Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:17:39 am

Author Topic: The End of an Era  (Read 5905 times)

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
Re: The last 8 (and a bit) weeks of HSC
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 09:05:22 pm »
+4
So today was the day of the mock paper. My friend and I, (who I will call V in the spirit of the art of travel hehe) got a bit lost and turned up half an hour late. We were at the right platform in time and everything but V looked up the tracks in the opposite direction of our train, panicked, heard it was going to Hornsby and told me that was out train, so we ran to the other platform and made it onto the train. Turns out the train was going to Hornsby, but via the city which is totally the wrong direction. We realised this after we got on the train and had to get off at the next stop and go back, meaning we missed our express train. As if that didn't make us late enough we also got lost because the two of us can't agree how to read a map (can I just say I was right, I am the geo nerd afterall) when we got there there was only a single table to share which was a bit squishy and meant we could see each others work and talk so the exam conditions illusion was completley shattered. We still got the full amount of time though at least. I found the questions quite nice to answer despite my incomplete mod C preperation, I hope the HSC questions are as good as those ones but I know I can't rely on that so will still need to prep more, however I do think it was a confidence boost for sure.
We then procrastinated in the shopping centre for a bit too long...

This afternoon I've been trying to work on my creative but am kinda getting nowhere. I have ideas, but they are either so conceptual and vauge I don't know how to turn it into a plot, or I have a plot but can't excecute it how I would like. The creative is my time to shine but right now I ain't doing much shining on the paper. I do have creatives I've written in the past but I'm worried about either being too personal or too stereotypical, and my trial one didn't do as well as I thought it would. I have some ambitious ideas and/or good concepts but not enough time to excecute them. Arrgh why did I leave my AOS prep so late!? Especially the creative!

3 days to go....

Until next time, Taylor  :)
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 09:55:30 pm »
+5
Wow, havnt updated in a while cause I was so caught up in everything - so much has happened but I'll TRY to keep it as short and sweet as possible
16th October - English paper 1
Meh, it was alright, I did what I could and hopefully I'll get a average to high mark - hopefully I can scape into band 5 range
17th October - English paper 2
Better than paper 1 although my Gatsby paragraph on infidelity for mod A was a mess, as was the Art of travel paragraph for the unease caused by a landscape. For Hamlet I forgot some quotes, particularly in the procrastination paragraph which had no textual evidence whoops.... The play is riddled with inaction yet I couldn't think of any at the time - naturally they all came back to be the next day ugh!
23rd October - Genny Maths
Pretty damn good as far as I'm aware of right now I only mucked up the beers and the jewellery box but could be a few more errors idk of yet. I'm annoyed about the jewlery box though cause I know how to do it but after reading "the cube of h" my brain thought "let's square root it!" Gosh damnit Taylor!
25th October - Biology
Best exam yet! I knew the answer to every question, now it just comes down to how well I answered them. People kept leaving during the exam though which made me nervous.
31st October - Geography
My best subject yet I feel meh about the exam. I think I probably actually did well but I feel like the questions didn't really give the oppotunity to show off as much as I would have liked. I think my extended responses also kinda got a bit waffely but hopefully my points still come across well enough. I didn't get time to check over any answers which is also annoying so hopefully I didn't make any silly mistakes. Regardless of how I go externally I've been getting over 90% internally so I know I'm good at geo - one exam isn't going to change that.
7th November - Drama
Future results still in the making  ;)

Edit from 7th November: Drama was good! They don't give enough time to write everything which is a shame so my arm died and got covered in ink (I'm a right hander, we can get inky hands too!). Overall I hope the mess gives way to present something beautiful to the markers. So yeah, quite happy with my performance  :)

So yeah there's my relitavley quick summary of the past 3 4 very hectic weeks
Until next time,
Taylor  ;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 04:11:28 pm by Potatohater »
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 09:06:18 pm »
+3
Today I spent most of the day looking for a formal dress instead of studying, whoops..... Oh well at least I have one that actually fits me now.

Other than that I only wrote 2 3/4 ish essays and read some example paragraphs. I don't know why but despite having the past week to solely focus on drama I can't seem to get myself to stress enough to get my ass into gear. I feel like the fact that it's only 40% of external marking and I already know everything (I think) from my trial study, I've approached it in a bit too chill of a manner. Sure my trial marks of 17/20 for both essays is good but I should really have been using this time to get them to 20/20 - and I've been too relaxed to do so, argh!
Hopefully tomorrow I'll finally realise how close it is and actually enact the plan I've just made for myself: to pretend it's a school day and write one essay every period, then finish the day off with a full past paper. Hopefully it won't be too torturous since I love the subject and actually care about what I'm writing for once (unlike English)

Let's see how that goes then hey?
Until next time, Taylor :P
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 09:43:32 pm by Potatohater »

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 04:05:55 pm »
+6
FINALLY FINISHED!!

I can't believe it! It's nice knowing I can relax and not feel guilty about study but at the same time I still haven't gotten my head around the fact there's nothing to study for! I feel like I should be  to whipping up a biology video to watch as I eat my belated lunch and start doing some school work, as that has been the routine for so long now, but there is nothing to do. I keep saying I'll do "this, this and this" after the HSC but I never actually kept track and now the 4 month holiday is here I don't even know where to start. I'm sure I'll find enough to keep me occupied though. I think today I should pack for camping, some other little house keeping tasks and look for a new job, but yeah, it's all so strange. I reckon I'll keep this journal going up until ATAR release because I feel like that is the moment year 12 truly ends.

See you all tomorrow (to those coming to the meet up)!

Until next time,
Taylor  ;D

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 04:23:37 pm »
Congrats Taylor!!  ;D
See you tomorrow  :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 04:26:57 pm »
congrats on finishing!!!!!

see you tomorrow :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 05:47:14 pm »
congrats!!!!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 05:33:44 pm »
+5
congrats on finishing!!!!!

see you tomorrow :-)
congrats!!!!
Congrats Taylor!!  ;D
See you tomorrow  :)

Thank you! It was so nice meeting you all today by the way  ;D

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
Re: The End of an Era
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2017, 07:34:54 pm »
+5
Wow it's been over a month since I touched this thread and so much has happened! I'll try and keep it a short and sweet as possible though, so here's what's happened post HSC

8/11 - ATAR notes meet up

9/11 to 11/11 - TARALGA
went camping out on a property in the middle of nowhere with 6 of my friends, explored the hills, skimmed rocks, played games and much, much more. It was AWESOME!!

13/11 - Drama Camp meet up
I went to arts alive drama camp in year 10 and yes, some of us still stay in touch and hang out several times throughout the year

14/11 - Formal
Won an award for "most likley to return to Riverside as a teacher"

20/11 to 4/12 - work experience
Did 6 days work experience at Blacktown City Council town planning cause I got accepted into a Bachelor of Planning at WSU (dunno if I mentioned it but yah, I got an SRS offer!) but it was sooooooooo boring. My mum works at the library and since that is also part of council she transferred me to the library for the other 4 days thank goodness! I was going insane with boredom at planning!

24/11 - a job interview for a job I didn't get

25/11 - Paddy Paulin Challenge
SUPER FUN but I wish we had more time to get to more checkpoints

5/12 to 8/12 - FORSTER
yet another cheap getaway with my friends, but with less of them for this trip. Got to swim, hang out on the beach, watch movies and play a heap of card games. The trip honeslty didn't last long enough!

9/12 - Vibz Concert
Went to my sister's dance concert, and SHE SLAYED! I'm so impressed with how far she's come this year! With me in the audience this year rather than the stage, my streak of winning the mini scholorship was broken but she carried on our family legacy, I'm so proud!

Apart from that I've also had a few work shifts and parties, causing me to have only 3 completley free days between the end of HSC and now, certainly no space for boredom here!

Wow our results are released at the end of this week, I don't know how to feel about that

Until next time,
Taylor  ;D

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 09:47:55 pm by Potatohater »

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 01:20:06 pm »
+8
So, here we are - Potentially the last post
Before I upgrade to a university journey journal that is  ;)

I'm pretty late to do this but oh well *shrugs* - It's story time!

HSC results
My HSC results woke me up at 5:45 on the 14th. I was just gonna pick up my phone to confirm that it was indeed NESA on that Thursday morning and go back to sleep. But there it was.

"NSW HSC 2017
Bio 96 6"

96! I was not expecting that! I opened up the rest of my results, hoping the news would only get better. It did and it didn't.
I'll be honest, I was a tad dissapointed and confused. My geography results and Drama results were lower than I was hoping for, and considering they were my favourite subjects and I put a lot of work into them I was kinda dissapointed. To counteract this though, my bio and English results were higher than expected! For English I reached my goal of 85, even though I was honestly expecting a 70 at that point, and bio exceeded my goal of 95. My whole perception of my strengths and weaknesses was turned on its head. After letting them sink in and analysing the exam and assesment mark breakdown I eventually settled at being happy with my results, because they are actually overall good. Here's what I got
Spoiler
Bio 96 - band 6
Drama 86 - band 5
Geo 92 - band 6
English Advanced 85 - band 5
General Maths 92 - band 6

ATAR release
I kept telling myself and others that I didn't care about my ATAR. I'd already been accepted into Western Sydney to do a Bachelor of Planning, and I was clearly gonna exceed the cut off for my 1st preference based on my HSC results. Afterall, the ATAR is just a rank, the HSC results are a much more accurate reflection of your acedemic achievment and efforts throughout the year, in my opinion. Sure, the HSC system still has flaws, but ultimately I was more worried about getting those band 6's than my ATAR.
My mum came in that morning and woke me up by trying to get into my iPad. Jokes on her, it was a 9am release today, not 6. Also, she couldn't have known my student number and pin.
Everyone in the house then left for school and work whilst I played "stick of truth" on the PlayStation. My game was soon interrupted, however, by a message that ATARs were released early. I logged on. There it was, BAM, staring me in the face:
How anticlimactic. I had my hopes at over 95, but was fine with anything over 90. 93.9 fell right between them so I just turned back to my game and let it sink in for a bit. Your ATAR really does mean nothing, and I realised that pretty damn quickly. The only thing I need it for now is some tutoring jobs I've applied for, and of course, to get into uni.

Uni Offers
I have 4 Uni courses on my UAC list. I now have 3 offers.
First came my SRS offer for Western Sydney Planning (2nd Preference), which I accepted at the time. Then MQU offered me a place to do Arts (4th preference) through their acedemic achievment program. I ignored this one though because I really don't want to go to MQU anymore.
Finally I got offered my 1st preference - Arts and Advanced studies at USYD. I accepted this one too, but it doesn't feel real. I'm now enrolled in 2 uni's and I have to withdraw from one before the census date.
The thing is though - I'm not sure what to pick. Ok, I've decided to persue arts after much internal debate, but once that decision was made came the lectures. My father came and lectured me to tears 3 times is one night because he doesn't agree with an arts degree. My mother was next. Then my grandparents, aunts, uncles, my best friend.... Every one of them telling me that I was wasting my time and money on a useless degree. "You got a high ATAR and you're going to do Arts?!" One uncle said on Christmas Day. He may have meant it as a joke, but honestly I'm sick of it.
So there's still a bit of doubt in my mind so who knows, maybe I'll completley change my plans and throw a plot twist into my life. But at the moment, I'm doing arts at USyd. I've picked my 1st year units and no one can do anything about it. I'll do what I want to do regardless of what everyone says.

See ya later alligators!
Hope you had a Merry Christmas, have a Happy New year, and enjoy the holidays!
Taylor  :P
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 01:22:40 pm by Potatohater »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2017, 01:41:00 pm »
+4
Congratulations Taylor! Do what you think feels right, that’s always the way to success. Looking forward to seeing your next journal!!