Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 08:12:22 pm

Author Topic: How much chem history is actually needed?  (Read 1077 times)  Share 

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
How much chem history is actually needed?
« on: May 04, 2019, 03:53:50 pm »
Hello,
In chem we spend a decent amount of time on how invented this or who discovered that with dates, places and the persons name. So just a lot of chem history. Do I need to remember any of this history for an exam? Or is it that important for me to know for the course?
(I'm doing units 1/2)
Thank You.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

DBA-144

• MOTM: APR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
Re: How much chem history is actually needed?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 04:00:18 pm »
Hello,
In chem we spend a decent amount of time on how invented this or who discovered that with dates, places and the persons name. So just a lot of chem history. Do I need to remember any of this history for an exam? Or is it that important for me to know for the course?
(I'm doing units 1/2)
Thank You.

Wouldn't bother with it. Unless it is for an assignment eg. research task yes you should research them but otherwise i do not see the point of doing so. If it is on a SAC, then if you want, go ahead, but just know that it is not required for 3/4 chem. The focus is largely on understanding and applying material taught, not on knowing who invented, where they lived, when, etc
PM me for Methods (raw 46) and Chemistry (raw 48) resources (notes, practice SACs, etc.)

I also offer tutoring for these subjects, units 1-4 :)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 05:09:35 pm »
+1
Hello,
(I'm doing units 1/2)
Thank You.
depends - When I was in 1/2 some teachers wanted you to understand the experiments they did to understand certain chemical aspects - for units 3/r it is largely irrelevant. So just confirm with your teacher how much of that stuff is just for context and what they want you to focus on.

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 05:24:48 pm »
depends - When I was in 1/2 some teachers wanted you to understand the experiments they did to understand certain chemical aspects - for units 3/r it is largely irrelevant. So just confirm with your teacher how much of that stuff is just for context and what they want you to focus on.

Wouldn't bother with it. Unless it is for an assignment eg. research task yes you should research them but otherwise i do not see the point of doing so. If it is on a SAC, then if you want, go ahead, but just know that it is not required for 3/4 chem. The focus is largely on understanding and applying material taught, not on knowing who invented, where they lived, when, etc

Thank you! this is really helpful.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

dashnog

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 02:10:05 am »
In the long term, needing to understand Dalton's, Rutherford's, Bohr's and Schrodinger's experiments and evolution on the description on the atom isn't going to be asked much if at all. It is great to understand for sure, and you may be asked an odd question like "Who conducted the gold foil test?" or "Why are atoms now drawn as electron clouds?" or other throwaway questions like that. When it comes to exam time, I'd probably just say gloss over it to be sure, but probably focus more of your efforts into the Materials AOS and stoichiometry.
Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholar's Program) at Monash (2021-2023)

ATAR: 94.XX
2019: VCE Biology & VCE Psychology
2020: VCE Extended Investigation, Chemistry, Music Performance, Methods, Literature