Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:53:27 am

Author Topic: Bee(a) buzzing through the hsc  (Read 28902 times)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Bee(a) buzzing through the hsc
« on: August 23, 2017, 11:19:21 pm »
+12
Bee(a) buzzing through the hsc

Got inspired by all the people who have already posted in this forum and thought it'll be great to join in!!

Stuff about me:

- My name is Bea lol and is pronounced as bay-ya. People pronounce it as bee (the inspiration for the thread's name I guess)

- I currently do Standard English, Mathematics, Society & Culture, Visual Arts, Ancient History and Catholic Studies (but this subject doesn't technically count). If I had to rank my subjects from best to worst, it'll be; Visual Arts, English, SAC, Maths and Ancient.

- Don't really plan on going to Uni. I'm trying to get into film school instead (no atar required) and do a bachelor/diploma in screen production. But I still want a decent ATAR (of at least 85) just in case I don't get in.

- Besides working on past papers, I've been working on my portfolio for film school. I also have an interview with another film school soon, which I'm really excited about!

So far my HSC year has been up and down. Term 1: Super motivated. Term 2: my lowest marks came from this term because I was terrible with time management and was struggling to do two majors at a time. Term 3: Had a study schedule, submitted assessments early. Very organised!. Term 4: Got lazy AFTER trials. I feel like I'm in limbo right now.

Haven't gotten all my marks back for trials but I got 56% for Maths (this was the worst exam i s2g. it was the cssa one), 83.3% average for my Paper two and 96% for art. I'm just hoping my marks for my other exams are decent.

I hope this journal will motivate me during the last moments of my HSC year!!

- Bea
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 11:27:24 pm by beatek »
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Bee(a) buzzing through the hsc
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 11:35:28 pm »
+3
Very keen to read your updates Bea! So what's the criteria for being accepted into the film schools you are applying for? Portfolio and interview, anything further? Any specific schools you have in mind or?  :)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 11:40:17 am »
+5
Very keen to read your updates Bea! So what's the criteria for being accepted into the film schools you are applying for? Portfolio and interview, anything further? Any specific schools you have in mind or?  :)

I'm trying to apply for two film schools; Australian Film Television Radio School (AFTRS) and Academy of Film, Theatre and Television (AFTT). AFTRS has a bachelor in screen production (three years) and AFTT has a diploma in screen and media (1 year)

For AFTRS, I need to submit a portfolio which consists of a 1000 word personal statement of my life, a creative piece, a review of a creative piece and a letter of recommendation. The intake for AFTRS is very limited because only 90-95 applicants get in. As for AFTT, I have an interview, that'll happen sometime in September.

If I don't get in, UNSW apparently has a bachelor in screen and sound & a bachelor in media and communication. The atar is 85+ I think.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 11:53:44 am »
+3
I'm trying to apply for two film schools; Australian Film Television Radio School (AFTRS) and Academy of Film, Theatre and Television (AFTT). AFTRS has a bachelor in screen production (three years) and AFTT has a diploma in screen and media (1 year)

For AFTRS, I need to submit a portfolio which consists of a 1000 word personal statement of my life, a creative piece, a review of a creative piece and a letter of recommendation. The intake for AFTRS is very limited because only 90-95 applicants get in. As for AFTT, I have an interview, that'll happen sometime in September.

If I don't get in, UNSW apparently has a bachelor in screen and sound & a bachelor in media and communication. The atar is 85+ I think.

Cool! Sounds like you've got a few good options, sounds like an intense process!! Interesting that you have to review a Creative piece for AFTRS, I suppose that makes a lot of sense for the degree you are doing  :o Best of luck with it all and fingers crossed you get into the ones you are favouring!!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 06:25:51 pm »
+7
August 24, 2017

Had my art exhibition this week, marking the end of my BOW journey. A huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders because I’ve spent a long time doing my BOW in the last five months. I should be relieved, but I’m quite sad about it. What do I do now? My two majors are now over.

I remember selecting my subjects back in Year 10 and the teacher who interviewed me said that I couldn’t handle doing two majors at once. Surely I started very late for my PIP (started in early Feb) and BOW (halfway through March), but once I started I couldn’t stop.

I spent countless hours editing my PIP and submitting it to my SAC teacher. I spent countless hours in the art room (during and after school hours) and in my room painting this BOW that I thought would never end. As much as I hated doing my majors at certain times, they were really fun to do because I was able to talk about a topic I was so passionate about and visually express my thoughts in a painting. There was no certain guideline to conform to, giving me this sense of freedom and uniqueness that set me apart from the other girls in my year group.

So to that teacher who said wouldn’t be able to survive two majors, well guess what? I managed perfectly well. I don’t regret this risky decision. This made my HSC year so much better!!  ;D ;D ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 12:32:45 am »
+3
Really enjoyed that last update Bea, congrats on finishing your two major works!! Sounds like you learned a lot from the experience :)

If you ever were interested in writing up a bit of a guide/recap of your HSC experience with regard to those major works, maybe a bit of a lessons learned/helping hand for anyone else to manage theirs (especially if they have more than one), let me know and we might be able to pop it in the Articles section!! I reckon it would be something really beneficial to a lot of people in years to come ;D

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 12:59:04 pm »
+2
Really enjoyed that last update Bea, congrats on finishing your two major works!! Sounds like you learned a lot from the experience :)

If you ever were interested in writing up a bit of a guide/recap of your HSC experience with regard to those major works, maybe a bit of a lessons learned/helping hand for anyone else to manage theirs (especially if they have more than one), let me know and we might be able to pop it in the Articles section!! I reckon it would be something really beneficial to a lot of people in years to come ;D

Thanks Jamon! Would love to write an article for atarnotes and share my tips for the upcoming hsc students!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 03:36:48 pm »
+2
Thanks Jamon! Would love to write an article for atarnotes and share my tips for the upcoming hsc students!!

Awesome!! I'll flick you a PM very soon :)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 06:41:19 pm »
+5
August 25, 2017

- Got my marks back for Paper One and I’m really happy about them besides my creative. My essay and unseen texts were surprisingly good. Kinda got sad when I didn’t get full marks for text one (painting), because I’m an art student and this question should have been my forte. Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. As for my creative, my teacher said it was good but I lost a lot of marks because I didn’t fit it to the stimulus (so many regrets)

- Got my marks back for ancient and I’ve improved so much from my half yearly result. Big shoutout to Susie, who taught at the Ancient lecture I attended and made Ancient a lot easier to learn! (how do i tag susie on this thread? lol)

- Attended the 2017/2018 College Captain speeches this morning and got a bit sad because it just made me realised that I’m graduating in less than a month and that I’m getting old.

- Had to take down my artwork and pack it away for submission this Monday. I took an awfully long time because I wasn’t ready to say goodbye to it. I know it sounds pathetic, but this work played an important role in my hsc year.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 08:01:47 pm »
+4
[not an official entry]

i genuinely feel like im in a limbo right now. its that awkward stage after trials and before the hsc, where there are no assessments, exams and majors. work is therefore optional (but is technically mandatory if you want to practice answering questions and want a high atar). kinda lost motivation and energy after trials. haven't really done any practice papers (besides maths ones. but even for maths, i don't even end up completing them because i get lazy. i've been doing practice answers for art, but there isn't really point because its my strongest subject and i should focus on my weak subjects instead) because teachers don't set a due date for them.

i really can't use my majors as an excuse for non-completion of past papers and homework anymore. i want to try and see if i can rewrite my essay for my mod b and do a pompeii question by tuesday. i also need to make notes for my new topic for sac. i still need to work on my film portfolio.

let's see how things go...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:04:26 pm by beatek »

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 08:09:44 pm »
+2
[not an official entry]

i genuinely feel like im in a limbo right now. its that awkward stage after trials and before the hsc, where there are no assessments, exams and majors. work is therefore optional (but is technically mandatory if you want to practice answering questions and want a high atar). kinda lost motivation and energy after trials. haven't really done any practice papers (besides maths ones. but even for maths, i don't even end up completing them because i get lazy. i've been doing practice answers for art, but there isn't really point because its my strongest subject and i should focus on my weak subjects instead) because teachers don't set a due date for them.

i really can't use my majors as an excuse for non-completion of past papers and homework anymore. i want to try and see if i can rewrite my essay for my mod b and do a pompeii question by tuesday. i also need to make notes for my new topic for sac. i still need to work on my film portfolio.

let's see how things go...

Take a break it seems like you're worn out for trials. After the break go hard! Read jake's recent article about how to plan the last 50 days for inspiration.

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 08:38:15 pm »
+3
Take a break it seems like you're worn out for trials. After the break go hard! Read jake's recent article about how to plan the last 50 days for inspiration.

This one ;) I agree with Pikachu, take a break! I didn't start full on study until maybe the second week of September, until then it was just whatever came from school and tidying up notes. You have to properly recharge! ;D

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 10:57:47 pm »
+3

This one ;) I agree with Pikachu, take a break! I didn't start full on study until maybe the second week of September, until then it was just whatever came from school and tidying up notes. You have to properly recharge! ;D

Thanks guys! I definitely needed that reassurance and support. I finished my trials three weeks ago (and my sac major) and thought I would be recharged by now. But then again, I just completed my art major last week so I need a well deserved break from that!

My brain right now is like that distracted boyfriend meme (included in attachments ;) )

I just read Jake's article and found it very useful. I'll probably start fixing my study timetable this or next week and work at my own pace :) But for now, I need to take a break (sidenote: anyone listen to hamilton here? ;) ;D )

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 11:33:46 pm »
+4
keep the memes coming!!!!! love the ones on the thread you created hahahahahah they're great

and it's okay, you do deserve a break. you feel a bit guilty at first, because you could be doing work, but it's so worth it because you feel really rested and more motivated to study (kind of?) you have a lot more energy after your break :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 04:25:13 pm »
+2
keep the memes coming!!!!! love the ones on the thread you created hahahahahah they're great

and it's okay, you do deserve a break. you feel a bit guilty at first, because you could be doing work, but it's so worth it because you feel really rested and more motivated to study (kind of?) you have a lot more energy after your break :-)

Thanks!! I feel soooo guilty for not doing any work ever since my trials ended three weeks ago. Some girls in my classes have started working on past papers and I feel that I am so behind (though they didn't have any majors to work on, so they had more time to have a break I guess). Everyone's different and work at their own paces.