Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:36:22 am

Author Topic: ATAR/Scaling Questions  (Read 142336 times)  Share 

ilovemycat

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
Re: ATAR/Scaling Questions
« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2018, 11:33:07 pm »
thank you heaps!  :) :)

mxrylyn

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2018, 01:21:53 pm »
Hello!

What would happen if, there were two people and a class and they are approximately 20% apart some one is at 65% and the other is at 51%,
what happens if in the HSC the one with 65% gets 95 and the one with 51% gets 40%?

also, as the person with 65%, is my moderated mark gong to be just whatever i got in the exam, or an average of both as i have been told many different things from teachers at school.

Thank youuu :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2018, 05:58:27 pm »

Hello!

What would happen if, there were two people and a class and they are approximately 20% apart some one is at 65% and the other is at 51%,
what happens if in the HSC the one with 65% gets 95 and the one with 51% gets 40%?

also, as the person with 65%, is my moderated mark gong to be just whatever i got in the exam, or an average of both as i have been told many different things from teachers at school.

Thank youuu :)

Really hard to say on that first one, it depends on the rest of the class! Your moderated mark for internals is a super complicated thing but it definitely ISN’T just what you get in the exam.

https://atarnotes.com/how-does-scaling-work/ —> This guide explains it all!

mxrylyn

• Forum Regular
« Reply #198 on: September 29, 2018, 12:41:23 pm »
Really hard to say on that first one, it depends on the rest of the class! Your moderated mark for internals is a super complicated thing but it definitely ISN’T just what you get in the exam.

https://atarnotes.com/how-does-scaling-work/ —> This guide explains it all!

Thank you!
It's just the two of us in that class so i thought there might have been some wierd rulefor when its only two people :)

Caleb Campion

• Forum Regular
« Reply #199 on: November 01, 2018, 09:27:12 pm »
Hey there 🙂
I just had a question about how to use ATAR Calculators. I was wondering do we put in what we think our raw marks will be or the HSC reported/ alligned marks we get the day before our ATAR?
So lets say (since I'm ranked first in all my subjects), I think I got 75/100 raw for 4U maths, do I put 75 in the HSC marks spot on the atar calculator, or do I put the 89/90 that it would be alligned to?
Because it makes a huge difference to the atar calculation if I were to put in my alligned marks, rather than the raw. Ie, I think I will get around 93/100 for legal studies raw, but that would be alligned to probably 96+, and gives a huge boost to the atar calculation

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #200 on: November 01, 2018, 10:43:04 pm »
+1
Hey there 🙂
I just had a question about how to use ATAR Calculators. I was wondering do we put in what we think our raw marks will be or the HSC reported/ alligned marks we get the day before our ATAR?
So lets say (since I'm ranked first in all my subjects), I think I got 75/100 raw for 4U maths, do I put 75 in the HSC marks spot on the atar calculator, or do I put the 89/90 that it would be alligned to?
Because it makes a huge difference to the atar calculation if I were to put in my alligned marks, rather than the raw. Ie, I think I will get around 93/100 for legal studies raw, but that would be alligned to probably 96+, and gives a huge boost to the atar calculation

The day before your ATAR you will have your aligned/moderated marks, and those are what should go into those calculators for the most accurate (but still essentially guessing) estimate! You can't just put what you think your exam mark will align to, because moderation also plays into it and that is almost impossible to predict!

Honestly, I'd not be putting stuff into an ATAR calculator right now. Why torture yourself with false hopes or unnecessary doom and glooms? Enjoy a month and a half of not needing to know anything about your marks, try and separate yourself from it!! It's all guesswork anyway, so I'd personally try and avoid It :)

Caleb Campion

• Forum Regular
« Reply #201 on: November 01, 2018, 11:14:32 pm »
The day before your ATAR you will have your aligned/moderated marks, and those are what should go into those calculators for the most accurate (but still essentially guessing) estimate! You can't just put what you think your exam mark will align to, because moderation also plays into it and that is almost impossible to predict!

Honestly, I'd not be putting stuff into an ATAR calculator right now. Why torture yourself with false hopes or unnecessary doom and glooms? Enjoy a month and a half of not needing to know anything about your marks, try and separate yourself from it!! It's all guesswork anyway, so I'd personally try and avoid It :)

Sure thing :) Thanks Jamon :))

yolande

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #202 on: November 06, 2018, 07:23:19 am »
+1
i got sick during the HSC examinations. I had DR Certs and illness/misadventure forms. I studied my butt off for a year and am really worried I have blown the exams. I was well for my 2 English papers and better for the final extension 1 paper, will they look at these results to see how well I could have done in
 the others? Can I have faith in the system that my illness will be taken into account? How does it work?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #203 on: November 06, 2018, 07:40:52 am »
+2
i got sick during the HSC examinations. I had DR Certs and illness/misadventure forms. I studied my butt off for a year and am really worried I have blown the exams. I was well for my 2 English papers and better for the final extension 1 paper, will they look at these results to see how well I could have done in
 the others? Can I have faith in the system that my illness will be taken into account? How does it work?

Hey! I have no idea about specifically how it works,  but it definitely does work. I had a friend apply for illness/misadventure for her General Maths exam and she was fine. The estimates, I imagine, would use the performance of your cohort along with your rank to give you an estimate! But I'm not totally sure.

You will absolutely be fine - Try not to worry! :)

holky

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #204 on: November 06, 2018, 08:40:01 am »
+1
Hey, I had a friend last year who didn't sit any of her exams bc of her health and her exam and assessment mark were the same, I think she said she got an estimste based on her assessment mark and rank

English Advanced  English Extension 1 Modern History CAFS Music 1 Drama

Mathematics 84

elewisdando

• Adventurer
« Reply #205 on: January 13, 2019, 11:14:53 pm »
I'm the only one in my school doing French extension, so does that mean that my internal assessments wouldn't really count, because my rank is already determined?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #206 on: January 14, 2019, 08:14:51 am »
+1
I'm the only one in my school doing French extension, so does that mean that my internal assessments wouldn't really count, because my rank is already determined?

Howdy! I have always wondered how this works, because the stuff I've read would suggest that, yes, the internal stuff won't count because you are guaranteed first place. But that just seems strange!! I'm honestly not 100% sure either way - Has anyone reading this heard anything about this situation, perhaps someone who has studied a course by themselves?

darcyynic

• MOTM: NOV 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #207 on: January 14, 2019, 10:49:10 am »
+6
Howdy! I have always wondered how this works, because the stuff I've read would suggest that, yes, the internal stuff won't count because you are guaranteed first place. But that just seems strange!! I'm honestly not 100% sure either way - Has anyone reading this heard anything about this situation, perhaps someone who has studied a course by themselves?

I was in two classes by myself (both extension subjects) and can confirm that essentially the internal assessments didn't matter in the end – I received my exam / Major Work mark as both my external and internal mark (which obviously averaged out to be the same!)

I was told, however, that it's best not to think of it that way for several reasons. First of all, if you believe that your internal marks don't matter, you're less likely to study as hard throughout the year and you'll be severely disadvantaged in terms of study hours by the time you get to the exam. Secondly, I was told that if there is a significant gap (caused by if you didn't do an assessment or didn't try) between your internal assessment mark and your examination mark, NESA can look into it.

I hope this helps. Basically, it's good news! You don't have to worry about getting those extra few marks to secure a high rank, you can just focus on doing your personal best. Just make sure to keep yourself motivated as you won't have any healthy competition. :)
HSC Class of 2018: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Modern History, Ancient History, History Extension, and German Continuers.

2019: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Politics and International Relations) (Dalyell Scholars) at USYD.

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #208 on: January 14, 2019, 11:33:12 am »
+4

Like darcyynic, I was also the only student in two of my classes (chem & 2u maths :o). So basically the internal assessment mark doesn't hold much value, as your final HSC mark will be what you got in the external exam (since its an average of exam + moderated assessment mark, which will be equal to your exam mark). But you really shouldn't disregard it completely.

Despite not having to work all year towards "ranks", I would also encourage you to work just as hard as you would if you had a whole class. It will definitely help you in the long run for exams. Also, if you had to misadventure one of your school assessments or even your external exam, your internal assessment mark is all they really have to work with to calculate your mark, so it definitely isn't completely irrelevant.  :)
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

full metal jacket

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2019, 11:16:17 pm »
How do you reckon the scaling would be for the 2019 hsc.
What year will it be similar to?