully, school doesn't bombard me too much on the first week of school (I start on Wednesday) so that can give me a chance to finish my notes for SOR, SAC and Modern (I don't think I'll have time to make notes for Math so I'll just focus on doing practice questions).

Short post today because I barely ate today so I can finish my English notes lol.

Anyways, see you soon!

- Olivia

OMG you finished your English notes! I applaud you! My English notes in all honesty never got finished - they were just random bits of info everywhere and mostly a massive mess. Hopefully you get time to work on the other subjects, just do a bit every day or so even and you'll get there for sure!

Good luck starting the 2nd quarter of year 12!  :)
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2018, 09:21:15 pm »
+3
Hey guys!
So the realisation just hit that school is starting on Wednesday and my paranoia over my holiday homework has struck. I finished my Modern history essay weeks ago (and Susie is already cool with it) and then I see the messages in my Modern class group chat. I spent half of the day frantically asking them to make sure I did everything the best I could because my teacher is really pedantic over everything (e.g. double spacing, size font etc.) and she included on the Google doc what information to include. I wasn't sure if I did my essay right because I divided my paragraphs into social, economic, political and cultural (since the essay question was on the impacts of WW1 on women in Britain) and one of the other guys did one paragraph per dot point (since the list of information to include was in dot points). Personally, I found it a bit strange to do one dot point per paragraph because how do I dedicate one whole paragraph about social class? I don't know, I'm kinda freaking out that I did my essay wrong and I even checked the essay marking criteria (yes, my teacher said this was just holiday homework but has set out a marking criteria) and it didn't really say if there was a specific number of paragraphs needed for the essay. My teacher isn't even gonna be here in Term 1!

Anyway, I spent the whole day marathoning the movies I needed to watch for my SAC content analysis. I only had three of the movies I needed to watch so I only could watch them (and my Internet died on my so RIP data). I guess I should also update my logbook for SAC and History Extension since I was kinda lazy to walk to my printer and I realised I had to pay to print at the local library (I didn't have to walk to my main printer since it relied on Wi-Fi. I'm a spoilt child. Sue me). And then I just realised I forgot to add the date I viewed the websites in my reference list so I have to fix that up -_-.

On the other hand, I feel really happy (and validated) when ATAR Notes shared my image on their Instagram (and gave them permission of course!). I'm just hoping that people get a bit more motivated. Obviously, I've been feeling a little down recently but I'm starting to pick things up again. It's funny because in the caption they (idk who moderates the Insta account lol) mentioned my UNSW pamphlet. I've never realised that has been keeping me motivated this whole time even though those pamphlets have been sitting on my desk for over a year xD. (Maybe I should start a studyblr thread in the AN forums ;D).

Anyways, see you soon!

- Olivia

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2018, 04:26:14 pm »
Aw man, I completely feel you haha! I did all my holiday homework literally 2 days before school started and I'm pretty sure I did more in those days than I did my entire holidays. I feel super guilty because I know heaps of people who had already completed their syllabus notes and shit - like what the actual fuck?? Haha you should totally start a study blog or whatever they're called, I find them so aesthetically pleasing to look at... though ironically they often fuel my procrastination haha! Good luck with everything :)
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2018, 04:15:00 pm »
+3
Hey guys!
So... the inevitable first day of school just passed and there have been so many changes to the school it was kinda unsettling lol. I knew we were gonna have a new AP but a new principal kinda sprung up on us since they revealed that our previous principal would move after school ended. The thing about our AP and principal was that they were both so chill and approachable you could just hang out and talk to them forever at lunch. The new principal and AP though... I don't know, they feel like your traditional teachers where they set this relationship of: "I'm the teacher, you're the student" and keep a strong barrier between them. Sure, there is a difference in terms of hierarchy but a likeable teacher is someone who can maintain this strong dynamic with the student. Keeping up a barrier will make it difficult for a lot of students to accept new teachers. I don't know, that's just my reflections on teachers.

Speaking of teachers, I GOT A DIFFERENT MATH TEACHER!! I'm so excited because my new teacher was the teacher I really wanted for math. My previous math teacher (if you haven't read in my previous posts) is horrible at teaching, and this is a class consensus not just me being that one hater in the class. She gave me so much anxiety because she was always so unsure when she would teach but thankfully, we have a different teacher. My older sister actually had my current teacher for General Maths and she was really happy with him because he was so passionate about teaching maths and just learning in general. And a passionate teacher is always a great teacher. The happier they are with their job, the more willing they are to teach and give us support. So yeah, I'm happy with this change because he is really approachable and organised. I am a bit concerned about his ability to teach the 3U content because one of my friends asked him a perms and combs question last year during her study period and he was unsure how to answer it. I would assume that over the holidays, he would've revisited the 3U content to make sure he was prepared for us- and I wouldn't doubt that about him because he enjoys learning.

Another new teacher I have is a new Modern History teacher. I knew we were getting a new teacher for modern because my usual teacher gave us a head's up that she will be on leave for Term 1. I was a bit concerned but when I googled the name of my new teacher... boy was he qualified to teach. I love my usual teacher because she's so pedantic and although that stresses me out, it also gives me a sense of calmness in the sense that I can trust her for giving me feedback because she likes to give feedback. But this new teacher, he has a PhD in History! I was amused because we have a high achieving academic teaching at a kinda-broke private school lol. He did tell me that he has written journal articles so I'm gonna try and dig for his journal articles lol.

With the first day of school comes marks for our first assessment. Math I kinda knew my mark because my teacher emailed it to us over the holidays. I kinda knew I wasn't gonna do as best as I wanted to because the 3U exam was my last exam and I was already exhausted with the whole year just gone by. Sure, I'm always disappointed at myself in math but I really want to bring up my math marks, and to be honest, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with my study; I do every question in my homework exercises, I actually do my homework, I ask my teacher questions and do past papers. Should there be anything I should change in my studying habits? If anyone who has suggestions please let me know!

I also got my physics prac exam back. I was dreading it because throughout prelim year, I would just pass physics when physics was the one subject that I really prepared for. I knew the syllabus back to front and contributed often to the class but my marks wouldn't show that. My physics teacher thinks that I get stressed during the exams, hindering my problem solving skills- sounds reasonable because my teacher has seen me numerous times breaking down after my exams (not as bad as tunnel vision but usually hyperventilation and just plain sobbing). But I actually didn't do as bad as I thought. I managed to come 2nd in my exam. I kinda got annoyed at the guy who came first because he's very arrogant and likes to look down on people, especially in math. But I'm in the process of scabbing marks so I'm hoping my teacher can give me the two extra marks lol.

My modern marks were also given back. I already knew how I went in the multiple choice because my teacher went through it last year but I was concerned with my short answers. I also felt under pressure with my marks because throughout prelim year, I managed to hold onto my 1st rank- but I shouldn't depend on my prelim ranks because they determine nothing. When I got my paper back, I found that I lost marks in my source analysis, except her comments were more on making my responses a bit more nuanced- personally, I'm not sure if that comment is worth deducting two marks because throughout my response, she had a few ticks and 'greats' here and there. But I still maintained my 1st place so I'm kinda content with that.

So yeah, first day back at school. I have an English speech due next Monday so I really need to cut down my analyses. My post is a bit disorganised, probably because my mind is all over the place at the moment.

Anyways, seen you soon!

- Olivia

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2018, 04:31:11 pm »
+4
Aye, congrats on surviving another day of year 12! Whew.

In terms of improving your maths marks, there may be a couple of reasons why:

First and foremost: are you confident with the content itself? Is it too difficult to wrap your head around? Usually, they are the first indication of why you may have a mark that is undesirable, but don't worry! You've got the whole year to bring that up. If this is you, then go back to different varieties of question. Challenge yourself, and do the harder questions from the textbook rather than sticking with the questions at the beginning. A good way to do questions from the textbook is to do the last two columns or do every third question. This allows you to be efficient with your study, and you're not constantly attempting questions you definitely can do in the exam. You could always go back and attempt more questions if you don't feel comfortable.

Secondly, do you feel anxious when you walk into the exam? You may have a good foundation, but that all becomes redundant if you freak out during the exam. If this is you, then take a few deep breaths and control your breathing before you begin your exam. Make sure you're feeling relaxed. During the exam, don't slouch your back or lean towards the table. Your body language signifies your anxiety level, and you don't do as well because there's too many things happening at once in your mind. Have a nice posture; don't grip your pens too hard, and just do the questions. :) Perhaps, take note of how you're breathing as well, and make the conscious decision to slow down and control that breathing. You'll feel a lot better when you do.

Thirdly, make a note of where you're constantly losing marks. Is it a specific topic, or are they just silly mistakes? Do you forget to add the "+C"? Write these mistakes into a journal or notebook, and keep adding to it when you get an assessment or exam back. Look over them before an exam, so you don't make that same mistake. Write in different coloured pens to help you visualise it in the exam. This helps to understand specifically where you're going wrong, and by constantly reminding yourself of these mistakes, you'll slowly and consciously omit them from the actual exams and the HSC exam.

Hopefully, these were helpful to you in some way haha.